O/T its wabi fault

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

8up

Post by 8up »

Ugly? I think they are beautiful. They are also one of the most widely eaten fish in the US. They make up a big part of what shows up in commercial nets. But remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In the words of Frank Zappa "consider the beauty of a name like RALPH" :lol:
2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
mikej

Post by mikej »

sorry 8up
8up

Post by 8up »

Mike no need to be sorry I wasn't offended. I was just pointing out that we all find beauty in different things.

As for not eating something because it was ugly, did you ever see a pretty pig? lol just having some fun
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
wabi

Post by wabi »

Our local lake has been stocked heavily with channel cats. The overflow for the lake dumps into an old rock quarry pit that offers both depth and plenty of rock ledges which provide great nesting areas for catfish.
This old quarry isn't too big, but it's full of fish!

Sometimes the lake overflows, and the fish end up getting over the spillway.

I caught a lot of small channels (under a pound) last year to stock a buddy's pond and they have to be reproducing in the quarry, because the last stocking was over 5 years ago!

In late spring I usually catch a few channel cats in the 2-4pound range to bring home & clean. At that size they haven't absorbed too many toxins. (mercury levels are high - I've been told as a result of the coal fired power plants operating before the days of strict emissions controls)
To me a mess of catfish breaded in cornmeal and deep fried is about as good as it gets!
Last edited by wabi on Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wabi
mikej

Post by mikej »

good point 8up about the pig. i didn't say i wouldn't eat it because it was ugly . i just said i wouldn't mount something that ugly ( minds outta the gutter guys ) :lol: :lol:
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Your fish sandwich at Mcdonalds is that ugly fish, taste beautiful to me. Saw it on 20/20 got farms feed them like chickens put me in the mind of Perdue,

Wes

:) :)
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
cdup

Post by cdup »

Down here in Louisiana, the only way we cook the big cats are in a couveon. It's a dish prepared with a red sauce that kills the strong fish taste.
Respect everyone, but fear no one
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

wabi wrote: To me a mess of catfish breaded in cornmeal and deep fried is about as good as it gets!
Yeah, boy! :D 8)
Grizz
8up

Post by 8up »

When it comes to eating fish Walleye is my favorite but crappie and small catfish are tied for a close second. I catch a lot of bass but they are all released. Big cats get released too. I enjoy the fight even more than eating them.
mikej

Post by mikej »

my favourite eating fish is lake trout or pike walleye is good too
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Monster cats !! :shock:
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Grizzly Adam wrote:
The best luck I've had with really big channels is cubing them up for "catfish nuggets" ... they seem to taste better that way. :D

I think everything tastes better in nugget form.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot