Some questions about Beagles..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Some questions about Beagles..

Post by Pydpiper »

With some Beagle pups coming around soon I am considering one for my family as a pet, to fill the void of our missing dog of 12 years.
I have some questions for the experienced..
I hear they are runners, can they be trained to stick around in a yard with people present? I have an acre of yard, half of it is fenced in.
As a dog that likes to take to a trail and run (I like that idea), can he run a trail while on a leash? I mean, if bunny hunting, can the dog be leashed or does it have to be released to do it's work?

It seems this breed is either loved or hated, and for a hunting buddy I think one would work out, but I don't want to burden my family with a pet that needs constant supervision. I am all for training a dog and spending a lot of time with it, but we are spoiled when it comes to pets and I want to make sure that a Beagle is going to be right for us.
I could really use some real life experiences to help with this decision.
Last edited by Pydpiper on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly-Papa

Post by Grizzly-Papa »

Life is too short to spend it indoors!
Houndsman

Post by Houndsman »

Pydpiper, I have hunted and participated in field trials with beagles for over thirty years.I always have 6-10 beagles here in my kennel and they are great little dogs.I know people who have them strictly as indoor pets and they love them as they are affectionate dogs and generally very good with kids.However they are hunting dogs and I would not expect one that was bred from hunting stock to stay in your yard.They are scent hounds and will go where their nose takes them.They can also be very vocal dogs,something you may want to consider.As far as hunting with them it is done off leash and they are cast to search and find the rabbit.Hope this helps some.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

It does help, yes, that whole leash thing has been on my mind all day.
I guess I have just never spent time around one to understand them.

My next thought is a Black and Tan, I keep reading about them and think that may be the dog we are after, we are an outdoor family (hunting, camping, boating..)so I am looking for a dog that will share our passion for the outdoors without wanting to take off at every opportunity. He/she will be able to come to work with me any time, or stay home in our spacious yard with 3 kids and a wife who is also longing for a new dog. I want a dog that can be trained to hunt rabbits, trail deer and play fetch for as long as my kids want it to. :D I have a substantial amount of time to give to the right dog.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
warpipe

Post by warpipe »

Hey Pydpiper, I had a beagle (male) for the past 11 years that was both a family pet and hunting dog. I found he'd stay around my yard as long as I was there and paying attention to him. If you took your eyes off of him for more than 5- 10 minutes then he would slowly wander away and I'd have to go look for him. I don't think you'd ever train one to be obedient like a lab as they seem to be stubborn and do what they want. That being said he was never totally out of control and not listen but you had to be patient. The trouble with having a hunting dog for a pet is that you run the risk of losing him after a chase. Mine always came back but there was a few times he was late and returning home without him wasn't an option. I don't think running them with a leash is possible because deer/rabbits will blast through some balsam thickets, junipers, mud holes and you will not want to follow a hyper beagle in those conditions. (If you try you may want a full faced helmet :lol: ) Although he required alot of patience and attention the sound of him coming over a ridge with a buck in front of him made it all worthwhile.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Having grown up with hounds (my dad was an avid fox hunter) and owning quite a few breeds of hunting dogs over the years, I'd have to say a Labrador retriever is probably the best of the breeds I've owned for serving as both family pet & hunting dog.
The hounds (beagles, bassets, & fox hounds) can be a challenge to train to have "manners" suitable for close association with people. :wink:
wabi
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Pyd just my 2 cents I have had both labs and hounds and right now have a lab, personally if you committ your time to any one of these breeds they will make great family and hunting companions its just the hounds may need a little more attention and watch out when they are on to something they do not always come back when YOU want them to.
The best things in life are not things!!
terrym

Post by terrym »

I used to have one and have had many friends who did and still breed them. They make great family pets as well as hunters but they are still a hound and will not stay put in a yard without being fenced or tied up. That nose never stops working !!!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hehehehe They are characters but I don't know anyone that knows them that will tell you any different. If they catch scent without you being able to stop them.......they are gone! They are real hunting machines.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
TPM

Post by TPM »

I am looking for a dog that will share our passion for the outdoors without wanting to take off at every opportunity.
Then you don't want a hound...
I want a dog that can be trained to hunt rabbits, trail deer and play fetch for as long as my kids want it to.
Then you want a hound... well except for the playing fetch part. :?

A beagles life is driven by two things, his nose and his stomach. And neither of those ever seem to get enough...

I understand what you're after but it's a tall order. With your kids at the ages they're at now I would lean toward a dog that's more of a family pet then a hunting dog. I totally understand your wanting a dog that can be useful in the field but at this stage in life I would make "a pet for the kids" more of a priority. Just my 2 cents worth... :?
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
ch312

Post by ch312 »

i couldnt decide between a beagle or lab so i got both :D

the lab (15 months) is much more receptive to training and shows more intelligence while the beagle (6 months) is very stubborn although she is still a pup. like that link says, the beagle seems to be harder to house train and sure does love to track.

the beagle is a little more feisty than the lab when it comes to play fighting and quite often gets a little too aggressive. but both are very loving and make great family pets.

i think youd be happy with a beagle if you like a more active dog with a lot of energy.

Boo

Post by Boo »

Love that picture Chris!
David, I don't think there's any dog that will chase rabbits and stick around the house(I could be wrong). A rabbit dog's purpose is to be sent on a mission as opposed to be hunting for you, the hunter like a Springer, Lab or Pointer does. I would never let my bird dogs chase because it would allow then to think it's ok to do with birds and then they would not mark the birds when they are shot down. Bird dogs are what you want around the house. Beagles like hounds are released. I've hunted over two beagles before and when they started baying we stayed put and the beagles would eventually bring the rabbits back in a big circle. I think if especially if you have a hunting dog you need to fence in your property. You are too close to the hwy for not fencing in your yard completely. If you get a bird dog and it is not fenced it will eventually start hunting on it's own and that will be the end of that.
Last edited by Boo on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
terrym

Post by terrym »

I really miss having a dog but to do the dog justice they need to be worked and trained and my life just doesn't allow that right now. My beagle had an amazing pedigree and my buddy owned the father which was a CKC finished champion and the mother had many trial wins herself. Unfortunately he got glaucoma and even with medication I eventually had to have him put down. I hope when life gets simpler to get another but will likely try a German short hair next time, I have always loved those especially the solid brown/liver coored ones tat are similar to the Weimeriner color. Anyway getting back to your dlemma you need to assume that the beagle will make a break for it every chance it gets.
mikej

Post by mikej »

Boo wrote:Hehehehe They are characters but I don't know anyone that knows them that will tell you any different. If they catch scent without you being able to stop them.......they are gone! They are real hunting machines.
exactly. if they get away on you there is no catching them you pretty much just have to let them run it out and grab them when they are done. i do love beagles but they can be a handful sometimes :lol: :lol:
Fox

Post by Fox »

I have always had beagles, they all have their own little personalities as do any other dog.
As for leaving them alone in the yard, they will most likely find their way onto a rabbit or deer track and you will hear them as they take off. I suggest unless you are with them and playing with them you would need them on leash unless you fence the reast of your yard.
They have always been great pets, they whine sometimes and are very loud when they bark, but they are not yappy dogs in general.
We actually use them for deer and we have had a few that we needed to keep on leash to keep them from taking a deer out the back of the drive, these dogs had a tendancy to run for days. It is no fun to run with a dog on leash through the bush, that's right everybody picture it, ha ha.

They are great dogs, I will be getting at least one soon enough.