Red Dot Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Moxie

Red Dot Question

Post by Moxie »

If you use a Red Dot Scope on you crossbow, What yardage do you get it for and for what maximum distance do you shoot with that setting?

Thanks in advance!
Terry

Quad 300 x2
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

I use a red dot with my phoenix, sighted in dead on for 30 yards; with really heavy arrows it is 6" high at 15yards (highest); dead on at 3 yards.
about six low at 35yards..
your trajectory will likely be better / less sloping, as my arrows are 625grains with four inch fletchings speed is about 235 or so I guess... but 30 yards would be my sight in for almost any bow, and it would shoot just a little high at really short yardages after crossing line of sight within the first few yards..
My Opinion
dk
life guard at the gene pool
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I have mine at 30yds in the center of the crosshairs I do not actually use the dot setting on mine.
The best things in life are not things!!
liaf

Post by liaf »

I had a single red dot on my phoenix it was sighted in dead on at 28 yards. I was using the carbon arrows with 100 grain heads-total weight 375grains. The arrow was never more than 3 inches high from 10-20 yards and was 3 inches low at 33 yards. for each yard past 33 yards(up to 40 yards) the arrow dropped an additional inch per yard. Some people sight in their rifles this way I think its called P.B.R or point blank range. My reasoning for this is that 100 feet was my maximum range I could shoot w/o worrying about hold over or under. I have since got a vortex and anticipate another 3-4 yards added on w/o worrying about hold under or over.
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.
wabi

Post by wabi »

liaf wrote:I had a single red dot on my phoenix it was sighted in dead on at 28 yards. I was using the carbon arrows with 100 grain heads-total weight 375grains. The arrow was never more than 3 inches high from 10-20 yards and was 3 inches low at 33 yards. for each yard past 33 yards(up to 40 yards) the arrow dropped an additional inch per yard. Some people sight in their rifles this way I think its called P.B.R or point blank range. My reasoning for this is that 100 feet was my maximum range I could shoot w/o worrying about hold over or under. I have since got a vortex and anticipate another 3-4 yards added on w/o worrying about hold under or over.
Basically what I do with the main crosshair on my VariZone scope. Sighted @ 25 yards and deer within 30 requires holding in the center of the kill zone for a good hit.
wabi
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I do the same the top of the crosshair is 40 yds the center is 30 yds and the bottom is 20 yds
The best things in life are not things!!