Why not the Equinox???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cossack

Post by Cossack »

If you intend to shoot a LOT, have a look at it's younger brother the Vortex or even the little brother Ibex (all thumbholed stocks). The Equinox is a hell of a bow (I had one) but found shooting it a LOT wasn't that much fun at 225 draw weight . You already have a fast bow....the Equinox will get you an honest 330, Vortex 315 and Ibex around 300 with hunting weight arrows, mine are 405gr, not the 350 grns they are specked with. I traded mine & got both the Vortex and Phoenix (solid stock) couldn't be happier.

"When the serving goes,"--- it depends on how far you let it go. If hooks cut into the string, breaking one or more strands, err on the side of caution and change it. If you catch it well before then simple reserving will do.
BTW, another nice thing about recurves is that you can reserve without removing the string. Just take the bow off the riser and serve away.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Life is too short not to buy the bow you want so go and get the Equinox, you can always get the Vortex later! :D
Serving on the bow works quite well but if you check out my design of a cheap string stretching jig why go through the bother of removing the riser? Besides you'll get more stretch out of the string using a jig.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx ... 03&mpage=2
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

Boo, Right now I don't think... UH .... I KNOW I don't understand what is going on with making strings with that link you posted. I have NO clue. I would have to keep it simple and MAYBE just TRY to do servings ONLY and see if I can do that.

Hey after 19 years of archery I just got into arrow building and never thought of doing it before. Now I love it.

I think I will have to try to find a way to do servings that is easy. Now I am sure a lot of you guys are saying SERVINGS ARE EASY well I do things slowly as I am not very handy at a lot of things. Really I am not. But I am trainable :D a bit but have to take it slowly. So I will have to research or youtube and maybe there is a video on how to put servings on a bow string.

Boo you are also right in that life is way to short for me to NOT get what I want right now. I can always get another bow later that will be less in power like that IBEX for less ware and tear.

Brian
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
Boo

Post by Boo »

This link will show you how to make a jig to put a great amount of tension on the string the serve it.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx ... g&#2083657

This next link will show you how to reserve the string.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx ... g&#2005725

Brian, you can't have too many bows. I think if one doesn't mind spending the bucks then a low poundage bow for farting around and being an arrow junkie is quite complimentary to a higher poundage bow for hunting. Less poundage means more shooting and accessibility for other less muscular users. I think you need at least 3 bows! LOL!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
dutchhunter

bows

Post by dutchhunter »

i have a equinox and i had a vortex.the vortex is a great bow if you ant to do a lot of shooting .as a atter of fact it is awsome.you will be able to cock it by hand .i sold my vortex and went with the equinox just becoues i could .i find te hequinox is the best bow for hunting and the vortex for shooting .but realy you cannot go wrong with any xcal .the extra inch on the equinox is a tough pill to cock by hand DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

yes yes 3 CB's actually collect every model Excal. its the only way to travel! :lol: i have a vixen, a phoenix & a E'cet 200. vixen is my shoot til yer tongue hangs & hunting Bow. the other 2 are there for back-ups if i am lazy and don't want to change out a string the serving went bad on!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Cossack, how'd the surgery go?

Very Well, thanks ( PM sent)
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Boo wrote: Less poundage means more shooting and accessibility for other less muscular users. I think you need at least 3 bows! LOL!
It would be nice to have another bow around to introduce others into shooting.

I'd kind of like to have an Apex for shooting inside (in my shop). :D
Grizz
cabinfever

Post by cabinfever »

Welcome to the forum TallTines. I probably shoot as much as you do, I bought a used exocet in November. I shot it about 500 times with no wear showing on the serving.I have not been able to shoot it lately due to shoulder problems I might need to get the crank for it. I just sold my Mathews bow, the Dr. said I won't be able to shoot it anymore. I'm now considering a thumbhole crossbow as a backup to the exocet.

PS. I'm originally a Jersey boy.
exocet 200
grounponder
lumizone
mathews switchback
high country extreme
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I have an Exomax. Cocking it with a rope is no problem. Last year I took it on an archery shoot for the first time. Counting practice shots (2) and a few bonus targets I had to cock my Exomax about 50 times in a two hour span.

It was all fun for about 90 minutes. I could sure feel the burn on those last dozen cockings. If a LOT is 25 shots in one outing, then I'm fine with my Exomax. If you want to shoot for hours, something a little lighter could be a lot more pleasant.

DuckHunt
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

First of all thanks for the replys guys.

CabinFever, First of all CONGRATS for getting out of NJ. A lot of us are trying. and boy what a nice spot to go to OH. Land of giant bucks SWEET.

Duckhunt, I am still 39 and reasonably strong so I hope it wont be terrible to shoot it a bunch but if it is I will get a nice light weight bow like Ibex or something for shoot forever. :lol:

I think BOO was right 3 crossbow atleast. I also would like to get a 10pt crossbow too so who knows. I don't think my wife will be happy with me :roll:

My wife was telling my neighbor that I have two VERY expensive hobbies hunting(guns included) and saltwater fishing Hobie outback kayak fishfinder and all my equipment lots of rods and reels ETC...

now all these bows. :lol:

Brian
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time