Family day reflection

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly-Papa

Family day reflection

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

Today is family day and a provincial public holiday in Ontario. I take a moment this morning to reflect and realize how blessed I am with mine. I am really fortunate to have a son who enjoys the outdoors like I do and that I consider being my best friend. I introduced him to my passion for the great outdoors and he has willingly followed in my path. I still remember that memorable hunt we had together a couple of years ago as he sat on my lap and steadied himself for the shot which resulted in harvesting his first deer ever with the Exocet. A plaque on his bedroom wall commemorates the event. That day I saw in him the transition from a boy to a fine young man indeed. There have been hurdles along the way like many teenagers experience. Peer pressure takes its toll on even the strongest but I believe that the love and mentoring I provided has him on a true and straight path. He now has a part time job after school, has assumed a loan and is the proud owner of a Ford Ranger truck in which he assures me that he will now be the one to haul the deer out of the bush. We shall see! :)

I am equally blessed with a wonderful teenage daughter who also enjoys all kinds of outdoor activities although not exactly in tune with mine. She participates in the Path Finders (senior girl guides), is an accomplished down hill skier and plays soccer in the summer months. She always enjoys it when we bring venison home and has a voracious appetite for the meat. Her soft spot is hands off the bunny rabbits though. :roll:

My loving wife of 25 years as always supported my hobbies. Although not an outdoorsy type, she does enjoy camping, gardening and the occasional family fishing trip. She always prepares fabulous meals with the game I bring home. A man could not ask for any better. :D

Recently, I have had the opportunity to meet a great father and son team. They are neighbours down the street and come to find out newly licensed hunters in the last couple of months. I invited them to my camp yesterday and watched as my son introduced Matt to the fine art of shooting a .22. I could not believe the glow in his eyes after the session and wish I could have captured it on film. Matt peppered me with questions about hunting the rest of the afternoon and I shared as much of the knowledge I have with the remaining grey matter between my ears.

I like this 15-year-old kid and have now made it a mission of mine to mentor him much the same way that I once received from a great uncle of mine and then passed on to my son. Being new hunters and awaiting their firearms permit, they own no firearms of their own and we all know the initial costs of getting into this sport so if someone on this forum would have or know of someone that would have a reasonable price on an Excalibur crossbow only then please pm me with what you have. I would like to introduce Matt to the fine art of crossbow shooting.

Thanks for reading!

Grizzly-Papa
Life is too short to spend it indoors!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Matt is fortunate to have you as a mentor. That is very commendable of you to dedicate your time.
First, keep an eye out here in the Trading Post. Many good deals are found here for sure. Second, with summer coming I would suggest you put the bug in Matts ear regarding summer employment. Perhaps you and his father can chip in a few dollars each to mach Matts contribution to a fine future Excalibur Crossbow and future hunting experiences.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

Claude, I will donate a string if he gets a bow. I am sure I can also dig up some arrows as well. Let us all know when it happens. The young man will have to make some colour choices on the string and some choices on the arrows.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Huntz

Post by Huntz »

Kewl,keep up the good work!!!!! :D
Politically Incorrect and proud of it!!!!!!!!!
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I recently saw soom very good priced excals on e-bay very good prices...Im still tring to decide on what to get but that may be where i get mine..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

Boo wrote:Claude, I will donate a string if he gets a bow. I am sure I can also dig up some arrows as well. Let us all know when it happens. The young man will have to make some colour choices on the string and some choices on the arrows.
Boo that is a very kind and generous offer from you. I'm sure that Matt will appreciate "nothing but the best" for his Excalibur crossbow.

I did look at ebay but did not find any for sale as Hoss mentioned?

Grizzly-Papa
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Grizzly-Papa wrote:
Boo wrote:Claude, I will donate a string if he gets a bow. I am sure I can also dig up some arrows as well. Let us all know when it happens. The young man will have to make some colour choices on the string and some choices on the arrows.
Boo that is a very kind and generous offer from you. I'm sure that Matt will appreciate "nothing but the best" for his Excalibur crossbow.

I did look at ebay but did not find any for sale as Hoss mentioned?

Grizzly-Papa
With all the talk of Excaliburs on eBay a couple of weeks ago I took a look and didn't find anything either. Then I switched my default location from Canada to US in my eBay settings and suddenly I had page after page of xbows to choose from. It appears somebody at eBay Canada doesn't like xbows. :roll:
Boo

Post by Boo »

Tom, where is the default location located? Or do you mean you changed your address?
HW

Post by HW »

There are two different ebay locations.
ebay.ca and ebay.com.

.ca is Canadian, .com is US
Exocet 175
Boo String (Red&Black)
GT II's
2" Blazers
Slick Tricks
Dan Miller Mount
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Yes go to ebay .com.
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
Boo

Post by Boo »

There's a camp Vixen there!
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Boo wrote:Tom, where is the default location located? Or do you mean you changed your address?
Oops. On the iPhone eBay app it's a setting that was causing me problems. But on the the PC, it's a setting under Preferences on the left side of the screen and down a little that you will see after you run a search. It's different on the PC though because the options are US, North America, Worldwide. On the iPhone it was Canada, US, or any other country of my choosing. Canada only was causing me problems. On the PC it doesn't have the same problems.

BTW, Once eBay figures out you're Canadian it defaults to eBay.ca like Google does.
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

Yes, I see ebay.com now. What is the retail price of a Vixen in Canada? The reason I ask is that with the Canadian dollar now only worth 80 cents US, and then adding shipping plus duty renders what looks like a bargain not so in the long run. I've been stung with UPS exhorbitant brokerage fees in the past.
mikej

Post by mikej »

what a great gesture
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

grizz........ good on you help the lad out..
if you set the lad up with a bow,im sure we can all donate an item or two to add to his hunting gear..
im sure if i looked around here,i should be be able to donate a few items that are extra,s to my needs
cheers
Don
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them