Speed of Sound

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

lucky strike

Speed of Sound

Post by lucky strike »

Sitting around with my morning coffee and day dreaming about the last hunt. I got a thougt!-If the speed of sound is apprx 1100 fps, what difference does it make on how loud or noisy your x bow is. The sound got to the deer about 4x faster than your arrow!So all the noise supression devices and silencers to my way of thinking only cut down the sound for the shooter and not the game.I don't hold the title of genious. So,does anyone have any comments on the subject?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Some people just like stepping on rakes
saxman

Post by saxman »

I would say thats about right.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I was going to put a spankin on an old doe last year with my rifle. She was only about 75 yards away and it was one of those cool, calm, quiet mornings but when I flipped the safety off, she flew as if I had already pulled the trigger. So, my point is, I don't think that there is anything that you can do to make a difference as far as what the deer can and cannot hear. I think that those who choose to use noise and vibration dampening devices on their bows do so because these effects bother them, (the shooter) not so much the game that they pursue. Just my view from up here in the cheap seats.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

To avoid 'string jump' shoot at deer while they are calm and unaware. I look for those carrying a bong pipe. 8)
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I have mentioned it on other threads of a similar topic.

There is a sound suppression device that absolutely will work.

It's very inexpensive too. It's a shaped foam plastic or rubber material. Actually, two are required.

You put one in each of the deer's ears.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

We are going at this the wrong way . . . .

We can't slow down sound . . .however, we can slow down our arrows. Therefore, if we slow them down enough, then by the time the arrow arrives, the deer would have went back to grazing and no longer alert. Thus no string jump. 8)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

"String jump" is an over rated excuse for missing. ;)
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

There was a video done many years back by Drury Outdoors, which showed the reaction of a deer when an arrow was fired from a bow and why you should aim low. I believe it proved that a deer could drop as much as 18 inches [and I could be wrong in the inches dropped] in the process of getting out of the area. I remember they also showed it in slow motion. They also had the same thing happen with an elk and then repeated the process on a second elk.
Terry

Quad 300 x2
x-bowhunr

Post by x-bowhunr »

It's true that cutting our crossbow noise by about 50% with various modifications will not keep the remaining sound from reaching deer's ears before the bolt arrives. However, a softer, dampened sound should up the percentage of deer that don't react as panicy as immediately lowering their body and bolting. More may just lift their head and look curiously towards what they heard as the bolt reaches them. Regardless of the deer reaction that occurs at the shot, it is wise to aim for the lower half of the kill zone. If possible in your area, another solution is to setup to hunt where there is alot of backgound noise to fill the deer's ears to cover-up all or most of your shot sound. Two common examples of such areas are along interstate highways or nearby major airports. Deer in those locales are used to the constant loud noise. (The only negative in hunting there is that deer calls and rattling can't be used very effectively.)
Timothy
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Guys,

I have never had a deer "jump the sring" me that I know of.

I've killed my fair share at ranges of straight down to 42 yards. None moved until the arrow hit them.

A "wired deer" might move, but a calm one wont.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
njxbow

Post by njxbow »

i posted this earlier
for kicks i figured out that sound will travel 30 yds in .08 hundreths of a second.

depending on a speed of 300-350fps, the sound of the shot will reach an animal .18 to .22 hundreths of a second before the arrow does which basically means at 30yds, an animal has about 2 tenths of a second to clear out of the way.
jpcameron10

Post by jpcameron10 »

There was a video done many years back by Drury Outdoors, which showed the reaction of a deer when an arrow was fired from a bow and why you should aim low. I believe it proved that a deer could drop as much as 18 inches [and I could be wrong in the inches dropped] in the process of getting out of the area

i seen that episode and the your right the deer dropped 18 inches in .3 seconds at 30 yards i believe
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Hey, bstout, is that horse dead? Why are those guys beating on it??
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Big John

m

Post by Big John »

Thank's bstout. Sum's it up good.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]