Deep frying a turkey?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Hey Pyd I did last years bird up at the cottage this past thanksgiving I cut the breast into strips and did them up in fish crisp(cajun)and put them in the fryer the kids ate them as quik as I brought them out :( I did manage to try one very tasty I had plum sauce for dipping :D
The best things in life are not things!!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

aerostarp wrote:
why deep fry when you can garbage can cook them...
heres how one i cooked up two weeks turned out...
Isn't the bird a little dry after being cooked for two weeks????? :D
I'm surprised it held up as well as it did! :P
Grizz
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

I am thinking of trying this also. Does anyone want to share some tasty secrets? What kind of oil do I use?? Seasoning??
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
LeGrand

Post by LeGrand »

I use Canola oil (yeah Canola oil, not Canada oil :lol: ).

As for the seasonning I inject the bird with special marinades, then sprinkle the ordinary seasonning on top of it before slowly (very slowly) lowering it into the pot.

I have a smoker, but I would think smoking a whole turkey would take time. Maybe cooking it in the oven first, then giving it a good flavoring smoke in the smoker.
Old Indian saying, if a leaf falls from a tree in the woods the turkey will see it, the deer will hear it, the bear will smell it, the moose will not eat it, but be on the look-out for LeGrand.
sits in trees

Post by sits in trees »

Mike P wrote:
awshucks wrote:I am not a turkey fryer. Tried it several times and quit. I used to get used peanut oil from the Chinese place in town for $5 for 5 gal and it was good clean oil.

Tried covering the bird in water to get the needed oil level, used a thermometer, all the pro tricks and ended up w/ greasy floors, half raw or half burned birds every time. I'm a frying failure, lol.

Please don't offer me suggestions for the next time, there ain't gonna be a next time, wait and give me aid I will use, lol.

It's the smoker for me or what I can cut up and get in a fry daddy.

I also must join the failed fryer fraternity.

I could live with all the little burn spots on my legs and arms from the hot peanut oil leaping out and hitting me every time I put a bird in the big long container.

I could live with 350 degree oil overflowing the top of the container when placing said bird into said container creating a slip and slide amusement park ride out of my driveway.

I just couldn't live with the Swede bitching at me regarding how unhealthy it is eating deep fried foods for weeks following my frying festivities.

Unlike shucks, I am open for suggestions as to how to silence her. But please offer only those that will take her out on the first attempt.

If I only wound her she will run me down like a dog and dispatch me unceremoniously in short order.
yea the whole turkey fryer thing isnt for me either, did it several times, take way too much time to clean the thing and i like the roasted flavor of turkey better than the deep fried flavor. also needs too much oil like 25 bucks for the cheap stuff.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I recommend cotton seed oil from Bass Pro you can re-use it 4-5 times after it cools I strain it and pour back into its container.
The best things in life are not things!!