Do turkeys "jump the string"?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Do turkeys "jump the string"?

Post by Pydpiper »

This year I am leaving the shotgun home and chasing birds with my Excalibur, I benched up my bow yesterday with a fresh new Boo string and hammered away at my target to make sure my scope was still shooting perfect and to sort out arrows that were "shot out" during the winter months.
It is my intention to do a head shot only, if I cant hit it clean in the thinker it will walk again for another day. The bow, from a bench could hit the turkeys head every shot right out to 50 yards on my beat up turkey patterning sheet. It wasn't until later that even considered the bird jumping the string. Natural movement I am prepared for, but would like to hear some experience with a birds reaction to the crack of a crossbow.
Thanks!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

It seems they can see the arrow coming when shot at a distance. I've seen video where they seem to move their head to avoid an arrow coming from the direction they were looking. On the other hand, I had one that didn't budge when his partner was shot, right next to him, with a shotgun.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Good point about seeing it, something else I may have overlooked. I have some full camo arrows I made last year but decided against using for the "loss" factor.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

What broadheads are you planning on using.

I'm setting my Phoenix up with the 150 grain Turkey Tom-A-Hawks. These are mechanicals with a 3 1/2 cut. Wasn't planning on head shots though.
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I am going to try the Rocket Hammerheads with a Zwicky, they shoot great for me, they too have a big cut diameter.
WMU 91
Boo string
dutchhunter

bow arrow

Post by dutchhunter »

i have shot one with my bow but not a head shot .i would not try it with a normal head thy real;y are not made for killing like that .thy do work good on body shots .i think even if you hit the head with a broad head the head will move on impact being pushed out of the way or off side .glancing blow .go with the body shot my 2 cents DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Bowster

Re: bow arrow

Post by Bowster »

dutchhunter wrote:i have shot one with my bow but not a head shot .i would not try it with a normal head thy real;y are not made for killing like that .thy do work good on body shots .i think even if you hit the head with a broad head the head will move on impact being pushed out of the way or off side .glancing blow .go with the body shot my 2 cents DUTCH
That was my concern with the mechanical head. They depend on impact to deploy the blades.

Aren't the Hammerheads mechanical as well.
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

By head shot I mean the neck just below the head, a single banded Hammerhead will fully deploy the blade that makes contact with anything. I have dozens of shots in to small apples/potatoes suspended by strings to see if they would deflect or deploy. I am not concerned with that part of it.
WMU 91
Boo string
dutchhunter

arrows

Post by dutchhunter »

i wish you good luck .hen i hunt them with the bow i like to have a buddy along with some fire power for back up .it would realy suck to have a bird holed up at 40 0r 50 yards and for some reason not be able to get a shot with the bow .could be becoues we hunt a high presure area with a lot of hunters DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

David, good luck! I'm reminded of a saying I heard/read: "Hit 'em low, down they go, hit 'em high, off they fly".

Another vote for the body shot, although if you pull the trigger on one, my money is on you regardless of where you aim!
"Eze 18:21"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I love to hit them in the upper leg. Never got one with an arrow, but, if I ever have the chance, it will be an upper leg. Once the leg is broken, they can't run nor fly. The last one I shot was from 40 yards with my .270 and I decided to take the shot you described. I missed my target slightly and he almost got away. You know full well how fast they can be when injured and how well they disappear in the brush. :evil: Take their legs away . . .I'll never try the lower neck again . . .I think their head moves in order to move their legs to start running, like a pidgeon. :lol: Or I could have flinched . . . :oops:

I never found the legs much for eating either, too tough.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Tom

Post by Tom »

Hey David, a head shot on a turkey is not undoable, but is alot more dificult then a body shot. Remember that a turkey's head is always moving, bobbing up & down, swinging left and right looking for danger, as well as up and down to pick up some kernel off the ground.

Yes these crossbows are accurate enough to do the job (that is hit what you are aiming at the size of it's head), but with all the constant movement of the head, you are giving yourself a tough time for a head shot only.I would also use a fixed blade for head shots only because with a mechanical, you need the exact point to make contact for the kill and the fixed blades could be a slight miss, but have a blade cut and kill the bird. With the head movement, misses are more likely.

good luck
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) Just my 2 cents worth Dave but the first bird I shot at with bow .I hit slightly high and I never did get him when he flew away .They leave a CRAPPY bloodtrail when they fly :shock: . Bird I shot last year was hit in the butt of the wing he went 10 yards and fell over . :D
just a feed boy

Post by just a feed boy »

Last fall I tried a head shot I had range finded the distance prior to them coming in. After it was all said and done I missed, yes I did get to cock and shoot again, this time distance unknown. Strike two clean miss. Upon retriveing the arrows where I thought the birds were in visual reference and where they were were 12 yds difference. I should have tried the body shot I might have had a chance., when I was on the stand I would have swore that they ducked the arrow till I got down and range finded the distance. And knew that was my problem. I know the bow is accurate. It was my own fault. I wanted to see the head come off
peter p

Post by peter p »

Pydpiper,
I think you will have a better chance with a body shot than a head shot with your set up.
Do a search on the internet showing all the different arrow shot placements on a turkey.
Just my 2 cents.