Another Way To Set Up Your Scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

trky chsr

Another Way To Set Up Your Scope

Post by trky chsr »

After misjudging the yardage a couple of times last year on deer (note to self mark trees with your rangefinder BEHIND you as well!) and using the wrong crosshairs on my vari-zone scope with the expected poor results I decided to play a little tonight. Taking a que from my compound shooting days I deccided to set up the main "20yd" crosshair at 30 yds instead and see what happens. Well at 15 yds I shot about 2" high, 20yds basically right on, 30 yds right on and 35 yds about 2" low. So for this fall you can bet I'll leave it right there, same if I use it for turkey this year. I have a Exocet 200 with Goldtip bolts (with brass inserts), wild turkey feather fletching and 100grain heads (Muzzys for hunting). I was shooting off a bench with a solid rest. TC
mikej

Post by mikej »

that is a good i dea , i will give it a try with my phoenix
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I have always been a "one pin" compound shooter. Worked for me ... killed many deer ... never used the "wrong pin" excuse. If I missed, I just missed.

My Exomax crossbow is fast enough to make "one crosshair" shooting practical for hunting, too.

I like to keep things simple.
Grizz
saxman

Post by saxman »

Good idea
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
fuzzy

Re: Another Way To Set Up Your Scope

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cabinfever

Post by cabinfever »

I also have been a single pin shooter for years with my compound bow.
I bought a Horton crossbow lastyear from my brother it had a single reddot on it and I loved it. That will be my backup bow this year. I took 3 doe with it lastyear. I,m going to try the multi points on the Lumizone this year.
exocet 200
grounponder
lumizone
mathews switchback
high country extreme
trky chsr

Re: Another Way To Set Up Your Scope

Post by trky chsr »

fuzzy wrote:
trky chsr wrote:After misjudging the yardage a couple of times last year on deer (note to self mark trees with your rangefinder BEHIND you as well!) and using the wrong crosshairs on my vari-zone scope with the expected poor results I decided to play a little tonight. Taking a que from my compound shooting days I deccided to set up the main "20yd" crosshair at 30 yds instead and see what happens. Well at 15 yds I shot about 2" high, 20yds basically right on, 30 yds right on and 35 yds about 2" low. So for this fall you can bet I'll leave it right there, same if I use it for turkey this year. I have a Exocet 200 with Goldtip bolts (with brass inserts), wild turkey feather fletching and 100grain heads (Muzzys for hunting). I was shooting off a bench with a solid rest. TC

You now have "battle sights" on a "percision xbow". A 4" window from 15 to 35 yards will work fine, but if you have the kit why not shoot for the gold ring? :lol:
The short answer is I screwed up with the "gold ring" setup last year so I thought I would try this. In hindsight I should have set it up this way from the start. In my compound shooting days I probably missed 8 or 9 deer before the single pin light came on :D TC
wabi

Post by wabi »

Same thing I did last year and have mentioned several times in my posts. But I used a 25 yard sight in for my Phoenix.
Any deer within 30 yards (my personal maximum) and a hold centered in the kill zone will put the arrow where it needs to go.
wabi
liaf

Post by liaf »

bstout wrote:Most longtime archery hunters that I know use a single pin (or crosshair) and take multiple deer using archery equipment every year.
I only target shoot now as x-bows are still ILLEGAL in my state but when I shot a compound it was one pin with hold under or hold over. Right now I am shooting a zeiss z point which is a single red dot sight which means i have to learn hold over/under to shoot it well.
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.