Easy insert removal

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

theoldarcher

Easy insert removal

Post by theoldarcher »

Most of you probably already know this but for the ones like me who didn’t, I found an easy way of removing inserts and nocks from carbon shafts glued in by super glue. I soaked the end of the shaft with the insert in acetone for about five minuets. While the tip is still wet, take a set of pliers and turn the insert holding the shaft secure. It may take a time of two of soaking but the inserts come right out.
korey99

Post by korey99 »

I found hot water works well too....melts the glue a bit and they come out pretty easily. I screw in an old field point, clamp it in the vice, and give it a little tug...presto.

Korey
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Wouldn't prolonged exposure to acetone weaken the fibers of carbon? I get leary just using it to wipe down the shaft in preparation for fletching.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

I wish I had known this a while back. I was getting lots of bolts destroyed by being hit from other bolts (nice problem to have huh?) till I figured out to use one bolt at one specific target. (DUH :roll: ).

Anyway speaks for the incredible accuracy of the Excalibur Crossbow. I switched to Hot Melt as recommended on this forum and it works great and easy to remove with a little heat.

Thanks for the info though.
BUS314

!

Post by BUS314 »

Pydpiper wrote:Wouldn't prolonged exposure to acetone weaken the fibers of carbon? I get leary just using it to wipe down the shaft in preparation for fletching.
I think so
Cutter

Post by Cutter »

Is it hard to remove the factory installed inserts from the fire bolts? What would be the best method to use on them?

Cutter
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Cutter wrote:Is it hard to remove the factory installed inserts from the fire bolts? What would be the best method to use on them?

Cutter
The way it was explained to me and has worked great..
First, remember not to get the carbon hot, it will destroy it.
Get a long piece of threaded rod or a long screw, I found the ones that hold the plant hooks in the ceiling work great, they are threaded the same and can be had at the dollar store. thread the rod or screw in to the nock/insert and put the other end in a vice, heat that rod a few inches from the arrow until it gives off a whiff of smoke and gently pull, it should slide right out. Make sure the glue has let go before you pull too hard, it is easy to yank fibers right off the inside of the shaft, rendering it useless.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
mikej

Post by mikej »

will that work with aluminum to pyd
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

mikej wrote:will that work with aluminum to pyd
I don't see why not. Now keep in mind I have only done this with factory glue, and am only speaking from that experience.
WMU 91
Boo string
mikej

Post by mikej »

so far i have only used store bought arrows so it should work
Cutter

Post by Cutter »

Thanks a lot for the info Pydpiper :!:

Very much appreciated :!: :D

Cutter
animal

Post by animal »

Pydpiper wrote:
Cutter wrote:Is it hard to remove the factory installed inserts from the fire bolts? What would be the best method to use on them?

Cutter
The way it was explained to me and has worked great..
First, remember not to get the carbon hot, it will destroy it.
Get a long piece of threaded rod or a long screw, I found the ones that hold the plant hooks in the ceiling work great, they are threaded the same and can be had at the dollar store. thread the rod or screw in to the nock/insert and put the other end in a vice, heat that rod a few inches from the arrow until it gives off a whiff of smoke and gently pull, it should slide right out. Make sure the glue has let go before you pull too hard, it is easy to yank fibers right off the inside of the shaft, rendering it useless.

I USED A FIELD TIP WORKED GREAT TO, HEAT AND CHECK HEAT AND CHECK DON'T LET IT GET TO HOT OR YOUR GOING TO PULL OUT LOTS OF FIBERS ,AND DON'T PULL TO HARD THE SAME WILL HAPPEN IF GLUE IS NOT SOFTENED ENOUGH . AND I USED PLIERS . LOST 1 OUT OF 6
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
diesel

Post by diesel »

I use a 1/4" rod about 10 " long. remove the insert , install the rod and bounce it up and down so it drives or taps the nock out.