11 year old girl defends herself

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

Skarek said:
The thing is that when they know that their prey don't have a gun, they skip using theirs. I think this is one of basis of my argument.
You obviously do not have the "ghetto" element we have here in the US. Many people are shot and killed after completely complying with the demands of these "people". You would be a fool (not for long) to maintain your attitude here.

I have 2 young boys who have been around firearms and trained by me since they were 3 (THREE) and they are respectful of these weapons and know how to use them. They are now 14 and 12. The guns are locked up in a "gun closet" but each boy knows where the key is in case of an emergency. We shoot, reload and hunt regularly and for them the firearm is a piece of equipment which demands caution and respect. They know NEVER to touch one either in our own home or elsewhere unless I am present and give them permission. They have had access to them since they were little kids with my supervision and so the aura of the "forbidden fruit" never developed in them. It was a decision I made years ago with a lot of soul searching and reading material from the NRA.

We have a large population of vicious criminals and gang-members here in the US that kill helpless victims without regard for anything and the age of the attackers has dropped dramatically. It is no more comforting to be shot to death by an 11 y/o than by an adult. And believe me if I tell you they know what they are doing. It is often a ritual for initiation into a gang. To be unarmed is to make yourself the sacrificial lamb. This is not Sweden.
Nocturnal

Post by Nocturnal »

In a scenario where seconds can mean life or death,guns locked in cabinets or unloaded guns are the same as having no gun.Harden criminals will not wait till you unlock or load!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Skarek wrote: But this might be my Swedish soul speaking. I/we have never understood the American need to use guns to "defend" themselves all the time. Statistics show that more "friendly" people is hurt by it than crooks...
Be careful of "stats" . . .there is no way of recording how many crimes never happen because the criminal sees a weapon and decides not to proceed. Also . . .I've seen many instances where the same stats/data was used to prove both sides of an arguement to be valid.

We are not in general a bunch of gun toting, quick to shoot folks either. I rarely seen anyone toting a gun other than a policeman. We do place a very high value on life, especially our own.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen