Better late then never

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

roly the blacktails here on Vancouver Island are not huge, I believe the bucks can weight up to 160, 170 pounds. They are excellent eating almost as good as moose.

smokepolehall I really like the black and white photographs. That is a nice fork where did you harvest him.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i took him in Trinidad, Cailf. in 1962 when i got my Hunter safety card. used a 410 & and a slug about 25 yds.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

smokepolehall that blacktail was probably one of the contributing factors to your life long addiction to hunting. :D
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Blacktails are sooooooo kewl!

You are so very fortunate to be able to hunt them, I envy you.

Maritimer wrote:I had Elk stakes last night for supper and I have to admit my family and I enjoyed the taste of Elk more.
catcher wrote:I actually prefer Elk meat the best. :D

Once you have Elk, you never go back!
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

Mike P they are really fun to hunt, the huge bucks are incredibly smart and use the terrain to their advantage.

Blacktail Hunting, The Ultimate Challenge
A few Quotes from the artical Rick Johnson wrote.

" Blacktail are challenging largely because they know how to use their surrounding habit to their advantage. Unlike the mule deer, who is a lover of wide-open spaces, the blacktail buck is at home in brush-choked canyons, hillsides, and dark timber stands. And unlike the whitetail, who is an animal of habit and routine, the patterns of a blacktail buck are inconsistent at best. To top it all off, you'll have to deal with blistering temperature of summer and some of the most inhospitable country imaginable. Sound like a deer hunters worst nightmare, doesn't it? "

"In the 2001 August edition of North American Hunter magazine, author and renowned whitetail hunter Jim Shockey stated "it took this whitetail hunter 10 seasons, hunting in prime blacktail country in the mountains of the West Coast, to see the light and admit the awful truth. I was unworthy! Unless I got professional help or found a blacktail buck that God messed up on? I'd never hang my tag on a big Columbian Blacktail". Even with the help of well-known blacktail guides he admitted it still took him three more attempts before his search was over. Shockey ends the story by saying "I finally held in my hands the toughest of the deer to hunt, a big, mature Columbian Blacktail deer". Make no mistake, blacktail hunting is tough."

"If you are a sportsman seeking to complete your trophy room with every deer species North America has to offer, you'll eventually have to come out West to do so. And if you do happen to bag one, I will tip my hat to you, for you will have completed the ultimate challenge!"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

that forky was my 1st deer. i had read an article in Outdoor Life about the Blacktails of the sand dunes of Coosbay Oregon in 62. hunting them is great & someday i want to go back and hunt them again with my CB.
Half Bubble Off BD360

Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

smokepolehall they are really fun to hunt, especially with the crossbow. I have to admit that I really miss hunting whitetails for there are no whitetails here on Vancouver Island. I grew up hunting whitetails in New Brunswick, and I can still remember the first whitetail I ever harvested. It was a large doe and I can still remember the smile on my fathers face, I was as proud as a peacock. :P
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i love to deer hunt, any of them is great. just have to do diff things with the type your hunting in mind.
Half Bubble Off BD360

R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's ... you guys have no problem keepin the game freezer full on the island !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

My wife harvested the first buck and I harvested the other 2.