who eats deer meat??????????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

who eats deer meat??????????

Post by wabi »

I usually kill a couple every year, but then there's always the problem of what to do with all that meat. Especially the cuts like those tough old backstraps. Well, this evening I was having a difficult time deciding on what to cook, so I thought why not have a skillet full of backstraps?
I have them sliced across the grain & cut thin so they are tender. I browned up a package, added some cream of mushroom soup, and let it simmer.........

.........while I cooked some biscuits in the convection toaster/oven.

Michael had a hunting video on the TV as we ate, and he kept taking a break to shoot more deer! :roll: (notice the jaws bulging with food as he hunts)
yep, that's Zeke, the always hungry kitty on the back of the seat eying Michael's food. :lol:
No such thing as leftovers in this house! :shock:
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

yesterday i cut up 2 tenderloins and one side of the backstraps. floured them and browned in skillet. then i put oinions in with them and all went into the crockpot.. we been eating on them wahoo! make you want to slap the taste out of the bad boys mouth down the road knowed what i mean vern!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bbbwb

Who eats deer meat???????

Post by bbbwb »

Around this part of the country, A fresh road kill deer is often a strange breed. By the time you get to retrieve it, it is the kind that does not have backstraps.
However those backstraps are delicious on the barbeque.
Your dish makes the mouth water as well.

bbbwb
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

hey wabi those tough old "other" parts of a deer can be separated out by section to get just the meat, then 20 min. in a pressure cooker and then cooked just like in your picture and is somekinda good with either cornbread or those biscuits. throw in a pot of pinto beans, and/or collard greens . but be sure to have enough time to "sleep it off" you are making me hungry
thanks philip
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Great minds think alike, Wabi! 8)

Grizz
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

now Griz iz makin me hungry!
thanks philip
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Here's a guaranteed winner! Take hog or deer tenderloins and whack them into 1-1.5" chunks across the grain. Beat them into a shape about like a saucer, or a little larger.

Dip in egg batter [3 eggs, 1.5 cups milk] roll them in Fish Fry, re dip in egg/milk thingy, then dip/roll them in bread crumbs.

Next, separate w/ wax paper and freeze. They need to hit the hot oil frozen, which keeps the batter on and makes it Goooood!!!

This is an Illinois pork tenderloin sandwich.

Acceptable variations: A little 'Worst Chester' sauce in milk/egg bath and a little garlic salt/onion powder in Fish Fry.

Canuck version: Add any damn thing you want.......
"Eze 18:21"
dutchhunter

red meat

Post by dutchhunter »

we love are der mea here .some pieces like back straps should not be cooked very long ty should be eaten pink .other chunks like the shoulder should be cooked for long time at low heat with lots of juice .ether way it is all good my kids fav is a tough chunck of meat in the crook pot with a can of tomatos and a pack of onion sou mix and a few mushrooms yummy .as far as turkeys go we bone them out cut in oe inch pieces floor or bread and deep fry for three minites dip insome souce ohya DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

now Dutch's turkey fingers are a makin me hungry!
thanks philip
michiganman

cooking

Post by michiganman »

wabi
when i was 17 my friends mother,(who was born ,raised in canada,cooked up a batch of deer like you made.was the best deer i ever ate,she also taught me let no meat man do my deer,so she taught us boys to cut up and debone all meat.

i brown it just like you do,a cast iron skillet is a must,three onions cut up,a can of mushrooms,and a can of cream mushroom soup.three hours at 300 and if you want it stew style just add potatoes,and some cut up carrots.this is both my daughters favorite dish.

for the turkey breast,cubed and throw on some ranch dressing for a hour.batter as you want,and deep fry,oh so good.we cook this at the wild game dinners,and you can do goose,duck pheasant this way too.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Moosehead

Post by Moosehead »

MMMMM Wabi, that looks goooood.

I love deer meat - anyway you slice it.

I told my kids if they made a cereal out of venison, I would eat it for breakfast....

DEER-I-O's anyone???

Cheers,

Moosehead :lol:
terrym

Post by terrym »

Well I didn't have any deer this weekend but I did have a nice feed of Pickeral tonight. Went ice fishing a couple weeks ago and we just got around to eating them tonight. Used Fishcrisp in the new garlic&butter flavour with some fresh asparagus and wild rice, still rubbing my bloated gut !!!!!!!
Phoenix
Boo string
Dan Miller quiver mount
STS
Varizone
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f205/linderhof/iceage.gif[/img]
mikej

Post by mikej »

that is some fine lookin meals guys. grizz is that mushrooms and green peppers with that meat?
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Great lookin meals ! ... I'm gettin hungry !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Good form Michael. ..looks like a direct hit. Cool to have food ready after all the practicing . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen