corned venison recipe

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cabinfever

corned venison recipe

Post by cabinfever »

I thought I would share a recipe I have been making this for 3 years now. Everyone that tries it loves it. The recipe is for a 2-3 pound roast.
In a pot 2 quarts water, 1/2 cup canning/pickling salt, 1/2 cup tenderizing salt, 3tbls sugar, 2tbls mixed pickling spice, 2 bay leaves, 1/2tsp coriander, 8 whole black peppercorns, 3 garlic cloves peeled and minced. Bring all ingredients except roast to a boil (the house will smell great) remove from heat and allow it to cool. Put the roast in a large ziplock bag pour the liquid brine in the bag shake it to mix it up put it in the fridge for 5 days shake the bag twice a day. After 5 days rinse the roast put it in a pot of water and simmer until cooked to your desired state. A crock pot works good also. Makes a great reuben.
exocet 200
grounponder
lumizone
mathews switchback
high country extreme
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm reubens panfried :D with sauerkraut
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Sounds tasty!!!! We just finished a feed of canned moose that one of my Newfie workers brought back from his home. Tender!!!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I corned a whole deer ham this past fall, with a recipe virtually identical to the one you've offered. Only difference was that I used a pressure cooker to prepare mine after the brining. Pressure cookers make for a more tender final product, as a general rule.

Mine had a wonderful flavor, but I must say that it was VERY salty ... saltier than I personally like. It wasn't bad, it was just too salty for me. Next time I do it, I'm gonna cut back on the salt, since there's no need to do it for preservation.

I encourage everyone to try corning venison too! :D
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..............
I think I have a roast about the right size in the freezer right now!
Off to buy spices soon - this sounds good!!!!!!!!!!! :D

How long should it cook in the pressure cooker Grizz?
wabi
cabinfever

Post by cabinfever »

I usually cut back on the pickling salt about half. I just wrote the recipe as I found it. I have never tried a pressure cooker I think I know someone that might let me borrow one.
exocet 200
grounponder
lumizone
mathews switchback
high country extreme
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I use two tablespoons Morton"s Tender Quick and two teaspoons non-iodozed salt for two pounds of meat.

Corning is salt curing and salt was used to preserve the meat, but with refrigeration you can reduce the salt.

Ghost
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Sounds like a great way to do a roast. I can take a deer but i cant cook to save my life. :lol: thanks for a new recipe!
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

This I can do. This is just like pickling and I love pickling! I pickle garlic and hot peppers out of the garden in September. Reading this thread gave me an idea for pickled sausage and I have a freezer full of sausaged venison! And now that I think of it, I might as well pickle some eggs to go with the sausage. Hmmmm....I'm getting hungry...
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

wabi wrote: How long should it cook in the pressure cooker Grizz?
Wabi, I believe it was 45 minutes, after the air was exhausted and the weight was put on. I don't have the recipe in front of me at the moment, but I'd think 45 at pressure would do it for most any piece of meat.

I didn't do a whole big chunk. The recipe I used called for two-inch cubes.
Grizz
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Try this recipe:

Corned Venison

This recipe is for two pounds of meat, for more meat increase ingredients as needed. Combine the following for the brining solution in a pot.

1 quart water
2 tablespoons of Morton’s Tender quick
2 teaspoons of non-iodized table salt
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 tablespoons of finely ground crab boil spice
2 finely ground bay leaves
4 or more (to taste) ground peppercorns
3 large crushed garlic cloves

Bring all the ingredients to boil and simmer for a few minutes, then cool to room temperature. Cut venison (good way to use that “tuff stuff”) into 2 inch thick pieces. Place meat and cooled brining solution into large zip-lock plastic bag and seal. Place bag in container in refrigerator. At least twice a day stir the meat in the solution.

The diplomatic reason for the sealed plastic bag: If you placed the brining solution and meat in a non-metal container in the wife’s refrigerator and go in to stir the salty raw meat solution and slop some on the refrig or floor surfaces, it will create a diplomatic nightmare. However, if the sealed bag is never opened and you mix by rocking the bag back and forth the wife will be a lot happier.

After fours days remove bag with solution and meat. Discard brining solution and rinse meat, then cook. Place meat in roasting container, filled 2/3 full of water, and cook at 300 F until tender. I like to thin slice my meat so I cook until venison will easily pull apart with fork but will still hold it’s shape. If you are into pressure cookers, try 10 psi for 45 minutes. In either case thin-slice the meat while warm.

It should be noted that the reason for this recipe is the salt level of the corned venison. Most Americans today are a bit over weight and may be on a salt restricted diet and since refrigeration not salt is used to preserve our meat it should be possible to produce a lower salt product. The salt in this recipe is used to produced the corned flavor.

Ghost
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Sounds very tasty reubens are my favorite sandwich i remember mom maeing them when i was younger mmmmmmm mmmmmmm good!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Ghost wrote:Try this recipe: Corned Venison

Ghost
Welcome to the forum, Ghost! :D
Grizz