feathers or vanes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SPITFIRE

feathers or vanes

Post by SPITFIRE »

I was thinking about trying feathers . I was woundering how they hold up to crossbow shooting. I have been using 5" vanes so far and work fine. Just want to try something new. HAPPY EASTER ALL

SPITFIRE
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

They would work fine, a little more maintenance though.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

If there's one thing that ruffles my feathers in an archery discussion, it's guys who insist that vanes are as good as feathers when shooting off the shelf or from any type of rest where the fletching comes in contact with the launching surface.

They're not as good in that circumstance.

In a full clearance situation, vanes are as good, and are more durable.

There are other notables, but not worth discussion.

In a crossbow, I'll stick with vanes. :D
Grizz
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

OK GUYS, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I will stick to vanes and take your advise.
Big John

n

Post by Big John »

I have shot and hunted with both. They are equally good. Feathers are not very good for hunting in the bush. Any contact with branch's or twigs or tall weeds and grass will damage the Feathers. and rain isnt to friendly on them as well. However they are excellent for target, dry days, and when you can avoid the above mentioned. I like feathers, and to each his own. I wouldn't hesitate to use either. But I prefer plastic vanes for many reasons. And usable in all conditions.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I went back to feathers for a number of reasons, not saying vanes aren't any good because they are, just not my thing, a 2in blazer 6grs 4in feather 3grs my goldtip lazers weigh 352grs with 100gr bh i cut my brass inserts down to 60grs 9grs feathers 12grs wrap 20gr nock Iwent for speed on my emax can't get it with vanes

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Boo

Post by Boo »

There are many reasons to use feathers but fewer to not use them. Basically you have to decide if the trouble associated with feathers is worth the extra speed, increase of FOC and enhanced accuracy. Here's some reading on this subject.
http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/facts.htm
Some people just like stepping on rakes
the elf

feathers or vanes

Post by the elf »

Hi Grizz-----I use both feathers and vanes in my trad bows shooting off the shelf but have 2 strings one for feathers and one for vanes for rainy days. The string for vanes has a higher nocking point than the one for feathers. It takes a very few shots to readjust from either one back to the other.
crazyfarmer

Re: post sub

Post by crazyfarmer »

I personally like plastic since its easier to keep up. PLus the blazers only weigh 5-6 grains. Not knocking feathers, but each has their place in archery :D
Last edited by crazyfarmer on Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

Well, since I am not instered in speed and do not need all my arrows to go into the same hole , I guess vanes will suite me just fine. Boo ,thank you for the webb site it answered many questions. Crazyfarmer as always your advice is very helpful as well.

SPITFIRE
fuzzy

Re: feathers or vanes

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

" Try sliicing your feathers " fuzzy that is a new one on me . Please explain.

SPITFIRE
mikew

Post by mikew »

SPITFIRE wrote:" Try sliicing your feathers " fuzzy that is a new one on me . Please explain.
Basically, you take part of one feather & part of another, and they become ONE of the feathers in your fletching.

True Flight shows splicing in their guide, with a link to examples:
http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/guide.htm

It can look VERY cool.
-Mike
shifty

Post by shifty »

Im going to try feathers on my 2219s with the 150 bolt cutters in my equinox this year. alminums are straighter then carbons. The feathers give a better FOC and I love K.E
trky chsr

Post by trky chsr »

Or you can do what I do and fletch your bolts with feathers from wild turkeys you harvested. They're the best looking of them all. I also use a hip quiver and have had no problems at all with the durability of my feather fletching. Yes you do have to replace the odd one but the same goes for vanes. TC