Limbsaver crossbow silencer system

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

x-bowhunr

Limbsaver crossbow silencer system

Post by x-bowhunr »

While at an archery pro shop today to have my Equinox's serving widened to extend under the STS shock absorber pads, I was noticed this new system for sale. The soft rubber Limbsaver products by Sims Vibration Laboratory are made to reduce shock, vibration and noise. They have been making many such products that srew-on, bolt-on or peal-n stick-on to vertical bows and accessories for many years. Their crossbow system #3311 contains 2 Limbsaver ultras (designed differently for more shock absorption than their ultras for vertical limbs) that peal and stick onto solid (non-split) limbs, plus 2 crossbow string leeches and 1 bolt retainer dampener(peel n stick). The packet says, "...this 3-part system is guaranteed to reduce sound and vibration to a level never experienced before." The cost was $24.95. Has any forum member seen this product or added it to a crossbow yet? I did add to mine today (except the string leeches) but haven't shot yet to be able to comment on its level of effectiveness. If any of you have, please share your impression of it?
Timothy
bigsy

Post by bigsy »

On an episode of spirit of the wild the Nuge was raving about them, from what I could hear through the TV seemed to work well
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
saxman

Post by saxman »

Never seen that system but I have some of their other products and they work.
Let us know if you try it
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

Ted Nugget with an Excalibur Crossbow.

Here is Uncle Ted doing one of the things he does best, I'd still vote for him for President!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VtGRcA3mGs
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I tried some of these products in the past . They do tend to cut down noise to a point and some shock / vibration . It also costs you some speed . Tried bojacks and string tunerz on my exocet 200 . Lost about 10 fps and in 50 shots or so they were cut thru by the string .

Limb tunerz did the same job as the sim product but I could move them around to find the optimum placement . They were also easy to add to other accessories on my crossbow. ( they were made by a company called CSS - which I think is now maybe be part of Horton `)

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Arc ... 37108.html
Normous

Post by Normous »

theoldarcher wrote:Ted Nugget with an Excalibur Crossbow.

Here is Uncle Ted doing one of the things he does best, I'd still vote for him for President!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VtGRcA3mGs
Awesome clip. Thanks!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I think it's worthwhile to wipe the portion of a limb that you're going to affix a LimbSaver to with alcohol before you "stick it on" ... thus assuring that you have the best possible bond. Limb surfaces can be just as dusty, dirty and greasy as anything else.

Just wipe the area down good with alcohol, and it will soon evaporate dry. It makes for a much more secure adhesion.
Grizz
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

I tried them when they first came out and I was impressed with the reduction in noise, but not with the reduction in velocity. I experienced a 20 + FPS velocity reduction on my Max. I still firmly believe that you will never make a crossbow quiet enough that a deer won't hear it, but if you add enough stuff to it you just might make it slow enough that a deer can jump it. I won't use em myself.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I never put them on my Max. A bubby of mine was shooting his while I was watching. One of those things flew off and about hit me in the head(they fly off toward the shooter from the recoil). He took a couple of more shots and another flew off.

I certainly don't want to be spending money on something I can't count on to perform shot after shot.

We were only shooting from 20 yards and didn't notice a difference in POI after they flew off . . .but, the experience just left a bad taste. Of course, it could have been user error(maybe he didn't put them on correctly).

It's nice to have a quite bow to use while target shooting. However, when I'm hunting, I want all the speed I can get. That's why I've started using the Vixen to target shoot and the Max for hunting. It's a great combo for me.

Thanks again BillT!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Nuge aside, all the products do on a crossbow is reduce speed. Nothing makes a crossbow as quiet as a good vert because the string moves so much faster. Tried LS and leeches, no big difference except together they reduced my speed by some 15 fps. If you want somewhat quieter, shoot a heavy arrow. Even then, sound travels 4 times as fast as the fastest arrow. Deer will hear it every time is they are primed for flight. I keep my shots relatively short, under 40 yards, and shoot when the deer isn't expecting it.
x-bowhunr

Post by x-bowhunr »

Thanks to "theoldarcher" for Nugget's video on the limb saver crossbow silencers. Very interesting and it's great to hear him speak nationwide in support of crossbow use in state archery seasons. Concerning the string leeches, I chose not to install them due to string add-ons slowing velocity more than vibration eliminators attached in other locations. Like Nugget demonstrated, I had already attached two limb saver stick-ons to each limb. Except I located the lower ones at the inside base of the limb with the rubber edge just touching the edge of the riser to affect velocity less.
I also added a bolt-on limbsaver stabilizer-end silencer to each side of the foot stirrup. (Had to drill only 1/4" bolt holes but centered them perfectly so as to not overly weaken stirrup frame.) This modification really took the ringing sound and vibration out of the aluminum stirrup frame when you flick it wtih your finger, let alone when you fire it!
I just fired the Equinox with all the shock absorbing silencers, including the STS and I'm very pleased with the great sound/vibration reduction with no noticeable weight gain. I may still even do the "sprayfoam inside the rail job" as described on the forum too. I know that some forum members want and enjoy maximum velocity regardless of sound level. But, everyone to their own choosing. I bought the fastest Excalibur so that I can maximize silencing while it still produces plenty of speed for kills within my archery limit of 30 yds.[/u][/quote]
Timothy