Grizzly Adam

Mighty, Mighty Pleasin' ...

Post by Grizzly Adam »

... Pappy's corn squeezin's!

White Lightnin!

Not too far from here, as the crow flies:

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/41751752.html

See?

Unemployment is on the rise in East Carolina too.

Here's a 69 year old ... fresh out of work! :shock: :P :lol:
Grizz
mikej

Post by mikej »

i've always wondered if the stills look simialer to uncle jessie's from the dukes of hazard. it looks quite similar
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

mikej wrote:i've always wondered if the stills look simialer to uncle jessie's from the dukes of hazard. it looks quite similar
Actually, that doesn't appear to have been a very complicated, well-made, or well-kept set-up. Looks like a pretty shabby operation to me.

Don't ask me how I know.

It might prompt Mike P to share more private details from my sordid past. :lol: :wink:
Grizz
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

i have never seen one before the dynamite got to it, but looked like a small time deal to me. when i was a young spam the only people that would not let you quail hunt on their "place" had guienne fowl and made liquor. if we drove up in the yard and they had those fowl it was a waste of time to even ask, but otherwise permission was almost always granted to hunt. now days they use propane to "cook it off" and get caught , when neighbors see a gas truck making deliveries 3 times a week to the rental house across the street, instead of flying over the woods and seeing smoke.
thanks philip
dutchhunter

still

Post by dutchhunter »

i always was on the look out for an old time still would love to have one .the old ones we see on tv will all th copper pipe and such thy are pretty cool looking DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
frisky

Post by frisky »

It did not look "clean" to me. I wonder how much lead MAY be in these stills. That said, leadless solder bas been around for some time.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

We ride ATV's down around Middlesboro, Kentucky. It is mountainous and loaded with coal mines. The area has Elk and that is extra cool. And at one time it had tons of stills. You can still see old still sites when you're riding some of the very remote trails.

Now there are no more stills. There is something much more dangerous. There are fields of marijuana that stagger the imagination. This is now the land of coal and pot. These people have no other means to survive. And if you ever ride the boonies on an ATV in that area, you best have a local boy along with you.

I am the first rider, then Shrader, then Becker and finally Doc.

munch

Post by munch »

grizz when i worked in goldsbouro nc i bought some from an old fellow in 2 quart mason jars and when he dropped it off i asked what i should mix it with.he said a maroboro. i said is it good stuff and he told me to drink a half class and then he reached out and tapped me on the back of my shoulder and said when i finished the glass i would feel someone tap me on the back just like that. he then said when you turn around boy it'll be the floor. was a neat old guy he ran a dance club on weekends and i think he said you could bring your own shine cause he had no liecence
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Thought I'd share the link below just for interest's sake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPuWX7d7 ... re=related

This old boy really reminded me of so many men I grew up around. His actions and mannerisms sound so familiar to me.

Mind you, I'm not approving the practice ... but I'm not so far removed from such things myself.

My maternal great-grandad was a well-known bootlegger where I grew up.

I'm not saying that because I'm proud of it ... I'm neither proud nor ashamed. It's just a fact.
Grizz
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

some of the moonshiners down here used to use radiators which were full of lead solder. some just filled copper tubing with fine sand and wrapped and tapped it around a stump and then let the sand out. (sand kept the tubing from crimping or collapsing), but i don't think the "shinners" really cared about the lead content in their "corn squeezins' . many produced it on contract anyway, and did not drink much if any... the ones that made their own for their own consumption rarely got caught, because many that did get caught , got caught selling it to the wrong person. to avoid that some would tell a customer that they didn't know reallygood that they didnt have any but for x dollars they would tell them where a stump hole was close to the road that they could find some in... hence the nick name "stump hole"... least thats what the old timers used to tell anyway
thanks philip
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

So ... that's the real story behind that fancy new "stand" your buddy built on your farm! :!: :shock:

Grizz
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Grizz
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Grizz,

That wouldn't be a problem, because I would have to be wasted to lock lips with any of those crows :lol: . Half of them look like dudes in dresses :shock: .
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Jeeze, no wonder the men wanted to make booze!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string