Solar Panels

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

farmer54

Solar Panels

Post by farmer54 »

I am putting solar panels on my trail cameras. Was wondering what angle the panels have to be at to get the most sunlight. Would the panels have to be on a 60 or 45 degree angle to the sun? Also do the panels work better when the sun is at it highest point or more towards the afternoon sun? Tried to get info from web sights but not getting much luck.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Don't know myself, Farmer ... but you might try the Backwoods Home website.

They've printed a number of solar power articles in the past. Their website is worth a look in any case. One of my favorite magazines.

Might give Mother Earth News a try, too.

Neither will have specific info about trail cams, likely, but they might have the general info you seek! :D
Grizz
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

The best things in life are not things!!
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

Here is another site to try,
http://www.freesunpower.com/solarpanels.php

Quoted from the site above:

"Fixed solar panel mounts : If you use the most simple and least expensive type of solar panel mounting system, it will be completely stationary. The solar panels should always face the equator. (due south in the northern hemisphere). Don't forget that true south varies from magnetic south. This can make a huge difference. For example, true south in eastern Washington state is 161 on a compass instead of 180. The angle of inclination (tilt) in degrees should be set to about your latitude. Slightly more than your latitude will favor the winter sun and slightly less will favor the summer sun. (for a seasonal cabin for example). Earth sheltered energy efficient solar energy home

Adjustable solar panel mounts : The angle of inclination (tilt) of an adjustable solar panel mount can be changed 2 or more times during the year to account for the lower angle of the sun in winter as the earth orbits the sun causing seasonal change. A good rule of thumb is latitude + 15 degrees in the winter and latitude - 15 degrees in the summer. This will increase overall solar panel output by approximately 25%. I adjust my solar panel array 4 times per year. (Shown here in its summer position). An easy approach that works pretty good is to set the tilt for the winter position in about mid October and back to summer position in mid March."

-M
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

doesn't matter awhole lot as they work even when cloudy but I would put them on a 45 0 angle to let the rain run off and where they have the most sun. bascicly thats what I do with house panels
farmer54

Post by farmer54 »

Thanks for the information. I will give them a look. We are trying Spy-Point cameras this year and would like to put solar cameras on them. The Spy-points are working great so far. Had Bushnell last year and they did not work out to well. Thanks again for the links
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I put solar panels on our motor home when we were going to Arizona for the winters. During December-February I would angle them at 45 degrees. Other times I just left them alone but there was a slant to the roof so they were not level.

You will definitely get the most when the sun is high rather than at a lower angle, so I'd figure without turning them you will get the best power between 11:00 and 4:00 in the summer months.

Hope this helps.
Keep smiling!
Dennis