New Michigan Crossbow regulations

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

w8cop

New Michigan Crossbow regulations

Post by w8cop »

March 6, 2009
The Michigan Natural Resources Commission on Thursday approved a proposal to expand the use of crossbows for hunting in Michigan.

Under the new regulations, crossbows may be used:
during any season in which a firearm may be used, for both big and small game;
for any hunting season in Zone 3 of southern Michigan;
by anyone 50 years of age or older during the Oct. 1-Nov. 14 deer season.
Included in the regulations are limits on the velocity of the crossbow. Crossbows used for hunting are restricted to no more than 350 feet per second.

The regulations have a three-year sunset. Crossbow hunters will be surveyed over the next three years and regulations will then be re-evaluated by the Department of Natural Resources. Data will be collected that analyzes impact on the resource and the crossbow's potential to recruit or retain hunters. The data also will be analyzed to determine if crossbow use should be expanded further in the future.

A crossbow stamp will be required in addition to hunting licenses for those using crossbows. Stamps will be available at all license retailers starting March 15.

For more information on hunting opportunities in Michigan, visit the DNR's Web site at www.michigan.gov
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Ahh, part of the gun season eh? It just does not make sense to me to have a group of archers dressed in camo out in the feilds, when there are gun hunters out. Still, anythings better than nothing!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Huntz

Post by Huntz »

Blaze orange requirement in effect during gun season.
Politically Incorrect and proud of it!!!!!!!!!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) It may not sound like much BUT at least it is a toe in the door :)
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

Do you know if old farts like me who have a handicaped permit ,are now forced to buy yet another permit!

oneshot.........
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Minnesota opened to all during gun season last yr. Still takes a disabled permit for others regardless of age. And in their infinite wisdom DMN made ALL CENTERFIRE rifles of "22 caliber or larger" legal. So, the 22 Hornet is now legal for deer.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Do you know if old farts like me who have a handicaped permit ,are now forced to buy yet another permit!

In Mn you have to buy a gun lic and/or a bow lic, depending what is legal at the time. If you have a disability permit you can hunt the entire season with a crossbow. Archery season is from Sept 15 through Dec. If you hunt with a crossbow during gun season (up to 2 wks in mid Nov, depending on zone) and don't have a disability permit, you have to buy a gun lic.
michiganman

permits

Post by michiganman »

in michigan your disability permit remains as it was.you can hunt with it during archery regardless of age.and as stated above you would be required to wear orange during gun season.
here in michigan on public land you would be a fool not to wear it,you would be gutted out in a short time.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

In Mn you have to buy a gun lic and/or a bow lic, depending what is legal at the time. If you have a disability permit you can hunt the entire season with a crossbow. Archery season is from Sept 15 through Dec. If you hunt with a crossbow during gun season (up to 2 wks in mid Nov, depending on zone) and don't have a disability permit, you have to buy a gun lic.
michiganman

crossbow

Post by michiganman »

in michigan you have to buy your license as normal for the type of game your hunting.the disability permit just gives you legal rights to hunt with a cross bow.

im not sure with my disability permit if i will have to buy the stamp they mention. i will give dnr a call this week to find out.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

We hunted once and a short time in a public hunting area by Bad Axe.

They were lined up shoulder to shoulder, it seemed!

At first lihgt we ran for the truck!

Last time I stepped into that zone.

oneshot........
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
chadermaran

Post by chadermaran »

Those who have a disability permit will not have to buy the stamp that they are talking about. I know this is a step forward in the state toward full inclusion but I think the NRC kind of screwed up with the decisions they made. What I read on the michigan sportsman crossbow forums from those that attended the meeting it was very unorganized. Now all we have to do is get the legislature to pass full inclusion. I know the house has already passed full inclusion and all that stands in the way is for the senate to pass it. They have already spoken as to what they want but just havent voted on it yet. So maybe we will see it yet.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Reading some of the posts above it seems to me that some think this is only for the Michigan gun season, which it is not. Michigan's gun season is from November 15-30.

True, you can hunt with crossbows during the gun season and you could even before this bill passed. However, you have to abide by the gun laws which state you must wear some hunter orange.

Now crossbows will be legal for any season that is open to guns! Hooray!

