Bolt Retaining Spring on top of rail very tight.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

aerostarp

Bolt Retaining Spring on top of rail very tight.

Post by aerostarp »

Hi:

Went to change out my string today and the Crankaroo pulled the plastic string guard on my string changer over the bolt retaining spring on top of the rail (do not know the proper term for it). Seems like now the up-curved tip of the spring sits firmly flush within the slot in the rail when no bolt is in place. :(

I also seem to remember being able to slide a bolt into place pretty easily and now I cannot and have to raise the curved tip of the spring to insert the bolt. :shock:

Anyone see any problems with this? It shoots fine and accurate but did not chrony the bolt. Just wondering if the strong spring tension on the bolt will slow it down any. Should I attempt to bend it back up a little or just leave well enough alone?

Thanks, Wayne
saxman

Post by saxman »

If it doesn't slow it down I guess I would leave it.
I hope others with more knowldge will chime in.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Straightshooter

Post by Straightshooter »

I noticed mine was also tight to the rail. It shoots PERFECT right now so i'm going to leave it until after the turkey season. Then try to loosen it.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) Have seen this a couple of times . I would recommend if you can to take the scope mount off and gently bend it up . Or take the spring off and bend it .
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Doe Master wrote::) Have seen this a couple of times . I would recommend if you can to take the scope mount off and gently bend it up . Or take the spring off and bend it .
X2

If the string changer rides over the arrow retention spring it will bend it down to the rail. If you don't bend it back up it will hit the rail every time you shoot an arrow making a tinny sound and will eventually mar the surface of the rail.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
xbow kenny

Post by xbow kenny »

Take the scope off and slowly bend it back up, i have done this many times on excalibur bows.
I own P&R archery and sport. i sell excalibur crossbows and more. i also make custom strings and arrows. Relayer Y25 #559 Kenny custom string
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

or you can slide the same string changer string under the arrow retainer and gently us it to undo what it did in the first place, but not attached to the limbs of course. gently lift and release until you have achieved the desired effect. my 0.02 worth
thanks philip
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Common problem! I think we've all done it! :oops:

I had to take the scope off to get mine right again. 8)
Grizz
Boo

Post by Boo »

That retainer is not made as perfectly as it could be. The end should be curved up more like they used to be in the old days to it won't happen again. You could just take a pair of needle nose pliers and curve it up a bit more so that cocking cannot cause the same problem again. I would also put some self-sealing heat shrink on the arm. If after curling the retainer it still sits in the slot then just bend it up a very small amount at a time. The gap can vary a whole lot but most of mine leave a gap of about 1/8" or less between the top of the deck and the retainer.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

Boo......i like that idea of using the shrink wrap.. :D thanks for the idea

Don
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
Boo

Post by Boo »

fogducker wrote:Boo......i like that idea of using the shrink wrap.. :D thanks for the idea

Don
Make sure you use the double wall or seal sealing stuff. If you don't have any handy I have lots so drop by Don.
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

Boo wrote:
fogducker wrote:Boo......i like that idea of using the shrink wrap.. :D thanks for the idea

Don
Make sure you use the double wall or seal sealing stuff. If you don't have any handy I have lots so drop by Don.
Don.........im working on picking up another bow this weekend...i,ll wait till i get that one and then i,ll come over looking for my gifts of shrink wrap :D ..

Don
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
mikej

Post by mikej »

boo is that just normal electrical shrink wrap
Boo

Post by Boo »

mikej wrote:boo is that just normal electrical shrink wrap
Nope, automotive exterior application. The inside of the tubing is lined with a heat activated sealant.
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

Thanks for all the replies. As suggested, I will remove the scope and bend the arm up a little to get it off the rail about 1/8".

I had previously put sticky velcro over the tip (didn't think of the shrink wrap) and that really made the release much quieter. I put the "fuzzy" half of the velcro on the last 1/2" of the spring completely enveloping the tip and it worked great. I had often wondered if anyone else put anything on it to quiet it down.

Boo - where can you get this shrink wrap - at an automotive store?

Thanks again to all of you. Very reassuring responses. Guess we need to start a second "club" since it seems the dry-fire club has filled up pretty quickly. :oops: