O T canned deer meat

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dutchhunter

O T canned deer meat

Post by dutchhunter »

i was at the local almish farm getting my eggs this week when the old fellow came out to talk thy love to shot the breeze .any way thy were doing up some meat .canning it .so we got talking about it i guess thy cann a lot of meat beef lamb and deer so he gave me a few jars to try i got to say i was suprised it was very good ,it will keep for a whole year this way and does not need to be cooled until you open it .it is fully cooked in the jar you can eat it right out of the jar i warmed some up and made sandwiches wow was it good .anyways i got invited to bring sme deer over and thy will can it for a few dollars .i am going to do it for camp meat you can bring steak anywere and no cooler needed anybody els do this kind of thing DUTCH
bbbwb

canned deer meat

Post by bbbwb »

Very interesting that this topic comes up. 60 years ago my mother and dad used to can beef ----- quarts and quarts each year. This was their way of preserving meat until the cold storage people started renting out locker space. This was followed by the availability of the chest freezer for the home. I used to help testing the jars for leaks and packing the meat in the jars in readiness for cooking which took all afternoon as I recall
This christmas I was given some canned rabbit.The rabbit is very good --- just like the canned beef of times past. It has put me in search of the recipe in order to can meat this fall. So I am interested in any information on the seasoning, time cooking etc.
There was nothing better than the canned beef and mashed potatoes, carrots and fresh tea biscuits for supper on a very cold and blustery winter night after coming in from doing chores.

bbbwb
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

Can I ask How? If its a family secret I understand.

Thanks, Stosh
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

That is something I would like to try to do.

Dutchhunter were is that almish place?

There is a butcher at Islington and Queen St. W called Hugos.
He is a hunter also or used to be and sells canned deer & moose and also sells canned rolladen which is my favorite!

Paul.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
munch

Post by munch »

ed i had some done by the 2 amish sisters that live on zenda line just north of the 7th you can not tell it from beef they charged me $1.25 per quart but i had it cubed up ready for them
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Huntz

Post by Huntz »

I brown it in the frying pan.Fill up pints 1/2 teaspoon salt.Quarts a teaspoon.Pressure cook on 10 lbs for a hour.Some times we throw a little mustard in the jar to spike it up. :D
Politically Incorrect and proud of it!!!!!!!!!
mikej

Post by mikej »

3/4's of all of the venison i get each year is canned the rest goes to sausages that is the best way to have it in my opinion and it makes a fast meal
Grizzly Adam

Re: O T canned deer meat

Post by Grizzly Adam »

dutchhunter wrote: anybody els do this kind of thing
Yeah ... all my life long! :D

Enjoy your "new" discovery!

Get a Ball Blue Book! :P
Grizz
chadermaran

Post by chadermaran »

a couple small slices of green pepper thrown in the jar with the meat is good too.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

You guys are making me hungry! :D I have to keep an eye out for a pressure canner...
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
munch

Post by munch »

vix the ladies that did mine did not use a pressure cooker they said they do it in a bath but it takes much longer
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
cabinfever

Post by cabinfever »

I Think I need to go down to our local Amish community and try to buy some to see if I like it. Sounds like a good way to have meat at camp in the summer. I think it's lunch time.
exocet 200
grounponder
lumizone
mathews switchback
high country extreme
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

From what I understand using a pressure canner is the safest way to make it. Personally, I wouldn't take the health risk of doing it any other way.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

VixChix wrote:From what I understand using a pressure canner is the safest way to make it. Personally, I wouldn't take the health risk of doing it any other way.
I agree, Vix ... definitely when canning meat or low-acid veggies.

I come from a big gardening and canning family, and it's my opinion that there's no need to water-bath anything ... even high-acids like fruit and tomatoes. I think water-bathing uses too much time and expensive fuel, makes too much steam and is risky when putting up many foods. Why bother?

But that's only my opinion ... worth no more than it cost to read it! :D
Grizz
Apple_Orchard

Post by Apple_Orchard »

Oh my goodness. The first time I had canned venison several years ago, I knew those folks were on to something. YUM!!