first run munchmounts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sopchoppy

another mount

Post by Sopchoppy »

Gotta throw in my opinion on this string/mount discussion. The first thing I bought after my Vortex was a Boo string. There seemed to be so much to gain with this string. So, I bought one and had it sooner than I expected and it was all I wanted it to be. Don was just as good as everyone said he was and I will buy from him again.

Then, I had to have a groundpounder mount as I DID NOT like the OEM. I have an STS on my bow and saw there would be an issue with it in combination with the mount. Had some conversation with Groundpounder and had it figured out. The mount is exactly what I expected and I really like it.

So, as these "new and improved" strings and mounts come along, that's fine with me. But, I know the string and mount I have work and I don't have the inclination or $$$ to just go try some other design of the same thing I already have.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
ch312

Post by ch312 »

what im wondering is why this mount is so damn heavy and made out of steel. excalibur bows already a bit front end heavy and adding this mount would make it worse. at 4.5oz or a quarter pound these mounts are quite heavy.

munch claims "its worth it when you see how much it balances your bow" which is nothing but flat out bs. these bows are already front end heavy so any extra weight on the front end would make balance worse. now some weight on the butt end would improve balance.

it was worth a shot bud, but not everybodies inventions, or copies, make it :wink:
bj

Post by bj »

i'm sorry, but i can't believe i'm actually reading all of this...what's happened here that i don't know about ?....or maybe this site has just changed a bit?...maybe now only for the select few?,,,what happened to the constructive criticism, the great books of xbow knowledge, all of the helping hands, and ingenious inventions, by "everyone"...sure maybe the mount is the greatest, maybe it sucks...i'm not one to judge in an open forum...but like i said, maybe there's something i don't know about or maybe things really have changed...yep, maybe i should practice what i preach and just keep my own mouth shut...right?... :shock:...it's kind of like the best place to buy a new bow, either assembled or unassembled :shock: there's only only one place right ?...the best string...there's only one right?...the best quiver mount...there's only one, right/...sorry i disagree with all of my own statements, but i'm not about to do it on a public forum...just my 2 freaking cents and after all of the years, i think i can say that, right...maybe not ???
(yep you're right...i probably shouldn't have posted this, right ?...well maybe ?)

Wayne....
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

roland wrote:I don't have a top mount but I am wondering if they effect the range finder that is mounted over your scope?
Yes, it does. Unfortunately you can not use both at the same time. One of life's great curve balls I suppose. :wink:
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
dutchhunter

bs

Post by dutchhunter »

why call someone elses statments BS if you never tried them .bunch of girls DUTCH
ch312

Re: bs

Post by ch312 »

dutchhunter wrote:why call someone elses statments BS if you never tried them .bunch of girls DUTCH
it doesnt matter if you put a piece of lead or a munch mount on your bow its all the same when it comes to weight and balance. its better to have the majority of weight as close to your torso as possible to allow for longer STEADY hold on target. any extra weight on the limb end of your crossbow is going to make prolonged aiming more straining on your arms.

for unknown reasons "munch" decided it was appropriate to send me the same message 4 times via pm???
bj

Post by bj »

i disagree...target and steadyhold weight should be at the front of the bow...this steadies the hold and also helps in recoil and sound dissapation...suck it up and get lifting some weights :wink:

Wayne.........
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Pydpiper wrote:
roland wrote:I don't have a top mount but I am wondering if they effect the range finder that is mounted over your scope?
Yes, it does. Unfortunately you can not use both at the same time. One of life's great curve balls I suppose. :wink:
I have considered raising the rangefinder on a block (likely Styrofoam) to get it over the quiver, but it may become awkward at that point. I will find out come turkey season. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
ch312

Post by ch312 »

bj wrote:i disagree...target and steadyhold weight should be at the front of the bow...this steadies the hold and also helps in recoil and sound dissapation...suck it up and get lifting some weights :wink:

Wayne.........
i've been in construction for 5 years now so i doubt i need to be any stronger :wink:

yes a heavier object will be more steady (same as guns) but when it comes to hunting deer there may be situations where you need to hold at the ready position for much longer than you would like too. shots will likely be around 30 yards max for most ontario bow hunters so the extra weight wont even make a difference accuracy wise.

sound dissipation and recoil are irrelevant when it comes to todays crossbows. a stock excalibur wont spook a deer anymore than one thats pimped out with sound dampening accessories. :wink:

people seem to forget how slow and loud old school bows were and how many deer they killed before the speed and silence craze kicked in.

i just disagree with munch and his sales pitch that his mount will make your aim more steady :D
munch

Post by munch »

ch312 wrote:
bj wrote:i disagree...target and steadyhold weight should be at the front of the bow...this steadies the hold and also helps in recoil and sound dissapation...suck it up and get lifting some weights :wink:

Wayne.........
i've been in construction for 5 years now so i doubt i need to be any stronger :wink:

yes a heavier object will be more steady (same as guns) but when it comes to hunting deer there may be situations where you need to hold at the ready position for much longer than you would like too. shots will likely be around 30 yards max for most ontario bow hunters so the extra weight wont even make a difference accuracy wise.

