Cougar sighting in Drumbo

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Cougar sighting in Drumbo

Post by Pydpiper »

Got a call this morning, there were 2 sightings of a cougar in Drumbo over the weekend.
I know where I am going to be this afternoon!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Hey Dave,

Does that include the sighting by Gobles?

The paper says it was on Twp. Rd. 4 between Cty. Rd. 22 & Gobles Rd.

Could get down into Benwall Swamp & feed for a long time on the deer in there :shock:

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Haven't heard of that sighting Kirk, that would mean it's next stop is my house. :D I am 3 minutes past Gobles.
I find this oddly exciting.
The route it would travel crosses 3 of my hunting properties, the third along the Nith is where I seen that cat last year.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
WAB

Post by WAB »

hey Dave
I seen the cougar, not bad looking, but I had my wife with me in the car so I thought best not to stop and pick her up :lol:
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

I spend tons of time in the bush , but have never seen a track or sign let alone an actual animal ... ( from Cambridge thru to Mountforest ... Drumbo and Woodstock area )

Love to get a picture of one ... even on a trail camera .
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
dutchhunter

cats

Post by dutchhunter »

myself and are hunting party all family uncles and ants and granddad all seen a large cat a few years ago close to delhi 100% .i had it at 20 yards well on standhunting deer it was seen by 5 of us two of the pushersx and three blockers .i almost shot it for a deer when it leaped out ofthe golden rod in front of me .boy dd i look twice DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I was driving my truck on a closed road by the river, it came off the riverbank hit the ground once in the middle of the road in front of me and was gone, that too was about 20 yards.
I looked high and low for any indication of it being there, None, not a footprint nor a hair.
WMU 91
Boo string
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

They are beautiful animals. A guy here at work had one attack his dog this winter. Dog lived but got beat up pretty bad. The neighbor winged it that night to get it to let the dog go. They tried to find it that night but couldn't track it. He got up the next morning to track it down and it was waiting in his carport he shot it with a shotgun. Will track down the photo's tonight and post em.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

WAB wrote:hey Dave
I seen the cougar, not bad looking, but I had my wife with me in the car so I thought best not to stop and pick her up :lol:
:lol:
WMU 91
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

They are steadily getting more numerous. Have been sightings here (MN) and Wisconsin. Several people have been attacked out west, at least one killed. Same with black bear. I no longer take my safety for granted when scouting for turkey or deer; always have a sidearm with.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I would love to see one also. If you are unfortunate enough to be it's targeted meal ticket, then you would probably not see it coming. They usually attack from overhead and behind you. I always have a sturdy knife in my hand while walking in and out of the woods during low light hours.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
dutchhunter

becarefull

Post by dutchhunter »

caring a knive well walking could be a hazard if you happen to slip or fall .a bright light will do more tokeep a cat away frm you same as a lot of noise DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

"There have been approximately 500 sightings reported since 2002 to MNR and the Ontario Puma Foundation.

A number of cameras were set up in the Manilla area and down towards Bethany, as well as hair traps, but so far no cougar hairs or photographs.

"Just because it was in Manilla today, it may not be back for two or three months because it is travelling all the time. They are travelling looking for prey,"

Deer are the mainstay of a cougar's diet, comprising 80 to 90 per cent of the cat's total food intake.

While data has been hard to come by, the growing amount of tangible proof of cougars in Ontario is on the rise.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Just got off the phone with a friend with good knowledge on this subject..

Last year I had permission from the MNR to dispatch this animal on sight, over the winter there were some changes to the endangered species laws that prevent anyone from dispatching it now without severe penalty. Problem is that the cat has done no damage, at least none that anyone is aware of at this point.
Our local OPP have been in contact with the MNR with the same questions, and unless the cat is about to inflict harm they too have their hands tied.
The MNR is certain this cat is domestic, either an escaped pet or one that has been released for other reasons, than naturalized.
Here in my village it is a pretty hot topic, lots of buzz from how the species is invading S/W Ontario by the thousands, to the guys who still think they were released by the MNR to control the deer population (I always loved that story). I trust my source 100%, he has assisted me many times over the years with the ties between my company and the MNR, including a very unique hunting licence.
The last sighting came in to the MNR, the guy who made the call was looking at the cougar while he made the call, sunning it's self on a hillside.
I hope when this animal does cross the line it is with livestock instead of a kid.
I will find out in the next few days if they can make any amendments to the endangered species laws. It is only a matter of time until this thing figures out cows are easier to catch than deer.
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Pydpiper wrote: The MNR is certain this cat is domestic, either an escaped pet or one that has been released for other reasons, than naturalized.
I'll bet that's the case 9 times out of 10 when someone's certain they've seen a cougar in an area out of their normal range.

From what I hear, you don't see the truly wild ones all that often!

Hope this cat is caught and properly handled. :D
Grizz