OFAH showing orange ATV helmet slip covers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fox

OFAH showing orange ATV helmet slip covers

Post by Fox »

So I know most of you in Ontario hunt with guns and therefore need to wear hunter orange for rifle season.
In the new OFAH mag they are trying to sell orange slip covers for the helmet.
Why is this needed?
I mean, you need to have a hunter orange hat on when you hunt, but you cannot hunt from an atv, and it is very hard to shoot with a helmet on. So why the heck would anyone need to purchase a hunter orange helmet or slip cover?
I do suggest you do not ride around with antlers bolted to your helmet, but if people are going to shoot you off your atv driving along a roadway then something slipped in the safety programs over the years and we have a lot more problems.

Any ideas?
kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

I sure don't know why they are needed unless new legislation coming. You need so many square inches of hunter orange. If you were wearing a large vest or hunting coat that covers that regulation. Our group wears head to toe hunter orange. When the atv's stop make sure it is 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset, hunting hats go on. keys removed from ignitions, guns removed from protectors, make sure you are off the traveled portion of the road and load the guns.Good luck
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
MPSNIPER

Post by MPSNIPER »

I believe that the analogy behind this is strictly safety. Yes a hunter needs to 100% identify his target before shooting, however if that was followed every time, then there would be no need for hunter orange at all. I know that during our rifle season, there are times that I'll jump on my atv and rundown the skidding trail to verify if the gang to the south are in hunting that day ( we both can hunt the same south parcel of bush) and there is no way I travel without orange head gear as well as a orange vest. I know there are places that only my head would be visible through the trees in the hilly areas. crap happens and I don't need anyone taking a pop at me with their 30.06's...
-Michael.
"like a hound...he hunts in his dreams"
Peach

Post by Peach »

For big game, you would obviously have your helmet off. But many guys up north here hunt small game on the atv's. A lot of us have the smaller helmets that still allow you to jump off the bike and shoot a bird or rabbit without taking your helmet off. This is why you need a skin. As soon as you jump off your bike and pursue an animal, you're hunting and while hunting, you need hunter orange on your noggin.
2008 Equinox - STS - Boo String
Fox

Post by Fox »

You would only need a skin if there was an open gun season for deer or moose when you are hunting small game.

I just find it interesting that they are pushing this in the Ontario Out of Doors.

I agree with the safety point of view, but I mean then should you have an orange truck? Orange cabin? Orange dogs?

I guess anything is possible.
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: You can also buy helments that are already hunter orange! :lol: :lol:
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

I don't wear orange unless i have to ....it seems when i wear orange the co's will pull you over more often to check to make sure u have everything in order all the paperwork etc ...