Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Post by wabi »

Seems like Peter's request to clean up the avatars has sparked quite a discussion.
I had what I consider an unoffensive avatar attached to my posts, but after reading members protests at having to change or remove avatars some people thought were inappropriate I had a thought! :shock:

I removed my avatar, and would challenge other members to do the same.
Why do we need an avatar, anyway?
If I can't capture a reader's attention with the words I write then maybe I should just be reading.
If people are just visiting the forum to view novel pictures or animations, perhaps they should be browsing elsewhere.
Sure, the avatar is a "personalization" of your profile, but wouldn't you rather have people judge you on the wit & wisdom of your posts, than your ability to find a cute picture?????
wabi
Grizzly Adam

Re: avatars - a challenge!

Post by Grizzly Adam »

wabi wrote: I removed my avatar, and would challenge other members to do the same. Why do we need an avatar, anyway? ?

I've never had one! :lol: :wink:

I've always been avatar-less! :P
Grizz
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

wabi wrote:
Why do we need an avatar, anyway?
Speaking only for myself, I use avatars to to quickly determine who it is that I am listening to, each person here has a place in my reading that is rated in terms of sincerity, biasing, history of posting (topic wise), experience in any particular field and many, many other levels.
For example, Mike P avatar, if the topic is on antler growth my eyes will settle on Mikes post because over time I have learned that he has experience in that field, comes in handy when I am scanning for information more than heavy reading.
Maybe I am weird, but I like the avatars. Unfortunately I rely on them to identify some of you guys and gals.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
saxman

Post by saxman »

Mine's been gone a while also.
Good post wabi
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

saxman wrote:Mine's been gone a while also.
Good post wabi
Scott, your posts are identified just as quickly (or even more so) by the photo in your sig line. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
mikej

Post by mikej »

Pydpiper wrote:
saxman wrote:Mine's been gone a while also.
Good post wabi
Scott, your posts are identified just as quickly (or even more so) by the photo in your sig line. :D
that is how i mostly recognise them
saxman

Post by saxman »

Thats one of my favorite views right there.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

saxman wrote:Thats one of my favorite views right there.
Mine too! :D Only mine tends to be shaking a little more. :shock:
WMU 91
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

Everything is ducky with me! :D Even the name coincides!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

wabi wrote: wit & wisdom of your posts, than your ability to find a cute picture?????
I don't know wabi . . .I perfer people looking at my cute picture. :lol: :lol:

I'm with pydpiper . . .in a thread, I'll basically ignore the posts until I find the avatar(response) I'm looking for. It would probably be just as easy to recognize the name . . .it's just easier for my old eyes to see the picture.

It's funny . . .someone can change their avatar and it throws me off. I don't remember them! Remember when Boo switched to the duck . . .I thought it was a new forum member. I probably missed a few good posts. :?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i use them for quick reference also in posts...

besides, mines just to HOT to drop :D

but if we didnt have them, it wouldnt bother me any
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

as long as they are in good taste ,what difference does it make?
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

There are some fantastic avatars here on this forum. They instantly identify the poster without the need to glance at the actual copy. And many convey more then just identification; they convey a meaning associated with the owner.

Digger's fireman avatar was a case study in meaning association. When I look at catcher's and Fishn-Hunter's avatar, I get meaning, these guys speak big bucks. I am prejudice of course; I like any avatar with deer, and more to the point, any avatar with a big old buck.

I like woody's tiger. I like crazy's arrows. And every time I look at Ray and Tyler in Ray's avatar, it makes me smile. And wabi, when I looked at yours it said to me that "this man is in tune with a spirit found only in nature."

Remember a while back I tired to change my avatar. As it turned out, it was a mistake. I didn't know that, but you guys did. And you told me.

My avatar is pretty distinct. It pretty much sums me up at a glance as an antler nut case. And my very specific signature gives you a good idea of what I do around here. And I am pretty sure you would be hard pressed to find someone that has a problem with either.

I don't want to wear a uniform. I don't want to look just the same as everyone else. I want to be an individual even at first glance. And I want all of you to have an idea about me before you read the first word I have posted.

We drive different cars and trucks. We wear our hair differently. We certainly dress differently. And best of all, we all have different ideas regarding just about any subject you can come up with. I think this is what makes us who and what we are as a forum. I think of this as a great strength, not a weakness.

There is always a chance for an avatar or signature to go too far. The problem will always be deciding when that line has been crossed. Fortunately for us the owner of this house has to make that decision.

So please don't ask me to put on olive drab or a blue blazer. I have lived in that world.

And at the risk of drawing incorrect conclusions after recently posting a jpeg of the Village People, I would like to quote a show tune.

"I got to be meeeeeeeeee, I got to be meeeeeee.................."
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Mike P wrote:.... I want to be an individual even at first glance......
Well, Mike, you certainly are an individual, that's for sure! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And we love ya for it. Just keep right on being you!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Skarek

Post by Skarek »

I think Avatars are good. As already stated, it is a fast way to identify who has made the post. If people just think once before they add their avatar, there should be no problems. For example I can't see how wabi's polar bear would be offensive. I hope I'll see it back soon :)...

Avatars are nice, fun things that gives each poster something unique. Gives them a face in a way. Keep them small and keep them non offensive, but keep them coming.