Going out for first time

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Vortex in SD

Going out for first time

Post by Vortex in SD »

Purchased a Vortex from Cabela's and I'm looking at shooting it for the first time this afternoon :D

This is my first posting to the forum, so I'm sorry if this question has been ask before.

What are somethings I should do as I take my first shot as well as not to do such as dry fire by accident -- what have you made a habit so I start it right.

It is not just practice that makes a person good it is having perfect practice that makes us better!!!

Thank you for your ideas and imput.
Thanks again to Boo for your help!! :)
Dean
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Welcome to the forum Vortex in SD.

I am unable to give you any technical advice. But we have tons of guys here that will set you straight on the do's and don't s. Follow what they say, they have all been right where you are right now.

And a word of advice to brand new member. Watch out for that awshucks guy here on the forum.

Unless you like shooting ATV's. Then, he is your man!
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome. always double check that you have an arrow loaded when first starting out.
Maritimer

Post by Maritimer »

Welcome to the forum.
[img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Maritimer/Junk/doggy2.gif[/img]
We did not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Welcome
Develop a routine: Cock the bow. ACTVATE THE SAFETY, insert arrow,etc. Do it exactly the same way each time you shoot, it will become habit.

Don't reach inside thestring of a cocked bow other than to insert the arrow.

Point, disengage safety, aim, fire. Re engage safety immediately if you don't fire.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:D Welcome to the forum :D
Pretty much that is the best advice so far is to stick to the routine . :)
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

WELCOME make sure you keep fingers and thumb out of the way of the string. Belive me you will only make this mitake once. :oops:
Vortex in SD

Post by Vortex in SD »

Thanks for imput and the routine -- how often do you wax and oil between shoots. I have the string that comes from Excal.
Thanks
Dean
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome to the forum! :D
Grizz
Normous

Post by Normous »

Welcome, waxing may be done at the end of your shoot if the string needs it. I have never oiled anything on mine. Some spray a little bit of WD40 in the trigger mechanisn occasionaly.
I think most of the dry fires occur in the company of others and getting distracted. Perhaps, shooting on your own at first to develop good cocking, loading, inspecting and shooting techniques with assist in learning solid habits at first to prevent dryfires.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
dutchhunter

hello

Post by dutchhunter »

this is the way i do it . first put the rope cocker on the string pull it back and cock the bow then throw the rope over your neck so it hangs on each side then hit the saftey then pick up the bow .at this point you should have the rope around your neck remember thy cost about 30$ so donot set it down and loes it .your bow should be cocked and the safety sjould be on and you have the bow in your hands pointed down range .now put an arrow on the rail and slid it all the way back you should hear a click rase the bow to your shoulder relese the safty be sure your fingers are down below the rail and pull the trigger ,you can then grab your cocking rope becoues it is handy around your neck and hook it back on your string and start again .if you nalways do it this way you will never have a problem .pm if you have any Q DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Welcome, first time out take your time pay attention to everything you do and copy it each and everytime to perfection, remember take your time

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Boo

Post by Boo »

Don't shoot the bow with the rope cocker on it. LOL! Apparently it hurts! :shock:
Be acutely aware of everything around the bow, especially around the limbs.
Hey, I heard that your thumb or fingers really hurt when the string hits it! :shock:
I also heard that an arrow through the foot hurts too if you forget that there is an arrow still in the bow when the string is let down with the rope cocker! :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

WELCOME between Dutch and Boo your good to go :lol: :lol:
The best things in life are not things!!
cdup

Post by cdup »

Congrats on your purchase and welcome! :D
Respect everyone, but fear no one