Broadhead Grouping ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Chris Dillard

Broadhead Grouping ?

Post by Chris Dillard »

I have been using the NAP 100 grn. Thunderhead Broadheads with Gold Tip LASER-2 arrows through my Exomax with the Fastflite string. I have been very pleased with the on game performance. My target grouping has been good. Does the use of a 150 grn. broadhead really improve grouping that much? Whats your opinion or experiance?

Thanks, Chris
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The extra 50 gr. will take some recoil out of the equation and therefore make the bow a little easier to shoot. Thus the term, "more forgiving". Everything else being equal, then you should be able to get slightly better groups. It's not a cure all.

I find that my follow through and focus needs to be better when I'm shooting my faster arrows. There is a little more vibration during the shot on the faster set-ups. However, I like the speed when target practicing. It's just fun.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Another thing the extra forward weight will help with is wind, your groups will improve slightly when a slight wind is present.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Pydpiper wrote:Another thing the extra forward weight will help with is wind, your groups will improve slightly when a slight wind is present.
Good point, David!

Wind is an ever-present reality here in the Coastal Plain of NC. That's only one of the reasons I prefer heavy arrows, but it's an important one around here! 8)
Grizz
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

bottom line is, you pick what bhead suits you best. You have to find the happy middle between weight, flight, and speed that you want :D

I like something in the middle, like a 400grain bolt(with head) which is a perfect combo of speed, weight, and flight out to 40 yards. You can go heavier but you loose some speed. However, the bow is a tad quieter, but again its like trying to muffle a shotgun. You can muffle all you want, but its still gonna be loud :P :D
Chris Dillard

Post by Chris Dillard »

Hey guys I appreciate the imput. I think I am going to a 150 grainer this year. Maybe a heavy expandable, If there is such a thing.

Thanks, Chris
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Spitfire Magnums would be an option.

I can't think of others off the top of my head, but, I'm sure there are more.

Good luck!

Edit . . .

I thought the Spitfire Magnums were 150 gr . . .they are 170gr . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Archery SpitFire Magnum 170 Grain Crossbow Broadhead, 3 Pk.

All-Steel construction, the new SpitFire Magnum is specially designed and built tough for today's faster, high-performance crossbows. Heavier weights give them better penetration.

.030" Thick.
1 1/2" Cutting Diameter.
Last edited by sumner4991 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
michiganman

inserts

Post by michiganman »

what inserts do you have,could you up the weight there and choose the head you like best.i did that with my easton bolts so i could shoot a 100 grain head and still have the weight.im at 455grains with the head.nice set up,and 1.5" mechanicle head.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
peter p

Re: inserts

Post by peter p »

michiganman wrote:what inserts do you have,could you up the weight there and choose the head you like best.i did that with my easton bolts so i could shoot a 100 grain head and still have the weight.im at 455grains with the head.nice set up,and 1.5" mechanicle head.
That's right,
what front insert do you have in your arrows?
I believe excal made those 150 grain broad heads to go with their factory arrows with no brass insert so you would have more foc.
michiganman

heads

Post by michiganman »

your right,thats why i replaced the inserts ,and went to brass to shoot 100 grain heads and more front weight. i am happy shooting 302-304 fps with 455 grains ,with my 200lb exocet

i normally hunted with 385grain arrows at 255fps with my compound,so going to the xbow really puts out a power package
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
mikej

Post by mikej »

do they make a 150 grain mechanical ? i can't say i have ever seen one
michiganman

rocket

Post by michiganman »

the largest you would want to shoot in a crossbow from rocket is 125grains 2" stricknine head.gold tip makes a weighted screw in end that adds 25grains to your end.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Chris Dillard

Post by Chris Dillard »

I've been shooting the factory arrows, no brass inserts. I have thought about it though.
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax