Why not the Equinox???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Talltines

Why not the Equinox???

Post by Talltines »

First of all just want to say hi. I see some old names here and a ton of new one so just want to say Hey to everyone.

I am looking for another bow to compliment on StrykeForce (which I LOVE) I want a bow that ( I ) can do string changes when I need to. SO simplicity is paramount.

After looking over the new 2009 Excalibur lineup I am falling in love with the Equinox in that FULL camo version is just sweet. Now is this the kind of bow that I can shoot a TON. I Shoot A LOT. I usually shoot about or minimum 200 shots a month. IF not more. WIll this bow handle that kind of shooting. Now I know its a 225 LB bow but I am 39 year old guy so I don't think cocking the bow should be a bid deal with the rope cocker. OR atleast I hope it wont be. I just want to use this bow for lots of fun shooting and a back up bow to my strykeForce or take it out instead of the SF on occasion.

So give me the good bad or whatever guys. Thanks

Brian
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

its great CB, can you reserve strings ? it puts alot of pressure on the string where it contacts holding device. should avg. 150 shots per serving.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome to the forum. you can't go wrong with any excal, fast accurate reliable and backed by the best company on the planet
Grizzly Adam

Re: Why not the Equinox???

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Talltines wrote: So give me the good bad or whatever guys.
Welcome to the forum, Brian ... or welcome back! Whichever! :D

You are good to go no matter which model Excal you pick. They all share the same quality construction.

You'll hear about as many ideas on which model is best as there are members of the forum.

I prefer a heavier bow to a light one for hunting, because I can shoot a heavy arrow at very good speeds ... the best of both worlds.

Strings and particularly serving do have a shorter life span when you use the heavier bows.

Cocking them might be a problem for some, but it isn't for others. I shoot an Exomax, and I find it easy to cock repeatedly. It just depends on who is doing the shooting. I'd encourage you to try before you buy.

Have fun in the process! Good luck, and good shooting and hunting. :D
Grizz
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I owned the equinox for a while, before that an exomax. I could shoot it often without hurting myself. I am 33. Get a good string with good serving (boo's strings)and you will be a happy camper!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

Thanks Guys for that fast reply

Grizz, I also shoot heavy arrows. I will be shooting 500+ grain arrows.

WOW I hope the servings will last more than 150 shots as that can be a week of shooting.

Now hear is a ... Well.... one of those questions I feel stupid for asking but I have to... If the servings last 150 or so shots does that mean I have to replace the WHOLE string or would I just put on new servings???

Reason I have never done servings before but I can learn I guess as I think that would save me some time or money. I just started making up my own arrows and I am having a BLAST. I have been into archery hunting Vertical bows for 18 or so years and now I am falling in love with this Crossbow. I just sold my Hoyt Trykon for my StykeForce and have NO regrets. So I can say that I have been bitten by the crossbow bug big time.

So If I would only have to do the servings over and the string would be still good then how long would the string hold up with what kind of shot number? I can learn how to do servings I would just need to see how and what kind of material I would need to buy thats all.

Thanks

Brian
New Matrix 405

Talltines

Post by Talltines »

one shot scott. Thanks I have read on here about BOO strings and saw pictures and they seem very nice. I just want to know how many shots will I get with this bow before the string has to be replaced? Not just for replacing the servings as I can learn how to do that, but how long will a top of the line BOO string last??

I was figureing on buying about 5 or 6 complete sets of BOO strings with wiskers served in. I just want to be able to shoot the Crap out of my bows. I LOVE Archery that much. Right now my StrykeForce is getting restrung at my pro shop and I am in agony as I have not shot my bow for 3 days and Its killing me. Hence the reason for another bow and I want to be able to put my own strings on. Reason I am going with Excalibur.

Really the shot count doesn't matter because I LOVE the EQUINOX and that is the ONE I WILL BE GETTING But just want to know what shot count will I be able to get?

Brian
Last edited by Talltines on Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Matrix 405

cdup

Post by cdup »

Welcome to the forum, if you like shooting that much , then I would think you will be hooked on this damn forum like many of us are. :lol: Good luck with your choice of excal you choose, you can't go wrong! :D
Respect everyone, but fear no one
mikej

Post by mikej »

if you plan on shooting it so much you might want to look at a lighter bow phoenix/ ibex or exocet / vortex that would be a little easier on the servings
Boo

Post by Boo »

Looks like the forum has another crazy bugger! You'll fit in just fine! LOL!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

Welcome to the forums.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

depends on the string material how long it will last and over time they will break down and need replacing. i have a vixen that had many years on its dacron string before the strands started breaking. learn to reserve. i am a fan of shooting logs out of my CB's, except during 3-D's.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
dutchhunter

equinox

Post by dutchhunter »

well i have ha my full amo equinoxfor about two months now and have shot well oer 10 sots and i am nt seing much wear at all i d love his bow .andit is now problem to cock with the rope .it is a littel tougher to cock by hand then myxocet 200 DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

Thanks for the welcome guys. I have been trying to talk myself into a lighter bow like the vortex but I want that full camo Equinox. I love it. Oh I wish I could try one out but no one around my area has any so I am SOL but hear too many good things about Excalibur to even worry about it.

Like I said I will learn how to make or do servings to save some money from taking it to a pro shop. I want to be able to do this stuff myself and be totally reliant upon myself for all the work that needs to be done.

My question here guys... WHEN THE SERVING GOES DOES THAT MEAN THE STRING IS BAD OR JUST THE SERVING???????? SO I would just have to reserve that string again and I would be good to go RIGHT?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Brian
New Matrix 405

Cossack

Post by Cossack »

If you intend to shoot a LOT, have a look at it's younger brother the Vortex or even the little brother Ibex (all thumbholed stocks). The Equinox is a hell of a bow (I had one) but found shooting it a LOT wasn't that much fun at 225 draw weight . You already have a fast bow....the Equinox will get you an honest 330, Vortex 315 and Ibex around 300 with hunting weight arrows, mine are 405gr, not the 350 grns they are specked with. I traded mine & got both the Vortex and Phoenix (solid stock) couldn't be happier.

"When the serving goes,"--- it depends on how far you let it go. If hooks cut into the string, breaking one or more strands, err on the side of caution and change it. If you catch it well before then simple reserving will do.
BTW, another nice thing about recurves is that you can reserve without removing the string. Just take the bow off the riser and serve away.