Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fishtales

Post by fishtales »

Greetings, Just joined the board after monitoring it for the last several weeks. I'm 66, bow hunted (vertical) past 40 years but the last few years have had a problem pulling even my 50 lb. bow as a result of a bad rotor cuff. only able to do about 10 shots before too much pain. Probably a result of too much flyfishing and splitting 6-7 cords of wood yearly for as long as I can remember. Still managed a heavy 8 point with the compound this last Fall. However, live in PA, probably could have easily obtained a "disabled" permit for a crossbow but felt as long as I could pull the old bow I'd stick with it. Once PA allowed crossbows for all a few months ago decided it was time. Did a lot of research and decided on a Phoenix. I'm only 5' 10", 150 lbs and from all the reading thought it would suit me fine. My only holdup in purchasing before now is the PA reg not allowing scopes. Talked to Marketing Dude and he said they would come up with a red dot package. BUT, now all the talk is that the PA legislature is set to overturn the Game Commission on the no mag. sight reg unless the Game Commission sets it aside themselves at their April meeting. If it's not overturned soon I may just purchase the bow and then the accessories separately. If I go that route I may have some questions some of you I'm sure will have answers for. I live in a VERY remote rural section of NE PA. I'm over a mile back on a single lane private dirt drive on 53 acres surrounded on 3 sides by 6000 acres of PA Gamelands with really no access except up my private road. Only sounds I hear from my place are the birds and my dogs and chickens. Plenty of deer, turkey, and bear, heaven!!
The recluse miles back from anyone!
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Welcome that bow will suit you just fine.
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
killshot

Post by killshot »

sounds like you have your own piece of heaven. Welcome.
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS
Boo

Post by Boo »

Welcome, it does sound like heaven! Glad I don't live like that, I wouldn't make it to work, I'd need blinders! LOL!
Yup, that bow will keep you smiling!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
cabinfever

Post by cabinfever »

welcome, don't delay get the bow. Iknow a lot of hunters in ohio that won't use anything other than a single dot red dot on thier crossbows. I know a lot of people who went from 3 dot back to a single dot they claim a faster target acquistion. Just some thoughts.
exocet 200
grounponder
lumizone
mathews switchback
high country extreme
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Welcome aboard!
Your choice in internet sites is exquisite, your choice in bows only proves that further.
Enjoy and shoot safe!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Welcome, sounds nice, got a name of the road and a fire number, name on mailbox maybe? LOL j/k
fishtales

Thanks

Post by fishtales »

Thanks for all the positive quick feedback! I know I made the right choice. I'm going to wait till April to buy only because I'm 99% certain that magnifying scopes will be allowed by then and I'll just order one with the right stuff package. Our PA bow season doesn't start till about Oct. 1. A quick question. Being retired and on a fixed income I've looked around for a good price and found them all over the map. Actually found a Phoenix package with light right stuff package (varizone scope, 4 bolts, field heads, quiver but no rope cocking device) from an Ebay store (5 star rated) new for $499. Question: Does it really make any difference where I buy the bow?? Still has the dame warranty, right??
The recluse miles back from anyone!
Tar Heel

Re: New member

Post by Tar Heel »

fishtales wrote:Greetings, Just joined the board after monitoring it for the last several weeks. I'm 66, bow hunted (vertical) past 40 years but the last few years have had a problem pulling even my 50 lb. bow as a result of a bad rotor cuff. only able to do about 10 shots before too much pain. Probably a result of too much flyfishing and splitting 6-7 cords of wood yearly for as long as I can remember. Still managed a heavy 8 point with the compound this last Fall. However, live in PA, probably could have easily obtained a "disabled" permit for a crossbow but felt as long as I could pull the old bow I'd stick with it. Once PA allowed crossbows for all a few months ago decided it was time. Did a lot of research and decided on a Phoenix. I'm only 5' 10", 150 lbs and from all the reading thought it would suit me fine. My only holdup in purchasing before now is the PA reg not allowing scopes. Talked to Marketing Dude and he said they would come up with a red dot package. BUT, now all the talk is that the PA legislature is set to overturn the Game Commission on the no mag. sight reg unless the Game Commission sets it aside themselves at their April meeting. If it's not overturned soon I may just purchase the bow and then the accessories separately. If I go that route I may have some questions some of you I'm sure will have answers for. I live in a VERY remote rural section of NE PA. I'm over a mile back on a single lane private dirt drive on 53 acres surrounded on 3 sides by 6000 acres of PA Gamelands with really no access except up my private road. Only sounds I hear from my place are the birds and my dogs and chickens. Plenty of deer, turkey, and bear, heaven!!
Welcome aboard, I'm in the same boat as you also 66 with bad shoulders
i went to a crossbow in 2003 and joined this forum, this is a great bunch of guys and girls they will give some good advice.

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome friend :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

Welcome to the boards. Hope you read the new members post...you know the part that says you must allow at least 5 members access to your prime hunting area for the first season after you join.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
bigsy

Post by bigsy »

welcome, this is really a great place :D :D
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

welcome to the forum, they have great warranty
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
kyteach

Post by kyteach »

Same warrenty. Bouth mine from Ebay too. Buy as soon as you can and shot it before season starts. You will love it. Excal BEST crossbows made.
Exomax
Groundpounder mount
Boo Custom String
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:D First of all Welcome to the forum :D
Going with the Pheonix or the Ibex is a good choice . When you are able to use a magnified scope the varizone is a good choice on top of the bow .