What is happening with my cedar trees?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

What is happening with my cedar trees?

Post by Pydpiper »

These have been healthy trees for many years, but in the last month I have noticed there is bark missing, it almost looks calculated. It is only on the south side of the cedars, and it happening to about 20 of them. I have a double row of cedars that surrounds my house.
The only thing that has changed is that there have been about 30 squirrels re-located here in the past couple months, but I have never known a squirrel to peel of such large pieces. The damage starts about 4' up and happens in about 4-5' sections.
We are fearing a disease of some form.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
mikej

Post by mikej »

i see it all the time when i am walking. i have no idea what causes it but you aren't alone
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Beats me, Pyd ... and it wouldn't be safe to comment about a situation in a temperate zone so different from the one I live in ... but as a former nurseryman, I'd suggest you ask a local horticulturist or forester what's happening. They should know, or should be able to point you to someone who does know. :D
Grizz
bigsy

Post by bigsy »

did a quick search this site might help

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/cedar.htm

my brother is an arborist will ask him when I talk with him next
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
Normous

Post by Normous »

That big buck rubbing at night for revenge.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Fergie10

Post by Fergie10 »

im going to bet on squirrels they love that bark for there nests
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The other odd thing is that none of the bark is on the ground.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Fergie10

Post by Fergie10 »

i think its time for a ol squirrel hunt
bigsy

Post by bigsy »

Talk with my bro and he says the same as fergie10, they should stop peeling the bark soon as they move into their breeding season, thought this site might help to prevent it happing again :twisted:

http://www.gamowhisper.com/
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
maple

Post by maple »

Squirrels it is. Big black ones.

I've watched them in my back yard strip the bark from top to bottom of my cedar posts. Anything I put in, fence posts, clothesline, bird houses are all cleaned right off.

And once they line their nests and have babies, do you know what you're going to have more of? You guessed it.

Maple
cdup

Post by cdup »

enormous wrote:That big buck rubbing at night for revenge.

I was going to recommend a trail cam so we can figure out if it's the huge oversize buck or the squirrels. :lol:
Respect everyone, but fear no one
Boo

Post by Boo »

Definitely packing it in, when you called me I had imagined narrow strips. Feel the bark, if it isn't wet or very damp then the tree is packing it in.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

Had this situation on a section of my cedar trees fence line (15 ' high fence) in my backyard a few years back from a real harsh winter. The cause was Deers. They had nibbled from two feet from the ground to 5-6 feet high (guess they were standing on the hard snow).

Got the symptoms checked at the time by the Experimental Farm in Ottawa. They are the ones that told me it was common deer problem during harsh winter. Survival of three, 50% chance. Two of mine are dead, after a few years.
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
Vic

Post by Vic »

The trees in the picture appear to be on the "inside" of the tree clump. According to my peers before me showing me how to clear brush,they insist that is caused from no sunlight/water penetrating the middle. However, thin the dead ones out, and trim the cedar canopy, cut branches to the trunk appx 3'-6' from to ground (pending How tall trees are). Although its abit of work, it does help the cedars in the long run. we did it on our small field were ill be putting a plot, not only does it look professionally crafted, you keep the cedars growing instead of filling out when they get into those clumps.
ManX

Post by ManX »

In any cases you can use it for making good shafts for longbow arrows :wink:
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn235/ManX850/exorealtree-1.jpg[/img] ExomanX, Meopta 3100,[url=http://www.wolfszeit.com/images/WO.Mo.09-li..JPG]Wolfszeit[/url] scope mount, produce in ManX Factory spa: shock absorbers, 48 fff , 2216xx78 27% foc