hunt camp power

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dutchhunter

hunt camp power

Post by dutchhunter »

can anybody tell me if a 950 watt genny is worth buying how much can 950 wat handel it is all greek to me DUTCH ps thy have them on sale down here for 99$ no tax
the elf

hunt camp power

Post by the elf »

Hi. 950 is not enough in my opinion---been there done that----only good for a small t.v.----a few light bulbs-----can't do a toaster --a coffee perk --an electric kettle---and only a 500 watt heater. I have a 1000 watt now and I am looking for a larger lighter newer technology of at least 1800--to 3000 watts. Sharing the cost of a larger wattage model may be an option for you----it depends on all the uses you have for the generator----and the manpower available when it comes time to move it. Some of the newer models don't weigh that much [the smaller models]. Hope this helps.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use the 950 for my camper, it will run the coffee maker if nothing else is on. It runs our TV, lights, water pump..
I also have a 5000 watt Honda my cousin gave me, it runs my entire home in a blackout.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I use a Kipor 2000W to power my camp and recharge batteries while it's running. It's one of those high tech gennies that can deliver what you need, when you need it, instead of running full blast to provide full power all the time. It's light weight - I can carry it in one hand. I can buy another identical model and run both in parallel to get 4000W. One 4000W gennie is a pain to lug around and pick up but 2 2000W gennies are no problem. These units aren't cheap though.

I have used a 950W and it was enough to charge a battery or power lights / LCD TV or radio. As mentioned above, it won't power any heavy draw appliances but it will power some lower draw power tools.

If price is an issue you should check Princess Auto or Canadian Tire for their gennies when they're on sale (50% off), but I'd seriously recommend nothing less that 1500W. Much more if you need it for appliances.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Even my 5000k generator bogs when a fridge or freezer kicks in, the initialization of a compressor is huge! A freezer and a fridge kicking in at the same time will slow my generator for a moment or two. Once they are running they require little power.
It is simple math to determine what your generator will handle, like Bob said everything has a stamp, so start adding it up. A 950 watt genny running a 100 watt bulb leaves 850 watts..
Another thing to consider is that that 950 is a Chinese made Generator, so the actual wattage is exaggerated. Mine has run great for 3 years of good hard use, while My father-in-laws requires you to inject propane straight in the air intake to get it running, has since day one.
Most appliances require a very different start up voltage than it would to simply keep running, fridges, freezers, electric motors like in a furnace. It often takes a bit of balance to run several items off of one, for instance here when my hydro goes out I have a few steps to take before firing everything up, like turning the furnace fan on constant opposed to letting it turn on automatically, a very small amount of current is needed to run a motor, a huge amount is needed to get it spinning. Too many things starting at one time can have very negative effects on a generator.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Benu

Post by Benu »

Pydpiper wrote:Even my 5000k generator
That is one powerfull genny at 5000K! :lol:

For alternative power there are many now affordable solar, wind and hydro (only if you have a river to divert water to turn a small turbine.) alternatives available. Canadian Tire even has a solar power section now too.
Take it easy.

Jason

2008 Phoenix
Varizone Scope
Benu

Post by Benu »

I was just kidding around with Pydpiper. 10 K is the largest I have seen, and they were mounted in transport trailers.

:P
Take it easy.

Jason

2008 Phoenix
Varizone Scope
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

bstout wrote:
Benu wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:Even my 5000k generator
That is one powerfull genny at 5000K! :lol:

For alternative power there are many now affordable solar, wind and hydro (only if you have a river to divert water to turn a small turbine.) alternatives available. Canadian Tire even has a solar power section now too.
I think Dave meant 5 kw.
I sure did mean 5kw, must have been the cold medicine.. :roll:
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Pydpiper wrote: I sure did mean 5kw, must have been the cold medicine.. :roll:
I thought you had that NyQuil addiction whipped last winter, Pyd! :P :wink:
Grizz
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Grizzly Adam wrote:
Pydpiper wrote: I sure did mean 5kw, must have been the cold medicine.. :roll:
I thought you had that NyQuil addiction whipped last winter, Pyd! :P :wink:
That was when I was still in denial mode. :D
WMU 91
Boo string
bbbwb

Hunt Camp Power

Post by bbbwb »

I purchased a Honda EU2000IC --2000 watt. It is like a large lunch box. I like it very much as I purchased it to also work for my home should power fail. It will run furnace fan, deep freeze , refrigerator - all individually NOT simultaneously. Check the label on each appliance to learn of the amps required. This is generally the amps used for operation and for start up I generalize by doubling this figure. In use for the appliances it is a case of musical plugs as one changes from one to another. I chose this size as I can transport it easily myself. Weight is 46 lbs. It is governor controlled to produce power equal to demand up to full output. Continuous output is rated at 1600 watts. This allows for unit to automatically operate on a slow speed to full throttle depending on the demand to be efficient in gas consumption and noise.
The formula for converting the wattage to amp required is :
Volts x Amps = Watts.
I hope this is helpful for those interested.

bbbwb
maple

Post by maple »

Honda EU 2000. Nice piece of work.

One of those neat inverter gennys.
Last edited by maple on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I also have a 5000 watt Honda my cousin gave me, it runs my entire home in a blackout.
Just a word of warning to anyone who has a generator set-up to power their house in case of a power failure. Make sure you have a proper transfer switch set-up!! Hydro workers are are put in great danger if a home generator back-feeds the grid because it is not properly isolated.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I see Canadian tire has those 950's for $99, they also have a 1200watt on sale for $199 right now.

Difference between the HondaEU and the rest of the units out there is remarkable. You can stand beside the Honda and have a conversation, hardly knowing the thing is running. The rest need a really long extension cord (also eats up the power) to manage the sound.
One of the guys who camps beside me at the Barrie automotive flea market has the the 1000i, you would not know it was running unless you walk right up to it.
Honda also uses an internal inverter, so it cycles in respect to the current draw. A cheap generator can give intermittent voltage spikes and drops which can damage sensitive equipment. I blew up a very expensive flashlight battery charger once with a Coleman generator.
WMU 91
Boo string