weeds/food plots

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

warningshot

weeds/food plots

Post by warningshot »

just wondering what guys use to get rid of weeds ...i have 1 to 2 acres to clear with all kinds of different weeds from broad leaf to beaver type grasses ....what are the options ...cost is a factor but the old elbow grease isn't a factor ...there is a small creek nearby and a local no herbacide law present so chemicals aren't a great option ....i have found a few articles online of homemade recipes ...does anyone have a recipe that works ...will try to post a pic of the area ....
Boo

Post by Boo »

Roundup. It is inert when it hits the earth.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
cdup

Re: weeds/food plots

Post by cdup »

deleted
Last edited by cdup on Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Respect everyone, but fear no one
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Boo gave the right advice.

I don't know the laws in your area, but there is no non-selective, systemic herbicide superior to Roundup (or it's clones) when it comes to "killing off" areas to be used later for some dedicated purpose. It's a broad-spectrum killer, and will handle most anything found in your yard. Some clover is fairly resistant to Roundup.

Actually, most any of the available glyphosate herbicides will do.

Avoid the weaker concentrates available in home-supply box stores.You'll want the stronger stuff that farmers use for an area that big.

I'd ask a local farmer or nurseryman/landscaper where the best place to get it in your area is.

Roundup is fairly safe to apply, compared to most herbicides.

The only NATURAL METHOD I know that even comes close to killing weeds as well as round up is tarping ... using a large opaque tarp to cover areas of your yard for a period of time, to kill the weeds and grasses by depriving them of sunlight.

This really works, but it's time-consuming. Black plastic will do, too, if it's fairly thick.

Neither Roundup (or any systemic herbicide), or a method like tarping, will kill non-emergent weeds and grasses. In other words, you can kill what's up and leafed out, but other weeds and grasses will follow, grown from seeds in the ground.

It takes several months (or more) and several sprayings to completely eradicate weeds from an area using a systemic herbicide. Till an area, and even more stuff will come up, usually.

Patience is key.

But believe me ... no amount of elbow grease will equal a good application of Roundup! :D
Grizz
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

There is not a lot of options available , goats or roundup . roundup at 1 - 1.5 litres per acre with 10 to 15 gallons of carrier water /acre would kill most all emerged vegetation ( this what I use for burn down in no till soybeans ). As Boo already stated once glyposhate touchs the soil it quits working . It is one of the most environmentally friendly herbicides available .

here is a link to publication 75 for herbicide use in Ontario :

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/cro ... tm#table42
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I agree with those above that glyphosate is the way to go if you are starting from scratch.

Different tactics are called for dependent upon what you plant after your crop is up.

We have large clover fields at the farm and there are several ways that we control the weeds both mechanical and chemical.

One of the best weed control methods for large clover fields should you go that route is mowing. We mow our large fields three times a year. It keeps the weeds down and the clover seems to like it.
Rich

Post by Rich »

If you spray roundup, how long must you wait before you can plant the clover.

Rich
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

as soon as you get through spraying... roundup works on the plant and is neutralized when it touches dirt , so it will not hamper seeds sprouting , nor will it keep weed seeds from sprouting that are in the ground.
thanks philip
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

You need to give the herbicide sufficient time to be taken up into the actively growing plant . 4 or 5 days is good a week would be better . It depends on the weather and how well the weeds are growing .
fletch

Post by fletch »

We use a product called Eco-Clear it is an envirmentally friendly and all natural herbicide, it does not work quite as well as Roundup but it is effective for quick burndown. It still does not recommend use within so many meters of a waterway as it has an extremely harsh effect on aquatic life. When used all you can smell is a vinegar citric acid smell. We have to use it for public access areas. Wildlife won't come near the vegetation after application the smell is too strong for them.
Exomax w/ Lumizone
custom Boo string w/silencers
GT II's w/r helical 4 deg offset
Slik Triks and Lumenoks
BUS314

naaa

Post by BUS314 »

I don't worry bout the weeds in the little meadow where my son hunts, I just fertilze it all. Some weeds the deer eat just as much as the grass and clover----especially the fertilized wild honeysuckle & other vines

Edit ; sorry misread the post---oh well
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

now i find there is a province wide ban on herbacides..
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

warningshot wrote:now i find there is a province wide ban on herbacides..
They haven't banned herbicide use by farmers, I'll guarantee. Where is your two acres situated? Could you lease it to a local farmer and get him to kill it and plant it in clover for you?

There's surely some legal way to skin this cat.
Last edited by Grizzly Adam on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Peach

Post by Peach »

We could ask Larry if we can buy some off of him....
2008 Equinox - STS - Boo String
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

The herbicide ban is for cosmetic uses. ( basically residential applications ) The government wants you to leave your lawn and driveway au natural .