O/T its wabi fault

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

8up

O/T its wabi fault

Post by 8up »

Wabi you started the fishing post

Saturday a new friend took me out to show me how to target big Cats. We had the day of a lifetime and 3 of us boated over 400 pounds of fish. He wasn't marking many fish but when he did find some they were stacked up. we landed a 47lb, 46 lb, 43lb 2 more over 30 lbs and 5 more over 20 and an 18 and 17. Total weight for those 12 fish was 351 lbs we caught another 70-80 lbs in fish smaller than 17. All total we landed over 400 pounds. It was the best day my host has ever had and maybe the best I will ever have. My host is not a guide but maybe he should be.

I am also booked with rsimms in June and now he has his work cut out for him :grin:
My first of the day 17 pounds
My new personal best 47 pounds
24 pounds
35 pounds
2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
wabi

Post by wabi »

Some nice cats there!

They will be releasing rainbow trout in our local lake this weekend (an annual release by the DNR) so it's time to start fishing here. :lol:
wabi
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Wow them are some big cats. Looks like you had a blast. What river was you fishing in??
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Super catch Ron :) Your arms had a work out for sure, good pics thanks

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
mikej

Post by mikej »

nice fish
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Nice fish for sure! Wabi even when your bad your good! :lol:
mikej

Post by mikej »

how do you catch cat fish
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Nice looking cats! :D

I've been monster catfishing for blues on the famous James river in Virginia ... and we didn't use anything smaller than whole 8-inch shad for bait! :shock:

It is a blast!

One thing I found frustrating was that you could see and feel very nice cats hitting at the bait, but they weren't the monsters the guide was after, and they couldn't swallow the bait! :?

It was a very cool experience.

I'm glad you got to go! :D
Grizz
8up

Post by 8up »

we were fishing the Tennessee river using cut 3 inch chunks of skipjack herring. We were using 8/0 circle hooks and 3 ounces of lead to keep it on bottom in 57-60 foot of water.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Question.

I love eating catfish. Always have. We used to get them out of a river not far from where I grew up. But they were channel cats and a three pounder was big for us. But boy did they eat well. Now I eat the pond raised ones I buy at Costco.

Do you eat catfish that are monsters like those you caught 8up? Or are they not as good to eat?

I may never go swimming in fresh water again!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Mike P wrote: Do you eat catfish that are monsters like those you caught 8up? Or are they not as good to eat?
I don't know what 8up thinks, but I don't like really big cats nearly so well ... and if I think a big one will survive, I'll let it loose to fight again.

I like catfish in the 1-2 pound range for frying. Seems to me that big ones are wet and mushy and don't taste as good.

The best luck I've had with really big channels is cubing them up for "catfish nuggets" ... they seem to taste better that way. :D
Grizz
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

ummmmmm catfish nuggets :D
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
8up

Post by 8up »

We released all the cats. That said anything under 10 pounds to me is good eating. especially in the spring or winter. Colder water especially when caught deep seems to keep the meat firmer. The smaller the fish the less toxins it will have absorbed. When it comes to the monsters we hope they live to fight another day its not like we could afford to have one mounted.
mikej

Post by mikej »

8up wrote:We released all the cats. That said anything under 10 pounds to me is good eating. especially in the spring or winter. Colder water especially when caught deep seems to keep the meat firmer. The smaller the fish the less toxins it will have absorbed. When it comes to the monsters we hope they live to fight another day its not like we could afford to have one mounted.
no offense and they are huge fish but i don't think i would want one on my wall lets face it they aren't the nicest looking fish around great catch though hope i didn't offend anyone :lol:
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I'm with you on the "ugly" part. Ugh. I couldn't bring myself to eat them just because of their looks.

I remember catching a freshwater ling (burbot?) once while fishing in Alberta - it was huge, ugly, with several other old hooks in it's lower "lip". Came up like pulling on a deadhead log. Other anglers swore that it was excellent eating and I had no trouble pawning it off, but UGH there is no way I could have cooked and eaten it.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.