Brace height again.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cptmobile

Brace height again.

Post by cptmobile »

I am new to Excaliburs and just learning. I was wondering about brace height. I just put a new string on and my height is close to 2". About 7/8" trigger side of the line - bow has single line not double. The bow is an Exomax with an excel string (1994). Is it safe to "shoot in" like this. Read through some other posts and there is a lot of mixed info as to what should be done. Also does anyone have the measurements for either side of the line? Saw them on here but can't find them.
Thanks
Jeff
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Hard to get an "unsafe" brace height, it can get close if the string starts smacking off the riser, it will damage the string. The other extreme is if it is too short, that will simply shorten your draw length and cause the arrow to go a bit slower.
Make sure it has a twist or two in it and shoot away!
Measure how far you single line is from the riser, we can figure it out from there.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
cptmobile

Post by cptmobile »

My line is at 1-1/16" so in your area of 1-1/8". The string has stretch out to a height of 1-3/4" already after about an hour. I will see where it sits after some shots tommorow. It is my first time stringing it so I wasn't sure? I assumed that it would just travel slower as the draw length is a little shorter, but to be on the safe side thought I would ask.
Thanks
Jeff
mikej

Post by mikej »

i keep mine at 1 1/8"
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

I have the older exocet with a single line and magtips. I found the best brace height for me is right on top of the line with a Flemish FF string.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

A brace height of 1 to 1 3/4 inches is acceptable. It's just a matter of personal perference. Usually the sweet spot is at 1 1/8".

David, your string looks familiar. Am I correct in surmising that that's a brown and tan Comfy string in your pic? :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

ComfyBear wrote:A brace height of 1 to 1 3/4 inches is acceptable. It's just a matter of personal preference. Usually the sweet spot is at 1 1/8".

David, your string looks familiar. Am I correct in surmising that that's a brown and tan Comfy string in your pic? :wink:
Sure is Lou! That is the one I severed a strand or two on in my first attempt at a serving. :D The rest of the string is still alive and well on my sons crossbow.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string