Two things I do not understand about this though are the restrictions on crossbows; nothing over 350 fps and the length of the season. Archery season runs from Oct. 1 to Nov 14, but then again reopens Dec. 1 and runs into January. Why they did not include that season is beyond me....
Keep smiling!
Dennis
michiganman

cross bows

Post by michiganman »

i wont have to buy the stamp as i have a disability permit,and i dont know why they would charge for a stamp to use one.this would be the only weapon used requiring a stamp.
also your right as to hunting in december,this should have been included in the archery part.i would asume if you can use a gun in your area in december then you can use the cross bow.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
BigBwanaD

Post by BigBwanaD »

More detailed information from the Michigan DNR Website. Michigan is considered three zones for hunting. Zone 3, the lower portion is full inclusion while zone 1 and 2 still have restrictions. I am elated about the change and immediately purchased an Exomax. Can't wait to get my hands on it and will need lots of advice, but am already taking heat from my other "hunting buddies". I can't stand how we as sportsman, eat our young! Instead of focusing on increasing hunter numbers to protect, we all want to protect our turf. Number one complaint I've personally received all revolves around selfishness by the complainer. I.E., There will be more hunters out in archery season, they'll shoot all the good bucks before I get a chance, it will make bowhunting to easy and everyone will want to do it. I say AWESOME! Based on the legislation that has been introduced against guns in America since the election, I think we should all carefully consider these positions. We might wake up some day to not having this opportunity.

I'll step off my soapbox now and thank all of you for the wealth of knowledge here. I'm gorging myself on this stuff preparing to become one of you. If people read the kindness, insight, relationships that pursuit of our sport brings, how could they help but be supportive at every juncture? In just a week of finding this site, I have seen deep friendships, support for ill friends and family, donations and tributes for departed loved ones. A lot more positive than any other media that I look at. Thanks for proving that there is still some good out there!

Crossbow FAQs
Who can hunt with a crossbow?
Anyone who is 12-years-old or older and has obtained a crossbow stamp can hunt with a crossbow during any season when a firearm is allowed, for big game or small game. In addition, anyone who is 50 years older may use a crossbow during the Oct.1 – Nov. 14 archery deer season, with an archery license. And in Zone 3 (southern Michigan), anyone
12 and older can hunt with a crossbow during any hunting season as long as they have the appropriate licenses. Meanwhile, anyone who has obtained a crossbow permit because of a permanent disability can continue to use a crossbow.
Why is there total inclusion in just southern Michigan?
The Natural Resources Commission decided that the large deer population and the preponderance of private land in southern Michigan made it the best place to allow the widespread use of crossbows for evaluation while minimizing conflicts among hunters and without putting the resource at risk.
Why can’t I use a crossbow in the northern part of the state during the late archery deer season?
The NRC thought that the large migration of deer gathering in wintering yards might be subject deer to over-harvest if crossbows are widely adopted by hunters.
Why do I need a crossbow stamp?
The requirement of a crossbow stamp, which will be available free of charge beginning March 15 from all license vendors, is designed to help the Department of Natural Resources build a data base to conduct surveys. The surveys will help determine whether crossbows are effective in helping recruit new hunters, retain older hunters, and whether
they increase the harvest rates of deer. Results of the surveys will help wildlife officials determine whether the use of crossbows should be further expanded or restricted. Hunters already hunting under a DNR-issued crossbow permit will not need to get a crossbow stamp.
Why can’t 10- and 11-year-olds use crossbows?
The NRC thought that there might be potential safety issues involving very young hunters using crossbows, which, unlike conventional archery gear, are pre-cocked and loaded. The DNR is optimistic that hunter safety education programs will incorporate crossbows into the curriculum.
Are there any restrictions on crossbows?
Yes, hunters are limited to crossbows that shoot bolts at no more than 350 feet per second.
Is it true that deer hunters must wear hunter orange when using a crossbow?
Yes. State law is very specific that hunters must wear hunter orange unless they are hunting wild turkeys, waterfowl or with a bow and arrow. Crossbows do not meet the definition of “bow and arrow” in the current state law. The DNR will seek some modification of state law on this issue.
Why are these regulations valid for just three years?
The Natural Resources Commission passed these expanded crossbow regulations on a trial basis. They have directed the DNR to evaluate the use of crossbows on hunter recruitment, retention and effectiveness.