2009 SPRING TURKEY CONTEST

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BigBwanaD

2009 SPRING TURKEY CONTEST

Post by BigBwanaD »

The season is upon us and a few of us have decided to host a Spring Turkey Contest for 2009.

Entry requirements:

If you are a forum member and are interested in participating please email me your screen name and the color of your 2009 Turkey tag. This will serve as your registration and will be used to validate that the bird taken in your photo is this years (by color of tag). Emails for the contest can be sent to [email protected]. I will list the contestants as I receive them. If you want to donate a prize, please email me at the same address and I will list that prize in the contest rules.

This will be an individual contest (no teams) with two classes. Bows (horizontal and vertical) and guns (all firearms, modern or primitive).

After a successful hunt send the following to [email protected];

1. A picture of you, the bird, and your weapon of choice.

2. A picture of the longest beard (in case it has multiple beards and it must be attached to the bird) and tape measure showing the length. Show entire length of beard and tape measure, including the tip.

3. A picture of each spur and tape measure showing the length. Spurs must still be attached to the leg.

Make sure your tag is visible in one of these photos for validation.

Scoring:
Scores will be determined by spur length x 10 + beard length x 2. In the case of multiple beards only the longest should be submitted.

For instance:
Beard is 8.5" - 8.5 x 2 = 17 pts.
Spurs 1" & 1-1/8" - 2.125 x 10 = 21.25 pts.
17 + 21.25 = 38.25 pts. total

Only 1 bird may be entered per contestant. Some states only permit one bird so this equals the playing field.

In the event of a tie. All winners in that class will be placed in a hat and my three year old daughter, Isabelle will draw the winners.

Prizes: So far, We have the following prizes offered:
1 set Big John's Bolts" in Blazing Tigers Pattern (Courtesy of John)
$50.00 gift certificate from Bass Pro (Courtesy of fogducker)

Prizes will be shipped directly from the donator to the winner of that prize. Prizes are not guarantees and in the event the donator can not facilitate the prize then you walk away knowing that you still killed the biggest bird. Although Excalibur is kind enough to let us gather on their forum, they are in no way, shape or form responsible for this contest and all contestants understand that this is a compete at your own risk event.

Let’s remember that this is being done in the spirit of friendship and honesty. If we all conduct ourselves accordingly, it should turn out to be a whopping good time with annual bragging rights attached. Be safe and good luck to all!!!!
Last edited by BigBwanaD on Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BigBwanaD

Post by BigBwanaD »

Keep checking back to this post as this is where I'll update the contestants and prizes! Make sure to email me at [email protected] and let me know if you are in. I will reply to you to confirm that I have gotten your email.

Contestants to date:

Doe Master
Munch
Josh1963
Michigan Man
Crazy Farmer
Beerwolf
xbowking
fratri
Woody Williams
Newfiejig
Straightshooter
perrysbirds
Crunch
Fletch
Ecoaster
The Frenchman
Catcher
Sandman
Yakman$
killshot
Wheelie

Prizes:

1 set Big John's Bolts" in Blazing Tigers Pattern (Courtesy of John)

$50.00 gift certificate from Bass Pro (Courtesy of fogducker)

Top quiver mount "MunchMount" - 3 styles to choose from winners choice (Courtesy of Munch)

Hand crafted wing bone call (Courtesy of xbowking)

Eastman Outfitters Turkey Tail Mounting Kit (Courtesy of Ecoaster)

Quaker Boy Original Aluminator Call(Courtesy of www.Hunt-Indiana.com)

New Guy NGSS System
Last edited by BigBwanaD on Sun May 10, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Can Isabelle be bribed with barney DVD's? :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

btw, we dont have tag colors here in Va. We print the license off the PC and get 3 tags on the same license as our deer tags. I can post a picture of the license notched, with the number with the turkey.

I have to go back out and take more pics since I didnt put the shotgun in the pic :P
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Just a quick question . What are you going to do with a atypical bearded bird ? :shock:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Doe Master wrote:Just a quick question . What are you going to do with a atypical bearded bird ? :shock:
measure the longest beard :P I would be nice to get a triple bearded one and add every beard up LOL :P

btw, I notice the spur score....

1 & 1/8th is supposed to be 1.125 correct? not 2.125?

should be 11.25 and not 21.25 :P
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

No crazy it is actually 2.125 because you add the two spurs then times ten.
Person I hunt with shot a four bearded bird BUT when he took it to a friend to mount his dog chewed up the strip of beards . He kept apoligizing to him . :shock:
BigBwanaD

Post by BigBwanaD »

Doe Master, I thought I had considered every possibility but missed a big one there. Let's measure the longest beard for inclusion in the calculation. Multiple beards will bring lots of admiration from our brothers and sisters here if any of us are fortunate to harvest one. As far as the tags, I really don't think I have met someone in here that is purely devious so let's try to run an honest game here and enjoy it. If something seems completely phoney then we'll put it to the test.

This will be great fun. I will post everything I get at night so that I can stay a top of all that is ahead of us. Safe hunting to all and good luck!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Doe Master wrote:No crazy it is actually 2.125 because you add the two spurs then times ten.
Sorry, I had one of those blonde moments that women have I think :D

Big B, everyone knows everyone here for the most part so I doubt anyone will have any issues.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

crazyfarmer wrote:
Doe Master wrote:No crazy it is actually 2.125 because you add the two spurs then times ten.
Big B, everyone knows everyone here for the most part so I doubt anyone will have any issues.
Phew, I was worried I would have to apply a tape measure to my bird.. That was an awkward moment..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
michiganman

turkey

Post by michiganman »

dont you think we should have the weight in there for total.this will tell how big the birds get in different areas,JIM
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
BigBwanaD

Post by BigBwanaD »

I think we should post the weights for bragging rights but not use it as a competitve measure. A bird with an arrow passed through it is certainly going to weigh less than one with 2.5 ounces of lead buried in it. Also, the bird Crazy took weighs 4 pounds more for rolling into the creek before it died. :lol:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

BigBwanaD wrote:I think we should post the weights for bragging rights but not use it as a competitve measure. A bird with an arrow passed through it is certainly going to weigh less than one with 2.5 ounces of lead buried in it. Also, the bird Crazy took weighs 4 pounds more for rolling into the creek before it died. :lol:
I took a hair dryer to him before weighing now :P :lol:

its hard to police weights anyway online so its just for bragging right anyway :D glad to see everyone having fun with this :lol:
michiganman

turkey contest

Post by michiganman »

back up to the top,theres also a sticky posted for pictures to go along with this contest.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
BigBwanaD

Post by BigBwanaD »

Thanks Jim for TTT!

Added two new contestants today. Sorry about the delay guys, work swallowed me for a couple of days!