SX3 Debut

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

ecoaster wrote: but your idea would work better. Kind of like a tip cleaner for a cutting torch.
Can't claim it is mine :oops: , just a good one I picked up in almost 40 years of trapshooting.

It is kind of like using a tip cleaner on a torch. The important thing is to get something the right size and no abraisive. I say the right size because the gas orifice size on 12g 1100's varies with different barrel types i.e. skeet barrels are .086", the old 3" mag.'s are .0730" (one orice on them, not two). So it is hard to say what the SX3 is.
10Ring
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Just an update........

Went back to the range this afternoon and sure enough, the loads they gave me last time were a 2 3/4 Dram Eq. I'm quite certain this was the problem with the shells not ejecting. I was talking to another guy there today who was shooting a break action trap gun and he had the Winchester Super Targets also. He had a few jam in his chamber. The shells expanded enough that they would not eject, even out of a break action :shock: .

Anyway, me and my shooting partner put a huge dent in a case of Federal Top Gun 7.5 loads ( 3 Dram Eq.) and they shot beautifully out of both our guns. He was shooting a Rem 870. Great gun. I got my best round with it, 22/25.

Hopefully it will be clear sailing from here on in with the SX3.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
mikej

Post by mikej »

what is Dram Eq
TPM

Post by TPM »

Drams refers to the way they used to measure blackpowder charges way back. When smokeless powder came along "Drams Equiv" was used so as not to confuse those who only thought in blackpowder terms. It basically means the smokeless powder will create the same pressure as the given blackpowder charge. 110+ years later the industry still uses this archaic term. Some things die hard.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
mikej

Post by mikej »

thanks tpm
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

Dram equiv. is tied to velocity for a given guage and shot load.

In a 12g 1 1/8 oz. target load;

2 3/4 Drams = 1150 ft/sec

3 Drams = 1200 ft/sec

I don't hear the term as much as when I started shooting trap 40 years ago, and black powder was a distant, dim memory even back then. Most shooter I know talk in terms of velocity now, not Drams but you still see the term on a lot of shell boxes.
10Ring