Trophy Hunter vs Meat Hunter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Peach

Trophy Hunter vs Meat Hunter

Post by Peach »

I was watching Wild TV sunday morning, and Jim Shockey was on with his dad doing a Saskatchewan deer hunt. I'm a big fan of Shockey because of the entertainment value and the quality of the footage. This particular show was just awesome. A big buck steps out and Jim tells his dad to shoot. His dad says "No way, it's too big", and that he wants a spike buck. Jim replies that a spike buck is next years big buck and he doesn't want to take one. His dad then replied "I want to eat it this year, not next year".

I thought it was a great contrast between the hunter of today, and the hunter of years gone past.
2008 Equinox - STS - Boo String
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I wish Jim would have replied "Then Dad, I think we should shoot a doe for the freezer and let the little spike walk, that way everybody wins."
terrym

Post by terrym »

I also watched that show. Shockey is my favourite TV hunting show guy. He seems to have a darn good time doing what he does and doesn't seem to imply he has invented sport hunting. I don't consider myself a trophy hunter. Any deer is a trophy with archery tackle IMHO.
Huntz

Post by Huntz »

Some of the Shows with him :lol: and his Dad are really funny!!!!
Politically Incorrect and proud of it!!!!!!!!!
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

That episode was hilarious. The old man is a real hoot. Funny how much of his dialog they have to bleep.
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

the ol fella has quite a snse of humoor.but if you want good meat shootum. young.
Peach

Post by Peach »

I had tears in my eyes laughing every time the old guy got up...calling out the good lord each time...reminded me of my grumpy old grandfather in his last days...hilarious.
2008 Equinox - STS - Boo String
Moosehead

Post by Moosehead »

terrym wrote:. Any deer is a trophy with archery tackle IMHO.
Yes Sir. You are quite correct here.

:)
dutchhunter

jimbo

Post by dutchhunter »

shockey does put on a great show .good old canadian red neck deer hunter i would love to hunt up there on one of his farms DUTCH
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Moosehead wrote:
terrym wrote:. Any deer is a trophy with archery tackle IMHO.
Yes Sir. You are quite correct here.

:)

Yep . . .and every deer has some meat on it too. :lol: I've tried to trophy hunt a time or two . . .guess I have devoloped an itchy finger. Any known cures?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

No cure for me either I've seen good bucks across the field but still shoot those little BBQ'S right in front of me :)

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Mike P wrote:I wish Jim would have replied "Then Dad, I think we should shoot a doe for the freezer and let the little spike walk, that way everybody wins."
LOL.. I was going to say the samething :D You cant eat antlers right :D

Ill admitt I trophy hunt 2months of the season. Mainly the month of Oct an Nov, along with the last week of season here :D

During the offtimes, Im on doe only mode unless a wallhanger walks out. Most of the time, ill wait untill last light before I decide. If I know he's not coming out then ill select which doe I want and wham :D

Its nothing wrong with trophy hunting, as long as you do take some doe throughout the year. But as Mike said, why shoot a Spike... shoot a doe and let that spike grow. Sure you are getting meat with a spike, but you are also wasting a possible 150inch buck that might walk by in 3 years :P :P

but I dont think down on anyone that does shoot a small buck.. its a free country and hunting means something different to everyone 8) :D
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Welllllllllll,

Big bucks are made out of meat too.

Actually MORE meat. ;)

I don't shoot little bucks and will pop a doe if the freezer is empty.

BUT - I do like to hunt big mature bucks...

No, wait a minute..Not "like", LOVE to hunt big mature bucks..

YMMV..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Woody Williams wrote:Welllllllllll,

Big bucks are made out of meat too.

Actually MORE meat. ;)

I don't shoot little bucks and will pop a doe if the freezer is empty.

BUT - I do like to hunt big mature bucks...

No, wait a minute..Not "like", LOVE to hunt big mature bucks..

YMMV..

true true, but they have TOUGH meat also. Granted you can slow cook a 200 pound buck and get it tender, but nothing beats a 90-120pound doe as far as taste
8) :D

im getting meat out now to cook.. this is making me hungry
:twisted:
Big John

I am

Post by Big John »

I am and alway's will be, a Meat Hunter. If ever I need a trophy for the wall, I will shoot one. Or if a Giant comes by, ok. But Meat is alway's formost in my mind, every time I go out. As my signature say's. I love all Game meats. Process, and cook all of it. And never have enough to last a full year!! :( Except when I get a Moose. :wink: Whenever I go out to hunt, I consider it going grocery shopping. :)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]