sound dissipation and recoil are irrelevant when it comes to todays crossbows. a stock excalibur wont spook a deer anymore than one thats pimped out with sound dampening accessories. :wink:

people seem to forget how slow and loud old school bows were and how many deer they killed before the speed and silence craze kicked in.

i just disagree with munch and his sales pitch that his mount will make your aim more steady :D
where did you find the sales pitch that says this mount will make your aim more steady i don,t remember saying that .my old exomag has shot 8 deer a bull moose and a bear in 3 years and it holds steady most where shot at less than 10 yards and could have been shot with one hand shots.i like to wait and pass shots till the right one comes along
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

For what its worth I think multipule choices are great. The last thing we need is a monopoly in anything..BJ is right about comments to anyone..we need not get carried away begining with me. Munch e-mailed me and opologized for offending me after I stood up for some good men on this board. Munch I hope you dont mind but Im posting your PM.

Titled---> Ive learned to keep my mouth shut.

Now how humble is that? anyways

Hoss sorry to piss you off the thing i don't like about the whole thing is how everyone thinks i stole someones idea and nowhere have i said anything bad about Todd or his idea for mounting the quiver above the bow.i could have made the thing just like his but started this for my own bow but before i was done all my buddy's wanted one. i should have just kept my mouth shut because a lot had some good ideas and sent pms to tell me there ideas .but then you get the ones that think your dumb and don,t know how to spell cross .i have some other ideas for this mount and others and hope to show you guys in the future .as far as sending them to US that was out off respect to groundpounder and the market he has there i can not sell these in the US as cheap as todd can but i'm getting lots of calls for them down there and if people want to pay the shipping i will send them one .in the future i will try to keep my mouth shut when i hear those negative posts thanks terry

I say that points to character. I say make your Munch mounts Munch. Folks ifn you want one buy it. Critic his design in a nice helping way he needs it. Thats what makes us all better at what we do. No need to say more than that just because he wants to be an entrepreneur. more power to you Munch. Heck if I could come up with something new and it was something useful I would offer it to you good people. not expecting a monopoly on it. In fact I dont think one of us on here are the same at least I hope there isnt another me scary thought. lol

Folks on here have built a great reputation on here and some are gone that gave much here like redlabel and Digger. I know they would like us to do whats right. a lot of people enjoy this place we should strive to keep it on course starting with me..

respectfully submitted intended not to offend anyone.

Hoss
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

After reading through this thread I have to say I am a bit disturbed by how some people feel about what it actually means to "create" something, to have the depth and insight to take an idea and turn it in to a product. The first thing I think about when all this came about was the middelton crossbow, the way a guy took a pre-existing idea/product, made minor cosmetic changes and rode the shirt tail of the person who actually dedicated the time and money to make it all work in the first place.
Common practice in China, here in the rest of the world I thought, or at least hoped, we had a more defined set of morals.
Again, this isn't about munchs mount, it is about how easy people sell out on the ones who take the time to be creative.
I would bet my last dollar that Bill T doesn't see middelton as an "entrepreneur, or has any respect for him what so ever. That clown middelton took the Excalibur crossbow and copied it, made a couple minor changes and tried to tell the world it was his idea. Sad state of affairs.
What is wrong with finding something new and marketing that? Someone who copies an existing product for profit is the furthest thing from an "entrepreneur" as you can get.
WMU 91
Boo string
Real McCoy

Post by Real McCoy »

[quote=] the whole thing is how everyone thinks i stole someones idea and nowhere have i said anything bad about Todd or his idea for mounting the quiver above the bow.i could have made the thing just like his [/quote]

The problem is stating that this is a new mount - it is not, it is just like the groundpounder. It mounts to the bow with posts just like the groundpounder, a top plate mounts to the posts just like the groundpounder, the quiver mounts to the top plate the same as the groundpounder. If you could buy just the "arrowhead" plate I bet it would fit the groundpounder mount. A groundpounder mount was bought, was it used as a template.

If folks like this mount and want to buy one, I have no problem with that, just don't state that this is a new improved mount. Just put it out there and let people make up their own mind.

I the word "cros" is a problem just add another "s" to the word cros and close the space between the letters a little and increase the space between the letters on the other side a little so they come out even. Bet it would be enough difference in spacing to even notice.

Give credit where credit is due.
Southern Born and Bred
Exomax
Varizone
Groundpounder

A man who is good enough to shed his blood
for his country is good enough to be given a
square deal afterwards - Teddy Roosevelt
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Well folks I think, we beat this to death. If anyone should be mad about it it should be myself and groundpounder so lets just stop. Only problem I have is I asked munch if he asked and talked to the appropriate people cause of a lawsuit I had and then he called me names behind my back. Then he contacted people involved. This forum is much better than that. We are now fighting among ourselves. You can quitely can pick a side if you like and bank it in the brain and remember it when the time comes and you want a top mount you get it from where you want. As Boo said so elegently said one day, lets keep negitive posts where they belong. I for one certainly see where groundpounder went with this that his mount was used as a template at least where the posts are involved. I personally think the infighting needs to stop. If you don't agree with one side, its easy, don't buy one from that person. We have the best forum on the go lets keep it that way. And munch just remember we all visit many different forums and under different names sometimes. Just a word of advise once again for you. :) :)
Last edited by wheelie on Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Well said Wheelie
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount