Rope cocker question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Caribou Creek

Rope cocker question

Post by Caribou Creek »

Do you guys find that when using the rope cocker you can still cock your crossbow a little off center if you don't pull the string back dead center.

I had a couple shots today that went right 3-5 inches at 40 yards.

The only thing I can see I did wrong was to pull the rope cocker a little to the right when I pulled the string back.

I did pick up some 145 grain Muzzy 4 blade broadheads today, they shoot exactly to the same point of impact as the 145 grain field tips. :D
cdup

Post by cdup »

Shoot your arrows and which ever one is not grouping with the others, shoot it a few times to see if it's just the arrow. I have had two or three out of a dozen fly diff. once. Could be just the arrow.Some members also recommend putting a mark(I used liquid paper once)on the string on both sides by the rail in the uncock position. So when you do cock it, you can make sure the string is still on center. I learn to just let my knuckles slide along the rail on both sides when cocking my bow with the cocking rope(works for me). Good luck! :D
Respect everyone, but fear no one
Caribou Creek

Post by Caribou Creek »

After the couple off center shots I'm trying to make a real effort to keep my pull up on the rope straight, I think I'll mark the string tomorrow and see if I can pull it off center by cocking it to the right.

Fred
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It's possible, but, unlikely. If the wheels are sticking on your cocking rope, then it can happen.

It could be a ton of things at 40 yards . . .I would start with checking the scope . . .all the screws . . .then the arrows . . . . . . .. . it really could be a lot of things like a slight pull on the trigger as you shot. The least likely is the cocking rope. Just my opinion.

I did find it funny that you think those broadheads were hitting exactly like your field tips and your field tips were off 3-5 inches at times. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Sumner has a valid point ,mark your arrows and check to see if you have an arrow that is not flying the straight and narrow .
The marking the string will also confirm if the cocking is straight .If the cocking is off then you can polish the rope groove at the back and that will also alleviate any binding .I have done that to my bows but it does take the camo off of that area . Some people don`t like to loose any camo no matter where it is . :shock: :lol:
Some broadheads don`t fly the same as fieldtips . Sumner did a test or compiled results about the different BH`s .
If all else fails put a Boo string on , that sometimes is the wonder cure . :roll: :lol:
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Not if you have a good cocker, like the Excals' the roller bearings will center the string even if the handles are pulled differentially.
Tell us more about what/how you're shooting. Broadheads? Size of vanes? Was it windy? What is the FOC of your arrows?
Caribou Creek

Post by Caribou Creek »

Folks thanks for all the info.

Sumner, the couple flyers I had were just that a "couple" out of well over a hundred shots so far,

I have marked my 6 bolts and will pay attention to any one that isn't consistant.

Thanks again for all the info this project has been alot of fun so far, I sure hope I get drawn for that Wyoming deer this year!!

Have a great weekend

Fred
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

All good advice! :D
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Do your testing with the same lone arrow. That will take a lot of the variables out of the equation. A couple of shots out of a hundred . . .that's not bad at 40 yards. That's bragging, not something I could complain about. :wink: :D
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
HW

Post by HW »

I have to believe it could be the arrows or some other problem. As some of you have seen, I cock my bow using the cocking aid but having only one hand to cock it with, I am only pulling the rope from one side. I have found that this has had no affect on accuracy.

To add to what Doe master said about polishing the groove, spraying some jig-a-loo on your cocking rope will help the rope glide over the rope groove. (This was a trick I picked up from Boo, isn't he so smart)
Exocet 175
Boo String (Red&Black)
GT II's
2" Blazers
Slick Tricks
Dan Miller Mount
Wayne B

Post by Wayne B »

Soo....doo yoo now call it Boo-a loo? :lol: :lol:
Wayne B

Post by Wayne B »

Sorry, couldn't help myself.
BUS314

ha

Post by BUS314 »

lol----now that's funny, right there :lol:
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

so instead of starting another thread on this topic..
i,ll have to hijack this one for a bit..
if thats ok with you C C :wink: ..
the new to me vixen i picked up..no matter how i cock it by hand,its always off centered by about 1 1/2 inch..if i just pull the off centered side a little i can center it..
i cant use a cocker string..as the rope will rub on the safety,as there is no lip for the cocking string to be guided against..
any cures for this?
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
mikej

Post by mikej »

fogducker wrote:so instead of starting another thread on this topic..
i,ll have to hijack this one for a bit..
if thats ok with you C C :wink: ..
the new to me vixen i picked up..no matter how i cock it by hand,its always off centered by about 1 1/2 inch..if i just pull the off centered side a little i can center it..
i cant use a cocker string..as the rope will rub on the safety,as there is no lip for the cocking string to be guided against..
any cures for this?
yes there is :lol: take a chainsaw file and make the grove yourself. i had to do it with dads exocet it works great now