Cooking Venison Hamburger

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DanO

Cooking Venison Hamburger

Post by DanO »

Just wondering if anyone has tried to BBQ a straight venison hamburger patti. My wife insists you need to add bread crumbs or an egg to have it bind together. I don't think they add any of that to commercially produced hamburger patties.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Boo

Post by Boo »

We always use an egg or two because they tend to fall apart when handling the burgers on the grill.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I cook up some bacon, than use the meat and the grease in the venison. It does add a nice flavour to the venison. I find even with that added that it still tends to crumble. Venison is just too lean on its own.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

It's nice to mix it with ground chuck or pork.

I like to use my ground deer for spag sauces and chili mostly.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

All great ideas and I am sure they taste good. In answer to your question, I BBQ venison burgers all the time, just making it into patties without adding anything. They are awesome.
greener

Venison burgers

Post by greener »

Just my own receipt , but works well on the bar-b-que. Mix two lbs. of venision burger with two eggs. Add 1 package of Liptons Onion soup mix. Take a handful of seasoned Croutons and crush in a zip lock bag with a rolling pin. Mix all the ingrediants in a large bowl. Roll about 6 oz. of burger in your hand until you get a firm ball , then flatten to burger thickness of your choice. Bar-b-que until done and enjoy. Make extra's as your buddies will want to sample them as well.
DanO

Post by DanO »

Thanks, folks! The venison has had some pork added to it to make it more moist. I like it in chili and spaghetti sauce as well. Just had a "discussion" with my better half about cooking the venison with no additives. My son doesn't like any kind of additional ingredients. My wife says it will fall apart on the grill. Sounds like it can be done. Thanks again.

:roll:
Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Nobody has mentioned it, but how well "deer burger" holds together in patty form depends a lot on how fine the grind is.

A lot of deer meat is ground much more coarsely than is commercial hamburger, because the sinew and whiteskin often left in the grind meat tends to clog grinders ... so, "the coarser the easier" ... so to speak.

When it's ground finely enough, you can get deer burger to hold together pretty well without making meatloaf out of it. All it takes is a little fat (or oil) to fry it.

That said, I like ground deer meat better when it's mixed 2-to-1 with hamburger or sausage. Just a personal preference.
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

I find ground deer meat holds together much better if I mix a few crushed saltines (crackers) with it before I press the patties.
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Grizzly Adam wrote: That said, I like ground deer meat better when it's mixed 2-to-1 with hamburger or sausage. Just a personal preference.
What kind of sausage? Like patties or links?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
cabinfever

Post by cabinfever »

With the pork alredy added it will hold together perfectly on the grill.
exocet 200
grounponder
lumizone
mathews switchback
high country extreme
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

i dont eat burgers :oops: ..as im watching my beer figure :?
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
dutchhunter

meat

Post by dutchhunter »

my kids love deer meat mixed with doritos chips crunched up in the hamburg with an egg then make pattys awsome DUTCH
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

now that is something i would not have thought about dutch. It sounds good!! Thats whats so nice about this forum, so much useful information. and people willing to share it.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

That is a great idea dutch, I am going to try that. I am going to have to get some jalapeno Doritos too for the wife and I. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string