which ground blind to buy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

which ground blind to buy

Post by one shot scott »

I am seriously thinking about getting a ground blind so my son can join me in the outside adventures :D He is showing a lot of interest in hunting. I would like one that is big enough for the two of us obviously, I would rather not smack him with a excalibur limb. I have heard that deer are easily spooked by horizontal lines from the windows. I am also interested in hearing from guys using them about the shoot-thru mesh. Any favorites out there?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

I use the Ameristep Doghouse. Fits me and my buddy with a tripod and a camera easily. This past turkey season, had 4 does 8yds away from it with all windows open. Didnt even spook, just fed right in front of the blind.

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

i have the 39.99 no name special from cabelas, and it has worked fantastic so far. deer and turkey don't seem to have any problem with it. i have not tried the shoot thru mesh yet, i am curious if it works without loosing accuracy.
Team Dryfire
saxman

Post by saxman »

I used the doghouse with great results this season but I set all the windows up in advance,they would be noisy trying to do it with game in view.
I have a groundmax blind that is BIG but noisy windows.

I want one with no zippers or velcro.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use a cheap blind called a sniper blind, paid around $100 for it, and I am very happy with it. The mesh has no affect on fixed broad heads, I have tried every possible scenario to check that out. I have tried a few mechanicals, but not enough to comment on.
I have never had a deer spook from one, or a turkey.
Mine is small, but I often get a couple of us in there, my kids love to be in the blind and they all know the drill, they can watch the animals right up to the point I need to shot, then they each have a place to duck and/or get out of the way for the actual shot. I have had 2 adults in it, but that was with shotguns, not crossbows.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

I've owned several makes and models of ground blinds. I quickly found out that buying a ground blind is like anything else, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

I now own and use three Double Bull T-2 blinds. They are tough as nails, extremely easy and quick to set up, durable, quiet, weather proof and roomy. The shoot through mesh is great, I replace mine once it has several holes in it. These blinds aren't real expensive. They can be bought for under $200 if you watch for sales. I also spray them with a scent free water repellant before each season. They are mad of a cotton duck material so are very quiet and strong.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

thanks for the repies guys, its nice to hear feedback from blind owners. There is just so many companies out there.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

If you wanna see what room the Doghouse has, im in Hamilton too and i'd gladly show you.

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Scott Archery Release

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Good for you for bringing a kid! I have pictures of each of mine sleeping in the bottom of my blind at different times. They have seen some pretty cool stuff from behind those screens!
Regardless of your choice enjoy the good times that are soon to come.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

Just try to see that it is not too shiny, and it needs to be larger than you would think was sufficient... I have a chair blind that had to be returned for a two man two chair blind cause it was too small for one guy to use, period..
dk
life guard at the gene pool
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I have the Outhouse, the Doghouse and a few of the Rifleman blinds. The Doghouse is the only one that I'd consider taking a 2nd person in. It's pretty good value for the money and not too heavy to lug around. Comfy enough and fairly sturdy when tied out.

The one thing I'm going to improve on the Outhouse is to cover the inside velcro strips (for the windows) with fleece, as they make loud scratchy sounds when I brush against them in the blind.

I can't afford the Double-Bull blinds, but if I could I'd have those.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
opossum

Post by opossum »

I bought the Primos Escape deluxe ground blind this fall for my son and myself.I like it real well.It is 77"Wx77"Lx75"H.I am 6'2" tall and I can stand up in it and move around.We put 2 chairs in it and still have plenty of room. :)
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I think Primos now owns Double Bull?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Thanks everyone for your input. Droptine, I may have to take you up on your offer. Are you happy with the layout, and finish of your blind? Do you find that it blends in well?
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Yea, i really like it.

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Scott Archery Release