Flying With Firearms

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ecoaster

Flying With Firearms

Post by ecoaster »

My brother in law tells me he can't bring his shotgun here for the spring turkey hunt. He is flying from Halifax to Hamilton, and I'm assuming it is with WestJet. They told him he is not allowed to bring his gun even it there is no ammunition and it is dismantled and locked. :roll:

I am going to do some checking. Has anyone heard of this???? This seems stupid. One more control factor in the name of security. What next, you can't transport one in your car!
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Does not sound right to me. I have flown into Canada many times with firearms.

Go to the carriers site and look for their rules regarding the transport of firearms.

Most of the time you just have to go through an inspection showing the firearm is unloaded and ammunition is not carried in the same parcel, ie gun case. The gun case must also have locks.

Here is the way Air Canada handles it.

Firearms and ammunition

Firearms

* There is a fixed handling charge for the carriage of firearms anywhere Air Canada flies: $50 CAD/USD plus applicable taxes for one-way travel.
* Hunting rifles and shotguns are accepted as checked baggage only, and must be unloaded.
* The firearm must be inhibited from being fired by using a secure, locking device mechanism on the weapon, called a "Trigger Lock".
* The firearm must be packaged in a specially designed, non-see through case that cannot be easily broken into during transport.
* Before Air Canada accepts the firearm you must sign a declaration form attesting that the gun is unloaded as well as a limited release form.
* Restricted firearms such as handguns require government documentation for transport. Consult the Canadian Firearm Center or the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) for complete details.
* Passengers travelling to Seoul, South Korea and planning on bringing firearms into that country must contact Air Canada Reservations prior to travel for specific security requirements.

Ammunition

* Ammunition is only accepted in checked baggage and must be packaged separately from the firearm.
* Ammunition allowance is limited to 5 kg (11 LB) per passenger.
* Only shells or cartridges are acceptable types of ammunition.
* Gunpowder and gunpowder pellets are strictly prohibited.
* Ammunition must be packed securely in a strong container of wood, metal or fiberboard, plainly marked 'ammunition', or in the original inner carton.
* To avoid shock movement, the carton must be placed inside a suitcase and cushioned with clothing.
catcher

Post by catcher »

I think the problem is the ammunition. When I went to Alberta with Air Canada they were more concerned over ammunition more than the gun. Once I told them that I did not have ammo with me they were alot easier to deal with.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
mikej

Post by mikej »

doesn't sound right to me i would check into it
Normous

Post by Normous »

Just a possibe suggestion,if that is the case then perhaps he can send it UPS to your house after he broke it down for shipment. I have not heard of that rule yet in the past, it doesn't sound right.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
sleddog2

Post by sleddog2 »

This is what I found on their web page.

Rifles, Shotguns & Starter Pistols

Must be unloaded with amunition packed separately
Chambers must be empty
A trigger lock must be in place
Must be packed in locked, suitable carrying cases
Approval of WestJet required.

Sleddog
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I know he had looked into other airlines and the AMMUNITION was the restriction, but apparently whoever he had on the phone told him "No" to his gun also. He may have just been lucky enough to be speaking to an "anti" :x .

Thanks for the info guys. I will make some calls and let you guys know.

I know he was really looking forward to smokin a long beard with his old shotgun. 8)
catcher

Post by catcher »

Hey ecoaster I was wondering does your brother in law have to take the turkey course. I have a out of province friend who wants to shoot a gobbler and I just thought it would be to much of a pain for him to do it. If he had to take the course and everything. just wondering thanks.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Just an update on this.....

Looked at the WestJet page and found the info. Called my brother in law and he told me he had got the bad info from a friend. He is going to confirm with the airline that everything is cool before he goes to the airport, but it looks like he should have no problems bringing his own "thunder stick" for a chance at a "thunder chicken". :lol:
Normous

Post by Normous »

Cool, thanks for the update. Now how about a new future Avatar with the two of you and two birds.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I will see what we can do :D . I will let him shoot the big smart old tom and I will take second prize if the oppertunity arises. :twisted:
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

If for some reason he can't bring his I've got one that will require a good dusting!!! You know it works!! :wink: :wink:
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
gps

Re: Flying With Firearms

Post by gps »

ecoaster wrote:My brother in law tells me he can't bring his shotgun here for the spring turkey hunt. He is flying from Halifax to Hamilton, and I'm assuming it is with WestJet. They told him he is not allowed to bring his gun even it there is no ammunition and it is dismantled and locked. :roll:

I am going to do some checking. Has anyone heard of this???? This seems stupid. One more control factor in the name of security. What next, you can't transport one in your car!
This is not true. Both Air Canada and WJ will transport firearms. AC will ding you $50/item (this could be one case with more than one gun) and WJ does not charge from what I know. You may want to shop around to see if you can ship firearms cheaper than $50 (not likely) if you're flying AC. I've tried this and found that $50 is as good as it gets if I've booked with AC, which I often do because I use Aeroplan miles.

http://www.channelgroup.org/wjpassenger ... search.htm
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/ ... equip.html
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I tried flying with my firearm once, but I dropped it when I hit the ground at the foot of my ladder stand! :shock: :oops: :P :lol: :wink:
Grizz
mikej

Post by mikej »

Grizzly Adam wrote:I tried flying with my firearm once, but I dropped it when I hit the ground at the foot of my ladder stand! :shock: :oops: :P :lol: :wink:
:lol: :lol: what was the cost of this flight