SX3 Debut

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ecoaster

SX3 Debut

Post by ecoaster »

Took the new Winchester SX3 out today for some trap shooting. The first round I was about 15/25, second round 20/25, using Federal #6 target loads. The third round I switched up to Winchester Super Target Loads #7 1/2. Every one but three of them failed to eject! :x I threw the Winchester box out and can't remember the DRAM EQUIV., but I think it was less than 3. The Federals were 3 and cycled flawlessly.

On the upside, I could shoot this gun all day long. The recoil supression features are awesome. Going out again on Saturday to introduce a friend to shooting. will hopefully have some more positive results then.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Congrats on your new gun.
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I got one yesterday as an early birthday gift. My birthday and opening day of turkey season fall on April 11th this year but my wife knew that I would need some time to pattern the gun so she gave it to me early. After finding the right shims for proper sight alignment I found that the gun shouldered perfectly and is fairly light weight. I can't wait to shoot it :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
mikej

Post by mikej »

congrats on the new guns guys . now we need pictures
peter p

Post by peter p »

ecoaster,
is your gun 3 or 3 1/2 inch?
Grizzly Adam

Re: SX3 Debut

Post by Grizzly Adam »

ecoaster wrote: The recoil supression features are awesome.
Must be nice! :D

To this day, I've never owned a semi-auto shotgun. :(

I'd sure like to try one sometime, though, because my old Winchester 1300 pump pounds the living daylights out of me in any sort of long shooting session. Big guys suffer more with recoil anyway ... more mass to resist the push, so it's like a punch!

Maybe I'll get one soon! At least I'd have the recoil punishment as an excuse! :lol:
Grizz
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Grizz wrote :
Big guys suffer more with recoil anyway ... more mass to resist the push, so it's like a punch!

Grizz I think for that very reason you deserve a new semi . :D Tell the little lady it is better for your health . :lol:
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

It is the 3" model. Ray you will love it. I was REALLY surprised at the lack of kick. I also have a 1300 and 75 shots out of that is a bit punishing.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Mine is a 3.5" Magnum. It's been raining here so I haven't shot it yet. Man, I can't wait to break out the skeet thrower :D .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
peter p

Post by peter p »

ecoaster wrote:It is the 3" model. Ray you will love it. I was REALLY surprised at the lack of kick. I also have a 1300 and 75 shots out of that is a bit punishing.
3 inch gun should eject those Winchester light loads with no problem.
Did you give the gun a good cleaning before using it?
There are 2 little holes in the barrel (gas ports) that need to be cleaned.
Take a piece of wire or something stiff that fits in the hole and run it through the holes with some gun cleaning solvent. There may be some grease in there preventing the gas from getting through.
Also the gas piston has to be cleaned good too. All that factory grease they coat the gun with has to be removed.
It may also be that the gun needs to be broken in.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Peter P, after removing the grease with gun scrubber what kind of oil would you recommend putting back on it to prevent rusting?
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Peter,

Thanks for the info. I noticed when I cleaned the gun after shooting that there was some stuff in the barrel that was hard to get out with a patch and rod. I had to make a rope pull and pull a rag through the barrel to get it all. It may have been burned grease residue. There was gun powder/gas residue in the forestock vent, but I did not look closely at the barrel. I will when I get home to make sure the holes are clear.

Thanks again for the info.

Steve
10Ring

Re: SX3 Debut

Post by 10Ring »

ecoaster wrote: The third round I switched up to Winchester Super Target Loads #7 1/2. Every one but three of them failed to eject! :
This may not be the cause of your problem but I have observed at our club, where I am trap chairman and shoot every weekend, that if a gun is going to have ejection problems, Super Targets are often involved.

These shells are made to sell at a lower price. I suspect the metal heads on them expand upon firing, like on any shell, but the metal used is not elastic enough to contract and allow easy extraction.

I suspect the Federals were not target loads if they contained #6 shot since target loads contain shot no larger than 7 1/2. Also, something to be aware of, some clubs do not allow shot sizes over 7 1/2, just something to be aware of.
Last edited by 10Ring on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
10Ring
Big John

b

Post by Big John »

Very good post 10ring. Nice to hear from you. :)
I was telling him the same thing at lunch today. :wink:
I, as well as many others have had the same issues with the winchester target loads. No one in the shooting circles I frequent will use them anymore, "Period"!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
TPM

Post by TPM »

I agree with 10ring, semi's and cheap loads are a bad combination. Your typical cheap target loads are best left for doubles and pumps.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger