Rage broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Normous

Post by Normous »

UF, I took two this year, and 2 deer last year with the Rage 3 , all pushed by a GT II and powered by my Equinox. I had complete pass through on all 4.
Ribs and a upper leg bone got shattered without damaging the Rage. One blade did get bent slightly and got promptly got replaced. Also, I was also able to re-sharpen the blades with my Lansky. All four deer dropped within sight between 20-60 yards. Was I impressed? yes. Will I use them again? yes.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

My dad shoots them out of his compound bow and I will be shooting them out of my Exomax this season, I took some shots with his 2 blades and they fly identical to field tips. He drilled a doe at 37yds broadside and made an exit hole the size of your fist! It went 25yds!

Nothing but good things from Rage heads!

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I read somewhere they made some changes with these recently (last year or two), is there a way to tell the difference on the packaging as to which ones you are buying?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Not against them and was considering using them, but did hear of a recall about some of them not fully opening. Perhaps that was repaired, don't know.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

curmudgeon wrote:Not against them and was considering using them, but did hear of a recall about some of them not fully opening. Perhaps that was repaired, don't know.
they had to redesign the points where the blades open on impact. Some werent pointed enoguh to make the blades open but that was a issue I believe 3 years ago and all heads since should be well gone so its nothing but the good ones out now

I use them and love them.. my bro in law tried them and now he's hooked. I was a slick trick user but the slicks grouped about 2 inches to the right of my fieldtips and only had a 1inch cutting surface at that time. But I never had issues with them. Im just a sucker for the best flight and cut I can get so thats why i went to rage(3blade). Flight was 100% on the dot with the fieldtips!! The massivbe entry and exit holes were UNREAL! Trailing a deer after the shot was almost as if you had sliced is neck open with a knife. Now its some horror stories about these not opening and so forth. Ive never had badluck with them and to my knowledge none of the locals have either.

give them a try and you will love the results

they only come in 100gr sizes though :D
Normous

Post by Normous »

It is unlikely that any of the old recall ones are still found on any shelves at this point.
As a note to any current or potential users, I would highly suggest inspecting each one before loading. I have have experienced some blades not seated in the slip cam O-ring when removing them from the quiver. I may have contacted something while inserting or removing my arrows from the quiver or perhaps transport movement may have unseated a blade. It is automatic for me to make sure the blades are seated 100% before sliding them on deck for future duty.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
mikej

Post by mikej »

enormous wrote:It is unlikely that any of the old recall ones are still found on any shelves at this point.
As a note to any current or potential users, I would highly suggest inspecting each one before loading. I have have experienced some blades not seated in the slip cam O-ring when removing them from the quiver. I may have contacted something while inserting or removing my arrows from the quiver or perhaps transport movement may have unseated a blade. It is automatic for me to make sure the blades are seated 100% before sliding them on deck for future duty.
i always check my spitfires too. it is a good idea. you just never know
dutchhunter

equinox

Post by dutchhunter »

i shot the lighter two blad from my 200lb bows but i think the heavery three blade will shot better from my new EQUINOX ithink ecal recomends the 150 grain head now as well it will shot a littel quiter and hit a littel harder DUTCH
MNDeerHunter

Post by MNDeerHunter »

Have used the 3 blade rage for 2 years now and have had good luck with them. Only had one problem when I did not check that the blades were seated after crawling through some brush and shot and had the arrow do a nose dive from the one blade being open. Otherwise they fly true to my field points and I do not have to adjust anything. They slice open a deer upon impact and have not had a deer go beyond 30 yards.
Life goes by quick - so don't think about going hunting - get out there and DO IT!
Vortex
Lumizone
Customized Firebolts
Boo String
STS
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

The good: They shoot great, just like a field point. Even at 40 yards I still get a pass through with a 375gr arrow from an Exomax. The 1.5" cut from the 3-blade leaves a huge hole so you'll never have to track very far. I've shot a few deer with them and all had great entrance holes to match the exit.

The bad: A little pricey. Although they sell replacement blades, the heads really aren't reusable in my opinion. The blade deployment channels get dented after they are fired. This dent will likely cause a deployment problem if you try to use the head again.

I have a fresh pack and will have a couple in my quiver next season.

DuckHunt
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

DuckHunt wrote: the heads really aren't reusable in my opinion. DuckHunt
ill agree with you there... these are bascially a 1 shot one kill head. Ive had maybe 2 out of 10 heads that I could actaully reuse, but still I only keep those with me just incase I need a final kill shot for some odd reason, or if I get bored and a fox/yote bugs me the wrong way :D

uncle, judging by your deer.. 1 shot is all you need and its probably gonna be worth 10bucks for that head when he's on the wall for you;)

If I was in doe mode or just in a management area, then I would use slick tricks just because they are cheaper and very good :D
sunset

Post by sunset »

I have made a decision as well to use the Rage 2 blade this coming season. Considerations for this are the rear deployment, large wound channel and similar flight to fieldtips...and several members offering their experiences.
I understand CF's suggestion that a rage broadhead may not be resuable and that's OK if you can see your deer drop within sight. For this broadhead to be successsful I'm going to strictly follow the advice of enormous and fully inspect before sliding the bolt in place.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

sunset wrote:I have made a decision as well to use the Rage 2 blade this coming season. Considerations for this are the rear deployment, large wound channel and similar flight to fieldtips...and several members offering their experiences.
I understand CF's suggestion that a rage broadhead may not be resuable and that's OK if you can see your deer drop within sight. For this broadhead to be successsful I'm going to strictly follow the advice of enormous and fully inspect before sliding the bolt in place.
sunset, I always inspect any bhead before I load it on the bow. Its always a safety thing and espically when you only get one shot;)
TNXBow

Post by TNXBow »

I posted this last November, so my apologies to the forum members who have seen this.

Rage against Rage Broadheads – Almost lost a Big 10 Pt Buck

Plain and simple, the 2 Blade Rage broadhead did not open. It was 15 yard shot, right behind the lungs @ 7:30 am on Tuesday 11.18. I had plenty of time, with the 10 Pt Buck walking behind a Doe. Straight pass thru with plenty of blood on the each of the fletching, but almost no blood on the ground at the point of exit and a very small blood trail with both sides of the deer bleeding. I saw the impact and I was confident the Buck would drop in 50 yards. I tracked the deer over 1600 yards spending 20 hours over 3 days and with some help, found the deer @ 4:30 pm on Thursday 11.20. I will never use them again. I fully admit I was just slightly behind the lungs, but if the broadhead would have opened the results would have been different. I was unable to harvest any meat from the deer. In Tennessee, we don’t have the large racks that can be found in Iowa and Ohio. So I am very fortunate to be in a position to harvest this 10 Pt Buck had a green score of 156 ½.

I realize there is a risk that a mechanical broadhead would malfunction, but that risk is larger than I originally estimated. From this point forward, I will only used fixed blade broadheads. Everyone has their own experience, but I wanted to share my experience with the forum members. I have learned a lot over the past 3 years and appreciate the help to be a better hunter.
michiganman

rage

Post by michiganman »

i am not here to bash the rage head,as i have a few friends that have had good results with them.when i was checking them out last year i did a search on archery talk on the heads.there were to many failed heads that did not open.maybe they have solved the problem.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado