Bolt Retaining Spring on top of rail very tight.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Post by Boo »

mikej wrote:boo is that just normal electrical shrink wrap
Nope, automotive exterior application. The inside of the tubing is lined with a heat activated sealant.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

Thanks for all the replies. As suggested, I will remove the scope and bend the arm up a little to get it off the rail about 1/8".

I had previously put sticky velcro over the tip (didn't think of the shrink wrap) and that really made the release much quieter. I put the "fuzzy" half of the velcro on the last 1/2" of the spring completely enveloping the tip and it worked great. I had often wondered if anyone else put anything on it to quiet it down.

Boo - where can you get this shrink wrap - at an automotive store?

Thanks again to all of you. Very reassuring responses. Guess we need to start a second "club" since it seems the dry-fire club has filled up pretty quickly. :oops:
Boo

Post by Boo »

It is an automotive application for outside of the car and probably weights three times what normal heat shrink weights. The weight really changes the twang.
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

On the first stringers with the White ends there was no clear plastic on the stringer rope, so I never had that problem, but rebending the hold down spring is no big deal, just want enough pressure to keep bolt in place when shooting.

:)
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you look at the old retainers they were curved up much more than they are now. Do yourself a favor and curl the tip up.
mikej

Post by mikej »

where can i get it boo? what is it called
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

I took the scope off (could not remove the mounting bracket) and had no luck bending it back into proper position. Tried bending it up from the middle of the spring (exposed half of spring forward) but could not get it to do what I needed.

I chronyed the bolt and it does not seem to have changed much so I just wrapped electrical tape over one of the foam ear plugs placed over the end and it is quieter and seems to protect the rail.

Guess I'll just have to leave it at that for now unless any other suggestions.

Wayne
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

That spring will not affect your speed, but it is a pretty important tool to keep you from dryfiring. Too loose and the arrow can slip away a bit, causing a full or partial dryfire. Too tight and it will slap down on to the rail making a disturbing noise.
It took me a long time to bend it just right so it would be secure as well as high enough to avoid that metal clash.

The noise of the spring making contact with the rail is far more pleasing than the sound of a dryfire.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

Pydpiper wrote:That spring will not affect your speed, but it is a pretty important tool to keep you from dryfiring. Too loose and the arrow can slip away a bit, causing a full or partial dryfire. Too tight and it will slap down on to the rail making a disturbing noise.
It took me a long time to bend it just right so it would be secure as well as high enough to avoid that metal clash.

The noise of the spring making contact with the rail is far more pleasing than the sound of a dryfire.
Did some one say dry-fire??
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Boo wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:That spring will not affect your speed, but it is a pretty important tool to keep you from dryfiring. Too loose and the arrow can slip away a bit, causing a full or partial dryfire. Too tight and it will slap down on to the rail making a disturbing noise.

Did some one say dry-fire??
Well, not today, but it's still early.. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

Man - ain't that the truth. I'm a distinguished member of that club too.

The foam ear-plug and electrical tape really muffles the noise and seems to protect the rail so I am not going to worry about it based on everyone's replies above.

Wayne