Looking for information on German Shorthaired Pointers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Looking for information on German Shorthaired Pointers

Post by Pydpiper »

After a lot of reading, this forum and phone calls I am starting to narrow down a breed for our family.
I have spoke to a breeder that has 3 week old pups, ready to go at 7 weeks. I am going to bring the family up to meet them soon and was hoping for insight, as usual.
My intentions are no mystery, a family pet for the 5 of us who basically live outdoors, a companion to join me at work occasionally and a dog to spend time in the bush with me(us). My wife will likely licence it for night coon hunting down the road too.
The Shorthaired pointers seem to have a lot going for them as far as our needs go, but I need to learn a bit about blood lines so I know what to ask this breeder, and any others I may come across during this journey.
Anyone have any experience with shorthaired pointers? Are they all bred with the same intention? I am not interested in a show dog, I want one we can enjoy on many levels.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
huntman

Post by huntman »

I had a german short hair about 10 years ago. I got him from a guy who gave up on the dog, at that time i was doing alot of bird hunting with my father inlaw, he had an english setter and i loved watching the dog work for birds. When i got my pointer he was not intersted in hunting but I stuck with him and out of no where the dog became a vaccum. there wasnt a bird he couldnt find and hold his point on. The downside to this story and to the dog was the fact that he barked all night long. Whether he was in his kennel or just loose in the basement. I dont know if that is a trade of that breed, I dont know which breeder he originated from either. All I know is he was a pure breed german short hair that didnt shut up!!! :lol:

If i had to buy a family/hunting dog i would look at the poodle pointer! An amazing all around dog!

http://www.pineridgepudelpointers.com
peter p

Post by peter p »

I've had a few German short hair pointers. They are excellent hunting dogs but very high strung. You have to train them right or they will be 100 yards ahead of you running around like mad trying to find game.
I've also had Brittany Spaniels (the only spaniel breed that points). I think I would prefer the Brittany over the German short hair pointer.

Good luck on your decision. I'm sure you will make the right choice for your needs.
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

David;
It appears to me you are trying to find a dog with too many varied traits and skills. There is no do everything, be everything breed of dog. Limit yourself to a few important traits and skills and get a dog that has those. It sounds like a Lab or Golden retriever would be perfect for you and family.

GSP are very energetic dogs. They need a lot of work and training to settle them down. They are fantastic bird dogs but a little light on the pet side. Definitely not a coon hunting dog.
Having owned a couple of them through the years I found them to be intelligent but a bit hard headed, fantastic bird dog but far to high strung to be a good "pet". Very loyal and protective of their home area.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I guess this is why I ask these questions here, the hands on experience is priceless in this decision.
Everything I have read in the past day or so has indicated the GSP is a great dog in the house, but a couple of you say different. I take your words over anything I read simply because I know it is an unbiased opinion and for the most part I think most of you know what I am after.

DaGriz, the coon hunting thing means nothing, here in Ontario in order to coon hunt at night you need a licenced dog, the breed is irrelevent.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bucont

Post by bucont »

peter p wrote:I've had a few German short hair pointers. They are excellent hunting dogs but very high strung. You have to train them right or they will be 100 yards ahead of you running around like mad trying to find game.
I've also had Brittany Spaniels (the only spaniel breed that points). I think I would prefer the Brittany over the German short hair pointer.

Good luck on your decision. I'm sure you will make the right choice for your needs.
I agree with this statement as I have owned both and hunted behind both. GSP can be an aggressive with people and other dogs but are great strong hunters. Britts are by far in my opinion the best of both worlds, great hunters and good sized family dogs. Still they love to run and have a bunch of energy so be prepared.

My last Britt I ran every night for 20 minutes plus my wife would take him for his daily walk. Fast learner for sure, six months training netted us dog that would ring a bell to go outside, had the ability to take hand and whistle signals in the field at distance, whoa at any distance and heal off leash. Lots of time invested, but worth every second.

I am not sure about a Britt and coon hunting, these dogs are more apt to stand behind you when confronted by a coon than in front.

Good luck, and good stock makes the difference.

Last edited by bucont on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
TB

Post by TB »

Pydpiper before discarding labs check this website. This is where DU TV got their dog from. If you look at started dog pictures find Maggie from Mapleton Alberta its actually Ontario. They don't know the difference. Incredable dog. She will sit for 4-5 hrs beside me in the blind and Mark! PM me if you want more info.
http://www.uklabs.com/index2.html
TPM

Post by TPM »

You know were my vote goes...

The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
bails111

Post by bails111 »

I 'll have to agree with Huntman. PudelPointers are great all around dogs
great nose for birds and fur, will blood trail ,good water dogs,good house dogs and shed very little if at all.If you're prepared to spend the time working with one for so many varied jobs. They have a great temperment too. Everyone thinks there a poodle,whatever cross but they're their own long standing german purebred breed, recognised by the ckc. Mike at Pineridge Kennels has a couple litters due in March.
Play Safe
Beech

Post by Beech »

Nothing like a good lab. Thats all I have to say.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Pyd, can't help ya, the only GSH I was around was a pita. Hard to beat a lab for all around dog, some point, my bud in Kansas has a chocolate lab and is intent on killing every pheasant in the state

TPM, that's one GREAT looking dog!
"Eze 18:21"
DrDan

Post by DrDan »

I have years of experience with GSP's both hunting behind them and also treating them in veterinary hospital. They can be totally crazy without adequate training. If you are willing to spend lots of time training they can be great, but they are a little head strong and crazy.

I agree for an all around dog the black or chocolate lab might be good. Too many puppy mills have kind of screwed up the Goldens. Getting crazy ones, but most of the labs are great if worked with.

Hell why not go all the way and get a Newfoundland? Yah they are big but they are soooooo mellow. I love em!

DrDan
Phoenix - Equinox
Don't trust anyone wearing a necktie...
DrDan