Which scope do you use and why?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BigBwanaD

Which scope do you use and why?

Post by BigBwanaD »

Next to get is the scope for my Max. Talked to the pro shop and they said stay away from Lumizone and go with Varizone (no offense meant Bill). Figured I'd ask for opinions so let them fly!
mikej

Post by mikej »

i use the vari zone i love it. i have often thought of changing to the lumi but never have. i'm not sure i would use the lighted reticle much
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

mikej wrote:i use the vari zone i love it. i have often thought of changing to the lumi but never have. i'm not sure i would use the lighted reticle much
Xs 2, plus it came with the Right Stuff package I bought.
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
fletch

Post by fletch »

I have the lumizone and love it, no problems so far, maybe just lucky.
Exomax w/ Lumizone
custom Boo string w/silencers
GT II's w/r helical 4 deg offset
Slik Triks and Lumenoks
bbbwb

Which Scope do you use-----

Post by bbbwb »

I use the lumi and like it well. Generally use the lighted feature whenever I am practicing and hunting. It has served me well thus far.

bbbwb
ch312

Post by ch312 »

i think i have a varizone thats about 5 years old and it hasnt let me down yet. its perfect for my bow and is bang on with the different elevation dots from 20-50 yards. sure makes it a lot easier than using a normal scope and estimating holdover.
mikej

Post by mikej »

Kelley wrote:
mikej wrote:i use the vari zone i love it. i have often thought of changing to the lumi but never have. i'm not sure i would use the lighted reticle much
Xs 2, plus it came with the Right Stuff package I bought.
that is my reason too kelley :lol: :lol:
Boo

Re: Which scope do you use and why?

Post by Boo »

BigBwanaD wrote:Next to get is the scope for my Max. Talked to the pro shop and they said stay away from Lumizone and go with Varizone (no offense meant Bill). Figured I'd ask for opinions so let them fly!
What are you going to use it for?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
BigBwanaD

Post by BigBwanaD »

For hunting and of course practice. I've got an aimpoint I could put on it but I think I prefer the multiplex reticle for different ranges. Those of you that use the Varizone, have you ever not been able to see your reticle on game? Low light hunting might demand the lumizone. Also, anyone used it on black bear? Seems to me that you could lose the crosshairs on a non luminated reticle against that black coat.
mikej

Post by mikej »

BigBwanaD wrote:For hunting and of course practice. I've got an aimpoint I could put on it but I think I prefer the multiplex reticle for different ranges. Those of you that use the Varizone, have you ever not been able to see your reticle on game? Low light hunting might demand the lumizone. Also, anyone used it on black bear? Seems to me that you could lose the crosshairs on a non luminated reticle against that black coat.
never had a problem with either . i didn't pull the trigger on the bear but didn't have any problem seeing the reticle . i find the scope still draws enough light in low light situations to see just fine
Boo

Post by Boo »

The scope is offered on the basis of offering you something affordable and crossbow friendly. For my eyes they are bright enough for up to almost sunset but the critical half an hour after. The warranty is better than my Leupold VXIIs but no where as bright. There is less to go wrong with the Varizone compared to the Lumizone. The Varizone is noticeably lighter. I do not find the Lumizone truly brighter. I had 2 and really found that the illuminated crosshairs were very useful during the day or when sunset was closing. I found as that the darker it was the more the lit up lines disturbed my sight picture.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mikej

Post by mikej »

great review boo. i suppose they both hae thier pros and cons, if i were to find a decent used one for a good price i would probably give it a shot . you'd have nothing to loose and if i didn't like it i could switch back
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I have the VariZone, because that's what came with the Right Stuff package I ordered with my bow.

I haven't had any problems with it, but it's light gathering capabilities are what I'd call sub-par, as compared to better quality rifle scopes I own, such as my Leupold Gold Ring. I think the VariZone is almost too dim for last-minute hunting up in the evening, especially in a woods.

Your mileage may vary, of course! 8)
Grizz
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

I have been using the lumizone and had no problems as of yet. You get a good scope for the price. They were having problems with them awhile back but I think that was taken care of. I haven't used the lighted feature yet in a hunting situation as I have not needed it. Mine is on a vortex and I don't notice the extra weight at all. I am very happy with it.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Grizzly Adam wrote: I think the VariZone is almost too dim for last-minute hunting up in the evening, especially in a woods.
I very much agree with grizz's statement above. But one thing it does do for me is keep me from shooting that three or four minutes after legal hours. Don't want to open up any can of worms with that statement, lord knows I have been involved with enough controversies lately and don't want another.

That being said, I have a VariZone and a Dropzone , one on my carved tip exocet and the other on my phoenix. They are durable and have never failed me. I will try a Lumizone when the problems have been worked out. I do like the idea of the lighted reticle for low light conditions.

I cannot tell you the amount of times I have painted a buck in low light and could not see the cross hairs. What I can tell you is that when these events happened, I am pretty sure it was a few minutes past legal shooting hours.

If the Lumizone will give me just thirty seconds before the close of legal shooting on a very overcast day, it will be worth it to me.