New Member with my first question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

-stimps-

New Member with my first question

Post by -stimps- »

Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forum here and wanted to say HI, I just purchased a 2009 Model Equinox with the Right Stuff Package and I also just ordered a dozen arrows from Crazyfarmer and a groundpounder top mount from groundpounder, and once I get some time in shooting I look forward to purchase one of Boo's Custom Strings.

The question I have is I need to shorten the stock on my Equinox by about 3-4 inches and I'm curious if anyone has ever done such a thing. I'm looking for any idea's how i can cut it down and re-attach the original butt plate back onto it. Does anyone know exactly what it is made of? is it a type of composite? I'm a little worried as it if fairly thin to work with in the middle of the stock. And I also want to get the job done so it still is very strong but also looks like it was made like that. (I don't want to peel off all the camo)

Thanx
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Welcome to the forum!
3 to 4 inches is a long ways, I would consider contacting Excalibur if it is really important to you. I am sure it is possible, but it isn't a very common topic around here, but rest assured if it can get done these guys will be the ones to help.
Sounds like you are well on your way to some fine shooting!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I don't know about cutting one down like that but.... Not saying its not possible though. What first comes to mind for me would be to cut off as much as you need then make a new but plate that would fit completely over and around the cut edge with a couple cross bolts or some type of adhesive to attach. Or you might try your hand at a custom stock being made. I've seen several on here lately make their own with great looking results.
Why ride when you can walk!
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Don't think cutting it is a very good option from a resale option. Should have maybe went to a shorter stocked Vixon or something. Don't think with enought time and practise you can get used to it the way it is? I would call Excalipur and ask what a second stock is worth for it. They were willing to sell me a new thumbhole stock. Just another option for you.
diesel

Post by diesel »

Welcome to the forum. Sorry no good ideal on how to shorton the stock.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

welcome and I was wondering if you had joined here :D

I wish I could help with the stock issue but ive never seen that done before. But as said, I doubt you could ever get a good price if you resold it. Another option would be to maybe have someone make you a custom fit wooden stock. It wouldnt be cheap, but it would match your needs perfectly, or as said, maybe purchase a spare stock to trim:)
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Without attempting to pry too much, is it possible to ask why you want to cut the stock down by the amount you mentioned?

Is it strictly a fit issue?
-stimps-

Post by -stimps- »

Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned, I have a disablilty in which my upper limbs are about half the length of a "normal" person's. I'm not too worried about the resale of my crossbow as all my rifles were cut down to fit me so I can shoulder them with no problems, but they all have wood stocks though.

Thanx, all the help is greatly appreciated.

-stimps-
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Welcome aboard

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

stimps, are you in the United States or Canada?
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I still think you could cut down the stock to your desired length, then get a rifle but plate, add a short piece of wood or plastic. Mill a slot (pocket)in the wood or plastick the same size as the cut end of your Excal stock and slip fit the new but plate over your cut edge of the stock. Attach with a gorilla type glue or epoxy. I would go with a glue that would stay somewhat plyable versus getting dry and brittle when fully cured. A brittle glue would crack with extreme temperature changes or possibly with the shock of firing the crossbow.

Just my thoughts on a way.
Why ride when you can walk!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome to the forum, Stimps! :D

Sounds like you're starting out with some top-notch accessories and gear! 8)
-stimps- wrote: I have a disablilty in which my upper limbs are about half the length of a "normal" person's. I'm not too worried about the resale of my crossbow as all my rifles were cut down to fit me so I can shoulder them with no problems,
I felt sure that it was a length-of-pull issue. I don't doubt but what you could cut down the factory buttstock and adapt a recoil pad to fit. I am sure a skilled stocker/gunsmith could help you in some way. As for having a custom wooden stock made, the Excal stocks do not require complicated inletting. In fact, you can fashion a very suitable stock using a glue-up, as one of our forum members did recently.

I wish you all the best in your quest to get that perfect fit.
Grizz
Tar Heel

Post by Tar Heel »

Stimps, welcome to the forum, call Danny Miller the excalibur rep. in the U.S. and explain your problem if anyone can do this he can. 1-740-483-2312

Tar Heel
The old man from the mountain
Chris Dillard

Post by Chris Dillard »

Welcome to the Forum.

Regards, Chris
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome to the forum