Va BBD #2

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Va BBD #2

Post by crazyfarmer »

Today was an action packed hunt! The Sheriff of my Department has wanted me to take him hunting all year so this was his 2nd time out this season for spring gobbler. He’s never taken a long beard. The 1st day another guy took him but they didn’t even hear a bird. Well I knew where a few birds were so we went and setup. Right before sunrise we heard 4 gobblers roughly 200 yards off. We just knew everything was going to work perfect! Since they should (note the should part) work right around a ridgeline into the field where we had the decoy set. Well after about 50 gobbles they flew down and decided to stay silent. Well isn’t this great! We stayed there for a good 40minutes just in case they decide to hit the field. Nothing. So we moved out of that area. I didn’t want to risk walking in the woods and spooking them. We hit another field, but heard nothing. Well its about 8:15am now and we decided to ride back by that field and guess what. 2 big birds were strutting just about 20 yards from the corner we had setup in. Lovely! We tried to circle them but only could get within 75 yards. It was a good show, but the 2 hens they had with them didn’t like my young hen call and took their men off. Well by this time it was approaching 9am and my partner had to head off for little league. However, my day wasn’t over yet. I tried a different area I hadn’t hunted yet. I scouted and roosted a bird there 3 days ago so I know one was in the area. It’s a long logging road that goes for about 1-2miles. This was perfect for late morning walking and calling. Well after walking a good mile (no joke) I was about to head back. I tried one last yelp and GOBBLE GOBBLE about 125 yards away. I stuck the decoy on the edge of the road and moved back 20 yards. The area was wide open so I couldn’t move hardly any for a better setup. I found a big oak and settled in. I called 2-3 soft yelps and nothing. This is where once upon a time I would screw things up. I would normally call loudly here since he didn’t answer. Instead, I set and waited 5mins and hit the slate softly. GOBBLE GOBBLE 75 yards away. He’s coming! I held off the call and I could hear walking (sounded like a nice buck coming LOL). Then he appears in the oak flat right off the side of the logging road. It was a beautiful site! He spotted the decoy but he was walking parallel to the road, opposite my side. I had my knee up with the gun rested and the glass call on my waist. This comes in handy when you are solo hunting since you can actually hold the gun on your shoulder and still use your hand to make the calls on the glass/slate. He exploded in full strut with the THUMP sound. 40 yards now! But then he decides to keep walking. Playing hard to get it seems. This was a close as he’s going to get. The woods is wide open and I have great faith in my guns pattern out to 40 yards. I rested the double beads on his neck and pulled. Thump he was done. He was actually 42 yards, which is my longest shot to date with my 11/87 for turkeys. I normally wont take that shot, but it was PERFECT conditions. So my 2nd day out and bird #2 is down. The measurements are about the same as my other bird from opening day.

Weight – 22 1/4th pounds
Beard – 10 1/4th(had some broken off but no big deal)
Spurs – 1inch

I have 1 tag left but plan on taking friends the rest of the year. I’ll hold out for something I know is good, but right now I’m perfectly happy with these 2 birds. The time of this kill was 10:22am.

Here are a few pictures of this bird. Yes this ones dry and wasn’t drowned by flodding rains…HAHAHHAHA BTW, I called the Sheriff and he wasn’t happy. Well he was, but wasn’t at the same time LOL You can guess why. Thanks for reading and goodluck to everyone else!

Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Way to go, Crazy! Nice bird! 8)

The only trigger I've been pulling today is on my Stihl weedeater! :(
Grizz
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Its so nice to be reading hunting stories again. Way to go Crazy Farmer!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Boo

Post by Boo »

Congratulations Harold! Nice bird!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Great Bird!!!

And do I detect the faint hint of a smile in picture number two?
killshot

Post by killshot »

Nice bird CF. Congrats
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-zone Scope
150 Grain Boltcutters
NGSS
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Way to stick it out! Good tom.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
lscha

Post by lscha »

Mike P wrote:Great Bird!!!

And do I detect the faint hint of a smile in picture number two?
I thought I caught that too.

Nice bird. I hope I can connect this year.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
fletch

Post by fletch »

Nice second CF. You are putting it to them this year.
Exomax w/ Lumizone
custom Boo string w/silencers
GT II's w/r helical 4 deg offset
Slik Triks and Lumenoks
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

congrats , a beautiful bird and a great story!
thanks philip
Normous

Post by Normous »

I noticed your trying to smile :lol: Congrats!
I hope the Sheriff gets one with your assistance. Favors might get returned if you enjoy speeding every now and then. I have been fortunate in that regard.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Good one CF, I know there's a bigger one than him down there :)

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
crazyfarmer

Re: post sub

Post by crazyfarmer »

Limbs and Bolts wrote:Good one CF, I know there's a bigger one than him down there :)

Wes
there is, but he's gone silent. Im saving my last tag for him but everyone's after that bird. 2 trucks were parked in the field he's been in this morning, but none heard a gobble LOL.

enormous, I hope I can flash my badge and get off if that happens :P not saying I speed though :oops:

the sun was in my eye so I was actaully smirking from that :P :P Thanks to my wifey for taking pics also. Its alot easier than setting a 10sec timer and running back and forth.

since ive been hunting ive only had one year as good as this.. 3 birds in 4 days of hunting and then I went on call for friend mode. Ill still hunt hard, but he's gonna have to be a good thick bearded bird.

I want a arrow one, but I just love the shotgun for this to much :D
Grizzly Adam

Re: post sub

Post by Grizzly Adam »

crazyfarmer wrote: enormous, I hope I can flash my badge and get off if that happens :P not saying I speed though :oops:
Better not have the pedal to the metal, Crazy, unless you're in hot pursuit ... those who enforce it gotta live it! :P :lol: :wink:
Grizz
roly

Post by roly »

CF nice pair of aces ,hope you make it a set. :D