Insert at the back on the arrow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

killshot

Insert at the back on the arrow

Post by killshot »

I was out shooting my Vortex today and when I was pulling the arrow out of the target with an arrow puller the rear insert pulled out. Are these supposed to be glued in? If so what kind of glue should I use? They are carbon arrows that came with my bow.

Thanks
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

i use gorilla glue on both the front and rear inserts. I have had the front one shoot out after the bolt weny thru the bag 80% of the way. just dont plan on taking the inserts out again. lol. use some silicone spray on the bolt to make it easier to pull out of the target.
Grizzly Adam

Re: Insert at the back on the arrow

Post by Grizzly Adam »

killshot wrote:I was out shooting my Vortex today and when I was pulling the arrow out of the target with an arrow puller the rear insert pulled out.
The best solution to this inevitable situation (when using that type of puller) is to get a set of plier-type pullers from Dan Miller. They work marvelously well. They do not strain the shaft, they do not weaken or pull the inserts.

Much, much better ... in my opinion. Many others think so too.

I'd give Dan a call. Just search for his information. :D
Grizz
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

yes they are suppose to be glued in. i use goat tuff glue, the blue topped gorilla glue is very good also
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bj

Re: Insert at the back on the arrow

Post by bj »

Grizzly Adam wrote:
killshot wrote:I was out shooting my Vortex today and when I was pulling the arrow out of the target with an arrow puller the rear insert pulled out.
The best solution to this inevitable situation (when using that type of puller) is to get a set of plier-type pullers from Dan Miller. They work marvelously well. They do not strain the shaft, they do not weaken or pull the inserts.

Much, much better ... in my opinion. Many others think so too.

I'd give Dan a call. Just search for his information. :D
ditto...take the screw in puller and throw it as far as you can...go ahead and pick it up and throw it one more time :shock: :shock: ...now get yourself one like mentioned above...the screw in type can stress as grizz says, and can actually be dangerous if you happen to be pulling a broadhead out of the target...with Dan's puller you can grab the shaft right at the bag, put less stress on it (i've seen carbon bolts bend on numerous occasions), and control the point end as you retrieve it...

Wayne.....
wabi

Post by wabi »

Another vote for Dan Miller's arrow puller - it works great!!!!!!!
As for the gorilla glue, I've never tried it for inserts, but I keep some "quick set" glue on hand for my fly tying. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRp7I1Ll5Rs
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Gorilla glue is tough but you better not want to remove those inserts or nocks, it won't melt. Some 'crazy glues' like Goat Tuff hold well but can be softened with heat. Same with hot melt glue meant for such purpose.
I too stopped using a nock-fastened puller. Use a rubber arrow gripper and lube my arrows using Jig A Loo, a Teflon spray that dries quickly.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

yes Dan Miller pulling arrow pliers are the cats meow! i have a set after trying out the one's awshucks had.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
killshot

Post by killshot »

Thanks guys I guess it's a set of Dan's pliers for me.
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS