who eats deer meat??????????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

mikej wrote:that is some fine lookin meals guys. grizz is that mushrooms and green peppers with that meat?
That pan was filled with the tenderloins from a cute little doe, sweet vidalia onions, fresh bell peppers and succulent button mushrooms ... all before making the gravy.

I like to use a can of mushroom soup too. Sometimes I'll make a brown gravy first, and then add the mushroom soup.

You can hardly go wrong! :D
Last edited by Grizzly Adam on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

These threads make me hungry!
I noticed the wife brought a roast out yesterday, she must have something planned..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bucont

Re: who eats deer meat??????????

Post by bucont »

wabi wrote:I usually kill a couple every year, but then there's always the problem of what to do with all that meat. Especially the cuts like those tough old backstraps. Well, this evening I was having a difficult time deciding on what to cook, so I thought why not have a skillet full of backstraps?
I have them sliced across the grain & cut thin so they are tender. I browned up a package, added some cream of mushroom soup, and let it simmer.........

.........while I cooked some biscuits in the convection toaster/oven.

Michael had a hunting video on the TV as we ate, and he kept taking a break to shoot more deer! :roll: (notice the jaws bulging with food as he hunts)
yep, that's Zeke, the always hungry kitty on the back of the seat eying Michael's food. :lol:
No such thing as leftovers in this house! :shock:
Nice form Michael, looks like you will be making room in that freezer soon. At least he was not shootin Zeke ... lol
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
dutchhunter

THE CANON

Post by dutchhunter »

WEEL MARCH BREAK STARTS TODAY so lets kick it off with a cook out somthing new the turkey canon ImageImageloaded ready for the bbq will keep you all posted DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Is it deer season yet?!?!!?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
maple

Post by maple »

Had a shoulder roast the other night, and it was GOOD!

I've tried this before and it is fast becoming one of my favourite roast recipes.

One roast, with or without bone, in a pot/roaster/Dutch oven with lid
2 cans kidney beans, liquid included
2 cans whole tomatoes, liqiud included
2 to 10 gloves of garlic
2 chunked onions
1 chopped celery stalks
1 TBSP Worchestershire sauce
thyme, bay leaf, salt, fresh pepper
optional: hot sauce (Frank's recommended), hot peppers,

Cook at 375 for 3 or more hours

The liquid ensures it is cooked moist and tender. Serve with bread, biscuits or buns to soak up all the tasty juices.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Is that stuff fit to eat? Only time I eat venison is when I'm alone..or with someone. :lol:
Made some once for someone who "didn't like venison." She ate it and asked for seconds, wanting to know what kind of meat it was. I told her "wood veal." When asked what that was, I said: "Would be veal ...if it weren't venison."
She didn't think it was funny....but she ate it.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Dang it Maple!
That just sounded so good I have the dutch oven loaded and in the oven right now! :lol:
Didn't have celery, so I added celery salt, plus threw in some parsnips, turnips, and carrots to the mix. Should be ready about 5:00PM.
wabi
wabi

Post by wabi »

I forgot!!!!!!!!!!
That was the roast I was going to use to try the corning recipe! :oops:
Oh well, I let it cook until almost 6:00PM, and it looked & smelled so good I didn't even get any pics. :lol: :lol:
Didn't quite follow the recipe exactly, but it sure was good anyway!
wabi
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

well after reading this thread..... i had to cook up this....
heres my contribution :D
venison shoulder chops,fried up with onions..

if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I do all my own processing and my deer end up as steaks, burger and roasts. The roasts usually end up as jerky. The steaks ALWAYS get the BBQ treatment :D . It has been years since I pan fried a steak, but I am partial to the cream soup simering method. Nothing better on a cold winter evening.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Sopchoppy

deer meat

Post by Sopchoppy »

I took seveal packs of cube steak to Vermont last week as we visited our son and grand daughter. Our son and his mother-in-law are some of those, "I don't like deer meat" folks. Well, after country fried cube steak and mashed taters and gravy, they were hollerin' for more. Our 20 month old grand daughter was eating it with both hands. The mother-in-law was telling everyone it was the best "steak" she had ever eaten. Our son took some to work one day for his lunch. So much for not liking deer.

As we all know, it's how you prepare it that makes it "Oh, so good". Dang! I'm hungry!!!!
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

just pulled a roast and some summer sausage out last night, looking forward to sandwiches again for a while.
Team Dryfire
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Got this idea from a friend take a package of partially thawed ground venison slice into 3/8ths of an inch.
Lay on the broiler pan and put sliced bacon on it 2 half strips to cover it.

Broil for about 40 min. GREAT with eggs.

Enjoy
Dereck
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

the back straps are my favorite part of the deer....never tuff the way i age and cook'um....i cut them into 1" thick medalion steaks and wrap them with strips of apple smoked bacon around the outside....then pan fry them 8 minutes a side....you'd be hard pressed to be able to tell them from beef..............bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.